I'm the proud owner of a BB Storm2 (and previous owner of BB Storm, Curve, Pearl, 8700, 7100,e tc., etc.) on Verizon (of course). My wife gave me an 64GB WiFi only iPad for Christmas. It drives me nuts that I can't get online with it while I'm out and about, so I'm considering ditching my Storm2 (boo hoo hoo!) for an Android device that acts as a personal hotspot.

I'm considering moving to Sprint to pick up the HTC Evo 4G, but I have a couple of concerns. First of all, it's been out for almost a year, so I don't want to buy a phone that will be leap frogged by something else in a month or two. Anyone aware of a phone coming out w/a more impressive spec sheet that the Evo 4G? Also, I travel overseas approximately 3 times a year, but the Evo 4G doesn't support GSM. Does anyone know of a comparable phone that is truly global...like my Storm2?

I'd consider staying on Verizon if they had a Wifi hotspot phone that also supports their new 4G network. I'm willing to switch to AT&T or T-Mobile as well if they have someting nice to offer. I'd really prefer a 4G phone over a 3G since I'll probably have for the next 18 months...

I have AT&T's U-verse at home (TV & Internet), so I'm strongly considering them to bundle the wireless service and save a bit of money. But I REALLY don't want to stay w/a 3G phone.

It seems like whatever choice I make, there will be drawbacks. I'm hoping to make my purchase within the next 3-4 days...and I'm totally stuck!!

I really appreciate your wide range of ideas, sugestions, & experiences! I'm sure all of the feedback will help me to make my decision!

Keith
    01-14-11 03:07 PM
    I can't speak for the other carriers but for verizon they do not have any 4G phones yet. They will be getting a Motorola 4G LTE phone in the coming months. I don't think it will be a world phone though.

As for a non BlackBerry world phone with hotspot, the only phone I can think of for Verizon is the Motorola Droid 2 Global but this is a 3G phone.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-14-11 03:17 PM
    I can't speak for the other carriers but for verizon they do not have any 4G phones yet. They will be getting a Motorola 4G LTE phone in the coming months. I don't think it will be a world phone though.

As for a non BlackBerry world phone with hotspot, the only phone I can think of for Verizon is the Motorola Droid 2 Global but this is a 3G phone.
    Thanks Valorian! I don't know if I can wait months for a 4G phone!! I could wait 30 days, max!

If Apple wouldn't restrict their devices so much, I'd be able to use my BB Storm2's data to get my iPad online using Bluetooth, but Apple doesn't allow data over Bluetooth. Because of the way Apple controls and limits its devices, I will NEVER switch to an iPhone. For $700, I should be able to whatever the heck I want with my iPad!!

Thanks agian for the input! I still have some thinking to do...

Keith
    01-14-11 03:27 PM
    Because of the way Apple controls and limits its devices, I will NEVER switch to an iPhone. For $700, I should be able to whatever the heck I want with my iPad!!

Keith
    +1 here. One of many reasons i will never own an Apple product.

Good luck on your searches.
    01-14-11 03:30 PM
    Verizon does also have their Mifi card for connecting to their data network. It would be a separate plan fee. My understanding is that is how iPad's through Verizon are connecting already.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-14-11 03:31 PM
    Verizon does also have their Mifi card for connecting to their data network. It would be a separate plan fee. My understanding is that is how iPad's through Verizon are connecting already.
    Xopher - Someting else to think about! This is getting more & more difficult. I'd prefer to have the WiFi hotspot built into the phone so that I don't have to keep up with yet another device, but at least that would allow me to keep my Storm2 & stay w/Verizon...at least until they come out with a 4G personal hotspot device. Hopefully it'll also be a BlackBerry! Rumor has it that the Storm3 will be hotspot capable...

Thanks again!
    Keith
    01-14-11 03:43 PM
    I think that there is a new 4g Sprint phone coming out called the Speedy or the Knight? Something like that, anyway, they've been calling it an EVO 2 and it should be out soon (or currently, I'm not as up on things now that I'm no longer researching a new phone for myself). The only problem is it is NOT a world phone and as far as I know there are no world phone Android models at Sprint. Verizon has the Droid pro, but like someone said it's still 3g. Sprint also has a personal mobility 4G hotspot card/keychain, whatever and the price is pretty good. I currently have a Sprint Bold and I must say the coverage both here and overseas has been wonderful and inexpensive, in my opinion. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 08:18 PM
    Xopher - Someting else to think about! This is getting more & more difficult. I'd prefer to have the WiFi hotspot built into the phone so that I don't have to keep up with yet another device, but at least that would allow me to keep my Storm2 & stay w/Verizon...at least until they come out with a 4G personal hotspot device. Hopefully it'll also be a BlackBerry! Rumor has it that the Storm3 will be hotspot capable...

Thanks again!
    Keith
    Break out a Spread Sheet!
    Check out the cost of a MiFi + Monthly costs + Current Phone Contract costs
    Check out the Cost of a New Phone from a New Carrier + Contract costs

You like your Storm, you like Blackberry, except for you want to use your iPad, You could look at selling your iPad and buying an Android or Playbook device in the coming month and a bit. you have A LOT of options, and a lot of ways to spend money here.
    01-14-11 08:31 PM
    If you are considering getting a separate mifi, a better option is the clear "spot" It's 4G and actually cheaper........

Clear Spot | Personal Mobile Internet Hotspot | Clear.com

It's WiMax (Sprint's flavor of 4G)

Virgin Mobile is another good option, they have a pay as you go mifi. You must buy the device for 149, BUT there after you can use it any month you want, or choose not to use it, you just pay when you use it.......

Broadband2Go - 3G Mobile Broadband Service | Virgin Mobile
    01-14-11 08:40 PM
    Did someone say TetherBerry?
    01-14-11 08:49 PM
    It doesn't work on the ipad, and hacking doesn't work well either, those who have tried have had only VERY limited success. I was told it's not worth trying.
    01-14-11 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD