BlackBerry 10 wasn�t formally a part of CES this year, but RIM was in town anyway, showing off the latest, near final version of BlackBerry 10, which launches on January 30. What we saw was impressive. BB 10 doesn�t completely reinvent the wheel, but it combines a lot of winning interface ideas from WebOS, Android, and iOS. In our short time with the device, we were impressed by how well its universal inbox managed everything from email to social notifications, how easy it was to manage open apps, and how well the entire interface flowed together. Like Ubuntu and Firefox OS, BB 10 plans to challenge the duopoly of Android and iPhone. With an interface that�s more appealing than Windows Phone, we think it has a chance. Read our full BlackBerry 10 hands on

Read more: Best of CES 2013 | Digital Trends
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
    01-12-13 08:37 PM
    "Like Ubuntu and Firefox OS, BB 10 plans to challenge the duopoly of Android and iPhone. "

Windows Phone is already off some people's radar for the third spot. That was fast
    01-12-13 09:42 PM
    Yeah nothing noteworthy was really announced at CES. You had companies showing of refrigerators. We will see real stuff at mobile world congress. Don't get worked up over this. It's like winning a competition where everything sucks. Congrats! You are the least suckiest. Lets all wait until we have something tangible to declare boom or bust.
    01-12-13 10:27 PM
    If RIM can launch with 70,000 apps, it will make history. For reference, Windows 8 had about 5,000 apps at launch and still hasn’t reached 70,000. This level of support has me excited that BB 10 could hit the ground running – something it desperately needs after being delayed for more than a year.
    The best part about this quote, is that this weekend, RIM hosted the Android Portathon and they added 15,000 BB10 apps to Blackberry World. Even when compared to the latest number of WP8 apps which is around 35k (with only about 22k being available in the US), BB10 is definitely going to be ahead in terms of app count.

I don't know how many apps they currently have. But the 70,000 apps milestone seems doable.
    zyben likes this.
    01-12-13 10:53 PM
    The best part about this quote, is that this weekend, RIM hosted the Android Portathon and they added 15,000 BB10 apps to Blackberry World. Even when compared to the latest number of WP8 apps which is around 35k (with only about 22k being available in the US), BB10 is definitely going to be ahead in terms of app count.

I don't know how many apps they currently have. But the 70,000 apps milestone seems doable.

Fair statement. I believe a supprise on the up side is coming. Way up!!
    01-13-13 12:58 AM

i'd rather have 7,000 USABLE apps vs. 70k of which 5k are usable, 50k are duplicated, rehashed & tired, & the rest are flashlights, farts & lousy gun immitation noises...
    calicocat2010 and bb10_fan like this.
    01-13-13 01:12 AM
    i'd rather have 7,000 USABLE apps vs. 70k of which 5k are usable, 50k are duplicated, rehashed & tired, & the rest are flashlights, farts & lousy gun immitation noises...
    Eligibility port-a-thon criteria have been tighten, so that we should only have *real* apps and no junk.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-13-13 at 05:44 AM.
    mark37724, Bilaal and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    01-13-13 05:06 AM
    What is interesting about this is that RIM didn't even have a booth at CES. They simply showed up and demoed the devices off site. That was enough to continue, and raise, excitement for what's coming. That, in itself, is impressive.
    zyben likes this.
    01-13-13 08:29 AM
    I'm pretty sure that we all feel this way. But the mainstream media will judge based on app count alone so better to have a high number.
    01-13-13 10:46 AM
    I feel bad for the Xperia Z now lol
    01-13-13 10:51 AM
    lol there were brand new phones showcased but a dev device won lol.To be honest have you seen reviews of cyborg phones long 1000 words essays on hardware nothing of user experience what actually makes the phone great outside looks.The specs dont even improve the phone so its even more funny.

Cybrog has now become a everday thing its not even worth rating. Thats what trends are about being outside the norm BB10 phones are gonna do very well im certain its premium and got that exclusive club lure.Consumers meh humans are suckers for that.
    01-13-13 11:08 AM
    I feel bad for the Xperia Z now lol
    Why? That phone is a work of art. It's beautiful from every angle, and they spent time on even the smallest details of the design. To bad we're only getting the ZL in Canada (likely North America). While it's a powerhouse of a phone and the tiny bezels are nice to highlight the beautiful screen, the over all design isn't as beautiful and the lack of water resistance will make it just another phone in the sea of Android phones that will be announced next month. It'll probably be a top end camera phone all year though only really rivaled by Nokia.

Camera, unfortunately will be the weakest aspect of the Z10 and X10 and other then the neat timeshift feature, will likely only rival a Galaxy S II in terms of performance, and be nothing special. That's fine for most of us, as BlackBerry people are used to poor cameras on our phones, but it would be nice to see RIM target the competition a little better in that regard in hopes of getting a few conquest sales. 12MP module from a supplier like Sony with a good lens should be the minimum RIM aims for for the rest of the year except for the low end phones.
    01-13-13 11:15 AM
    Why? That phone is a work of art. It's beautiful from every angle, and they spent time on even the smallest details of the design. To bad we're only getting the ZL in Canada (likely North America). While it's a powerhouse of a phone and the tiny bezels are nice to highlight the beautiful screen, the over all design isn't as beautiful and the lack of water resistance will make it just another phone in the sea of Android phones that will be announced next month. It'll probably be a top end camera phone all year though only really rivaled by Nokia.

Camera, unfortunately will be the weakest aspect of the Z10 and X10 and other then the neat timeshift feature, will likely only rival a Galaxy S II in terms of performance, and be nothing special. That's fine for most of us, as BlackBerry people are used to poor cameras on our phones, but it would be nice to see RIM target the competition a little better in that regard in hopes of getting a few conquest sales. 12MP module from a supplier like Sony with a good lens should be the minimum RIM aims for for the rest of the year except for the low end phones.
    hahah s2 level performance hahahah might want to check around the *** spankings the dev device is giving.You just another sucker falling for the gimmicks of specs myth.Fined tuned optimization is more important than specs.

The ''S3 quad core'' cant even handle the dev device.The S2 he said :rotfl .Where's your quad core now in performance??There's plenty more video's showcasing the dev kicking *** of other ''flagship'' phones.There's no point talking about ''performance'' QNX would stomp cyborg easily go do research on QNX.Dont compare RIM and the BB10 phone to these oem makers who just make parts and toss a free OS and sell it to people sold on speck gimmicks and numbers.The camera is already said by devs to be on par with an iphone and whats out now go check the threads they have video and cam shots.

I look forward to finished product and the OS being being fully optimized and tweaked the dev devices only have 1 gb ram the final hardware is confirmed to have 2gb ram.That extra ram could allow a bit more fine tunning and gives us some surprises at launch.

Talking about performance this things powered by QNX.
    01-13-13 11:47 AM

I didnt need you to go over the specs for me, I know it quite well. Im laughing because BB10 won best in mobile even though it wasnt even officially there, but the Xperia was launched there.
    01-13-13 11:53 AM
    hahah s2 level performance hahahah might want to check around the *** spankings the dev device is giving.You just another sucker falling for the gimmicks of specs myth.Fined tuned optimization is more important than specs.

The ''S3 quad core'' cant even handle the dev device.The S2 he said :rotfl .Where's your quad core now in performance??There's plenty more video's showcasing the dev kicking *** of other ''flagship'' phones.There's no point talking about ''performance'' QNX would stomp cyborg easily go do research on QNX.Dont compare RIM and the BB10 phone to these oem makers who just make parts and toss a free OS and sell it to people sold on speck gimmicks and numbers.The camera is already said by devs to be on par with an iphone and whats out now go check the threads they have video and cam shots.

I look forward to finished product and the OS being being fully optimized and tweaked the dev devices only have 1 gb ram the final hardware is confirmed to have 2gb ram.That extra ram could allow a bit more fine tunning and gives us some surprises at launch.

Talking about performance this things powered by QNX.
    Not saying you're wrong here, as the video clearly shows what can be done, but I think they were simply talking of the camera performance, not overall performance.
    01-13-13 11:56 AM
    Fair statement. I believe a supprise on the up side is coming. Way up!!
    Some numbers being tossed around are 125,000+
    01-13-13 12:02 PM