See the sig below, appearantly my info isn't "Good Enough for Crackberry"

So, I know your laughing as this is my first and most likely last post.

FINALLY, after at least 30 + hours of troubleshooting I have comprised all the necessary (in really tough cases) scenarios for properly functioning UMA and WiFi on your BB. My case is with the notorious Curve 8900 in specific but this should easily apply to all BB's.

I'm a Google-Fu Red Belt, and if you search your **** off you'll find all of these settings scattered around the internet.

My Router: Linksys WRT54GV2. Any variant including the T Mo version ending in TM will work fine.

About Routers: The Linksys WRT160N seemed to work better right out of the box for whatever reason, but DO NOT BOTHER WITH NETGEAR. I had a Netgear RangeMax. I Loved it, but there is a known device issue in which the BBerry will force the router to reset. No fixes even with firmware.

My Symptoms: ALL! Lol, seriously though:
    1. Dropping UMA but keeping WiFi
    2. Dropping UMA/WiFi for Edge
    3. Dropping UMA/WiFi but immediately reconnecting once blutooth has been switched off on my BBerry.
    4. Frequent dropping of UMA/WiFi period
    5. Router resets and loss of wireless connectivity amongst all wireless devices (i.e. PC, PS3, etc.)

The Basics: Obviously, watch for interference. I only have a microwace but baby monitors, cordless phones and the lot of 2.4 frequency devices may cause you problems even with all of these advised settings. They recommend your router be alone, about 2 - 3 feet above the ground. Mine is on top of a 60" projection TV with a Comcast box, modem, and PS3 Slim beside it. So, do whatever works for you.

The Setup:
    ***Upgrade Your Routers Firmware If A Newer Version Is Available**

1. Log in to your routers IP address, usually 192.168.1.1 (Enter this into your address bar in IE/Fire Fox/Safari)
    2. On the "Setup" page, beside "Network Setup" change your local IP address. I used 192.168.0.1. NOTE: Remember this address before you change it, once you do you'll have to login to THE NEW IP address to make changes to your configuration.
    3. Beneath where you just changed your IP address you will see were it says DHCP. Change the maximum number of DHCP users from its default (usually 50) to 6. NOTE: It doesnt have to be 6, this is simply the number refrencing how many connections to the network your router will attempt to give. If in doubt, add up how many wireless device you have, add 1 for a visitor, and add on just in case, and use that number but DON'T leave it at the default, unless you really have 50 connections.?.
    4. Beside "Setup" at the tabs menu, select "Wireless". Select "Manual" not "WiFI Protected Setup"
    5. Leave the network on mixed. The "Network Name (SSID)" is up to you but DO NOT DISABLE the SSID broadcast.
    6. Channels: only 1 of these 3, Channel 1, Channel 3, or Channel 11. For what it's worth I use Channel 1, I do not recommend Channel 6 as most routers especially older ones default to 6 or do not allow selection of a channel higher than 6. Pick the channel that gives you the least connection issues but for this purpose I'd start with Channel 1.
    7. Beside "Basic Wireless Settings" beneath the "Wireless" tab you are currently in, select "Wireless Security".
    8. Select Security mode "WPA2 Personal".
    9. Select WPA Algorithms "AES".
    10. Select "Advanced Wireless Settings" beneath the "Wireless" tab.
    11. Change "Beacon Interval" to 50
    12. Change "DTIM" to 2
    13. Change "Fragment Threshold" to 2304
    14. Change "RTS Threshold" to 2304
    15. Click the "Security" tab
    16. Uncheck "Filter Multicast". Select "VPN" under the same "Security" tab and be sure that 'IPSEC Passthrough" is enabled.
    17. Click the "Applications & Gaming" tab
    18. Name the application "Curve" or 8900 or whatever you like. Whatever you set your IP address to, add up in increments of one.
    Example: 192.168.0.100
    192.168.0.102 etc.
    Make it look like this:
    Application Start End Protocol IP Address
    Curve 4101 4104 Both 192.168.0.101
    Curve 500 500 Both 192.168.0.101
    Curve 4500 4500 Both 192.168.0.101
    Note: As stated above, that IP address is used as a example, you can find your IP address by looking at your address bad when your logged in.
    19. In the same "Applications & Gaming" tab your in, select QoS.
    20. Select Enable. Name your device (your blackberry) and set it's priority to high or highest. Enter you BBerrys MAC Address. This can be found by Menu<Settings<Options<Status. You will see WLAN MAC.
    NOTE: You can set it to high or highest depending on if you have other wireless devices. Mine is set to high and I stream my **** off with my PS3 with Netflix and gobs of movies at over 4.0 megs a second with no problems. I also have my PS3's MAC address added and it is set to highest. Do you
    21. Beneath all of this enable "WMM Support".
    22. Select the "Administration" tab and benath it select "Config Managment".
    23. Select "Back Up'. After you've backed it up, rename it D Rob's settings (LOL).

That's it!

Delete your existing WiFi profile for your location in your Blackberry and scan for networks again.

You should connect no problem, and once you do and you've saved the profile in your BB, go to WiFi options and select the network and select "Edit", then check "Allow inter-access point handover".

If you have any interference issues change the channel to what better suite you, but after 36 days, and 3 routers, this is the bees knees my friends.
    On a side note you will see NO reduction in network speed as a result of this.

Sorry it was so long but I found a little bit in alot of places and still had to troubleshoot so I wanted 1 resource for all with everything that anyone could understand.

Thanks to Crackberry.com, TMO forums, Blackberry.com, and GOOGLE.

-Peace

If it works for you, and it will request it be stickied. It'd make me feel like all these hours and dollars paid off.
    Last edited by D_Rob; 09-11-09 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Email
    09-11-09 12:24 PM
    I believe this stuff is all covered in the WiFi and UMA guide links in my signature:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/com...wifi-how-47229

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/uma-setup-how-206217
    09-11-09 12:30 PM
    Some of it yes, and I went through those same links in your signature, and got some very resourceful information, but the problem still persisted and there are points I touched upon that were not covered in your thread. Note the ports other than 4101 which I found a blackberry.com directly. also, note the beacon interval and threshold settings. I did not find these in your links. Not to say they are not there.

The 8900 is not the 83xx and is a choosy mistress with wifi. I trust you know that. This is what works, I don't want any praise, just to help people find what I (including your links) could not find before, in 1 place.
    Last edited by D_Rob; 09-11-09 at 12:40 PM.
    09-11-09 12:36 PM
    Its not my threads, but contributions from other members. Great information contained in those threads and the follow-up discussion.
    Last edited by aristile; 09-11-09 at 12:46 PM.
    09-11-09 12:41 PM
    Its not my threads, but contributions from other members. Great information contained in those threads and they follow-up discussion.
    I definitely agree, you signature was actually the first resource I found when I started troubleshooting.
    09-11-09 12:42 PM
    Then doesn't this thread really belong in the "BlackBerry Tips, How To & FAQ" forum????
    09-11-09 12:56 PM
    Wow, is there a point in this? I posted to help. If all that's out there is hate I obviously had the wrong idea.

I'd say "device help and discussions" sounds legit for the place to put uma HELP for the multiple bberry DEVICES thats open for DISCUSSION.

Or did I miss something
    09-11-09 01:05 PM
    Better Solution : I'll pull it and let every newbie 1 by 1 ask the same questions over and over and try 1 thing at a time, or post it somewhere else where someone who needs the help will read it, not a bunch of competitive site mongers.

Geez fellas, it wasn't a pissing contest
    09-11-09 01:08 PM
    See the sig below, appearantly my info isn't "Good Enough for Crackberry"
    Wow, I do believe I covered all of this in my UMA guide. Some of the extra ports you mentioned have nothing to do with/for the Blackberry. I do commend you on your time and effort for making this.....but....it has already been covered.

Thanks though for the time you put in. Nothing new however.
    09-11-09 01:12 PM
    Sorry Rob. You cannot compete with the greats. LoloL.

Kidddinggggg.

XoX

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 01:21 PM
    wow.... Rob you could also add your info to those threads as well...
    09-11-09 01:24 PM
    Wow, I do believe I covered all of this in my UMA guide. Some of the extra ports you mentioned have nothing to do with/for the Blackberry. I do commend you on your time and effort for making this.....but....it has already been covered.

Thanks though for the time you put in. Nothing new however.

Straight of RIM's website, and yes, it made all the difference in the world between being connected and staying connected for me atleast.

I was greatfull for everyone else's input, but because it's my first thread don't assume i'm new to networking, after all, my first thread is a how to.

Some routers have worked right out of the box, but this is not every case.

blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11 735&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_SUPPORTISSUE_1_1&dialog ID=164444404&stateId=1%200%20167264189]View Document

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) and generic access network (GAN)
    Doc ID : KB11735
    Last Modified : 12-02-2008
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment

* BlackBerry� 8820 smartphone

Overview

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) and generic access network (GAN) are terms describing the system that allows a BlackBerry smartphone enabled with Wi-Fi� technology to access the mobile network through a wireless local area network (WLAN). The terms UMA and GAN are interchangeable.

Within the UMA/GAN system, a smartphone enabled with Wi-Fi technology connects to a WLAN and establishes a secure Internet Protocol (IP) connection to a generic access network controller (GANC).

UMA/GAN may require the configuration of ports 4500 and 500 on the home network. Contact your wireless service provider for information on the configuration of ports on home networks.

Additional Information

Contact your wireless service provider for information regarding the availability and use of UMA/GAN.

Products

* BlackBerry� Devices
    09-11-09 01:25 PM
    Boo......Yow!
    09-11-09 01:26 PM
    What is Boo....Yow??
    09-11-09 01:29 PM
    Relax and take a deep breath...

I would have and often do make the same suggestions to others here that are asking Mac question to ask them in the Mac Users forum... why not post the information or question in the correct location???
    09-11-09 01:33 PM
    Relax and take a deep breath...

I would have and often do make the same suggestions to others here that are asking Mac question to ask them in the Mac Users forum... why not post the information or question in the correct location???
    I would love to have done that But It wouldn't let me post there, so here is where i put it.
    09-11-09 01:38 PM
    awesome work D rob......aristile is a bit testy today and he has his followers.....but I tell you this.....fantastic work....its concise ...thorough and well researched............FANTASTIC work brother...perfect example of what CB is all about.....stay with us man....dont bail ....we need you here and so do those who need help.....dont let a few get to ya....
    09-11-09 08:38 PM
    boo .......yow...lmao.....I say woop- woop and get the same responses.....lmao
    09-11-09 08:39 PM
    Thanks for the info. Very easy to understand and read. I might try out a few tweaks in the morning from your list

I will say I hate the handover thing. Yeah it keeps my connection and flips to EDGE if i go out of range ... but it always screws up if i come back into range and then I have to do a scan to get back onto wifi... where if i leave it the way it came it hooks up automatically
    09-11-09 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD