I have a Sprint Curve (8330) and when I went to Best Buy I noticed that the trackball surface on other Curves are different.

My trackball is a hard plastic and I noticed that the Curves that they had for Verizon and AT&T have trackballs that are more of a rubbery material, like IBM track pads. Not that I'm complaining, because the action seems quicker with the hard plastic type.

Does this difference have to do with what provider you have, or did Blackberry make a change to their trackballs?
    12-06-08 07:06 PM
    Not sure if it is a carrier issue. I have a Pearl that has a t/ball
    that rolls very smooth and a Curve with one that has more of
    a "gritty" feel. They are both AT&T units. I do prefer the "gritty"
    feeling one much better.

Most of the ones I have handled in stores don't have the smooth
    rolling one, regardless of carrier.
    12-06-08 07:25 PM
    Interesting. Maybe they make different versions, regardless of carrier. Next time I'm at the Sprint Store I'll have to check the trackball on their display unit and see if it's like mine.

I wouldn't mind the "gritty-feel" rubbery trackball, for more of a controlled feel, but the action with my harder, plastic surfaced one, is very quick, so that's a plus. I'm also thinking that their might be less thumb fatigue with the smoother, harder surface. One small negative is the scratchy sound it makes as I navigate.
    Last edited by robcourt; 12-06-08 at 07:39 PM.
    12-06-08 07:35 PM
    If the scratchy sound annoys you now the gritty one will drive
    you nearly mad. But do check them out and see. The speed isn't
    affected by the feel and I do not mind the sound.
    12-06-08 07:40 PM
    I guess it's not too annoying, just different, and I don't mind it. Does the gritty one make a sound, that you say it would drive me mad?

My wife loves my Curve and the harder, smoother trackball and I'm thinking of getting her one for X-Mas. I guess the Sprint Rep will be opening up boxes to make sure she gets the same trackball as mine.
    12-06-08 07:52 PM
    Track balls will switch between units. They are all the same fit just somewhere in the process get a different feel. Now you could of seen a dummy phone I bought a couple for my son as toys. They have a silicone ball in them. I take everything apart lol ... So if you find one you like and the other person likes your t ball better trade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 08:01 PM
    Yes, the gritty makes a noticeable sound. I like it but that's me.
    Your actual mileage may vary... Good idea on checking it out
    in the store. No surprises there. That is the main reason I have
    not bought a new one. No way to know what I'll get.
    12-06-08 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD