After chewing on the last two weeks news, and talking to my Blackberry rep, there are some things that make sense.

1. In the large markets like the US they have lost the consumer. They know that, we can argue the why and demand the heads of the "guilty" the they are where they are. So they have to go back to their roots which is enterprise. That actually makes sense, when you are in trouble and resources are scarce, focus on your strength. Unfortunately this will mean downsizing their workforce that was scaled up to deal with consumers in many markets. So they have to start the long road back via enterprise and we see where that goes. My only concern with this is BYOD policy, not sure they can get the enterprise customer, other than Gov. to "make" the employee use a BB, but I can be wrong. I would be interested in comments by people more experienced in this vertical.

2. Keep focus on consumer in markets where BB is still popular. The app "gap" is not a relevant in less developed markets. Q5 is actually starting to get some traction. So places like Latam, Malaysia etc. will still have consumer products. Whether we like it or not for now they have to run with 9720 BB7 SW because it is what they have as well, so that will be a price offering. Z10 to be re-positioned more mid market. And eventually Z30, at least for my markets in November. I have been playing with one a little this weekend but not enough to comment intelligently. Its not bad...

While there are challenges, to me the strategy at least hangs together. Can they execute it, is going to be the question.
    09-29-13 07:29 AM
    Honestly I don't believe they ever had the US consumer to lose. Most of the BB bread and butter has been overseas.
    09-29-13 08:30 AM
    After chewing on the last two weeks news, and talking to my Blackberry rep, there are some things that make sense.

1. In the large markets like the US they have lost the consumer. They know that, we can argue the why and demand the heads of the "guilty" the they are where they are. So they have to go back to their roots which is enterprise. That actually makes sense, when you are in trouble and resources are scarce, focus on your strength. Unfortunately this will mean downsizing their workforce that was scaled up to deal with consumers in many markets. So they have to start the long road back via enterprise and we see where that goes. My only concern with this is BYOD policy, not sure they can get the enterprise customer, other than Gov. to "make" the employee use a BB, but I can be wrong. I would be interested in comments by people more experienced in this vertical.

2. Keep focus on consumer in markets where BB is still popular. The app "gap" is not a relevant in less developed markets. Q5 is actually starting to get some traction. So places like Latam, Malaysia etc. will still have consumer products. Whether we like it or not for now they have to run with 9720 BB7 SW because it is what they have as well, so that will be a price offering. Z10 to be re-positioned more mid market. And eventually Z30, at least for my markets in November. I have been playing with one a little this weekend but not enough to comment intelligently. Its not bad...

While there are challenges, to me the strategy at least hangs together. Can they execute it, is going to be the question.
    Q5 gaining traction? Subscribed to this thread. Will not be afraid to call out once next sales report is in.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-29-13 08:33 AM
    They launched the Z30 in Malaysia yesterday & it was a huge success. There were long queues to get the product.

Most people are saying that the Z30 is the best phone offered today. Let's just see what happens over the next few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 04:36 AM

This is why this falls down - the most recently quarterly sales indicate that BB isn't very popular *in any market* - either that or it's highly popular in one single market or a couple (relative to their dismal sales) and sells no units anywhere else in the world.
    10-06-13 04:45 AM

On point 1. A corporation can legally decide what devices can connect to their network. So it us up to the business to say for work we use this. The flip side is if it is to limit to certain devices then it must provide those devices for work purpose. That is why I think BYOD Became popular. Less overhead. I.E. "Oh you have an iPhone? Well our it can hook that to our network for you to use at work "

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:14 AM
    Has everyone forgotten the reasons why BlackBerry 10 was made in the first place? People want consumer like devices for business phones. They are attempting to repeat a failed strategy...

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:24 AM
    They launched the Z30 in Malaysia yesterday & it was a huge success. There were long queues to get the product.

Most people are saying that the Z30 is the best phone offered today. Let's just see what happens over the next few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    Very disingenuous comment when you examine the facts a little more closely:

"Celcom celebrating the arrival of the new BlackBerry Z30 with an exciting Celcom First offer, first 200 customers only.
    Not only will you be one of the first to experience its superb multimedia on the fastest network, you’ll have the chance to own it at an unbelievable price of only RM738($231 USD)(RRP: RM1,998) with a range of amazing free gifts to enjoy."

Not to mention a free Z10, headset and Alicia Keys concert tickets.
    10-06-13 06:23 AM