Personally, I don't see myself wanting to move to webOS, there just aren't any devices yet that I desire. The Pre is ok, and the Pixi seems too underpowered, though I am a fan of the card interface and the notification bar. Same with BlackBerry, I'm just not feeling it. My parents have the 8900, and I think it's a great phone, but I'm only really interested in touchscreen phones anymore. The Storm 2 seems to have improved on the original quite a bit, but I just don't see the OS as a great environment. I do think that the messaging capabilities of BlackBerries are still unmatched, but a java-based OS just seems really outdated at this point, and a crappy browser just isn't acceptable in my book
    12-29-09 12:39 PM
    I love the Blackberry hardware. The devices get the job done. That is paramount to anything else.
    Now, having only seen the Pre once, I do like the way it visually multitasks.

I am in agreement with many other posters here, the Storm2 with both touchscreen and full keyboard would be awesome.
    12-29-09 01:27 PM
    1. Gain: notification light. Seriously, I thought Palm was a business device company. Lose: Cards. Those things are awesome.

2. I am not a Storm fan.

3. How easy it is to quit apps. Bb key, scroll down to close is annoying.

4. OS fragmentation is nothing new for BB. It's annoying but not critical

5. Yes...among some other things

6. The Pre vertical slider is my favorite form factor. But those keys...seriously?...
    12-29-09 01:46 PM
    Dieter, you blew my mind! "A BlackBerry with both a physical keyboard and a touchscreen" Hmmmm. I was thinking that they needed to do a higher resolution Storm. Ok, I could go for a Blackberry in a Pre form but it would have to be physically bigger even if the screen was the same resolution.
    12-29-09 04:45 PM
    1. Push. BBM.

2. It needs to look different than the regular BB's. The theme does not look so good on the touch screen.

3. The Menu dock thing can be pulled up at any time, with a nifty wavy response.

4. A little. I'm sure once Palm unleashes hardware acceleration and more APIs it will just be a matter of adapting GUI interfaces.

5. Opera Mini and third-party e-mail clients don't rely on RIM, right?

6. A little.
    12-29-09 06:03 PM
    Hi y'all!

This is a good week for the Smartphone Round Robin, as it's the magical week when there's synergy in which sites have which phones. To wit: I have BlackBerry this week and Kevin has webOS.

So here's what's on my mind:

1. The basics: what would a webOS user gain by going BB? What would a webOS user lose?
    Clearly you lose lots of apps, the support of a very large and capable company behind the phones. You lose the ability to switch phone formats and carriers while remaining on the same platform.

2. The biggest surprise for me this year is how much I like the Storm2 (and how well I can type on it!). I still think that the touch features on it feel a little tacked-on, though. Given that it doesn't look like RIM is going to be doing a massive restart of the OS, what touch features would you like to see?
    It looks like much of what developers needed has been addressed as many more apps have shown up of late that resemble the iPhone "model of useful, but we can't sell them for large amount of money while still needing you to use them." I'm speaking about apps like Fandango for example. I'm happy with where RIMM is at and look forward to their future innovations on the platform. I'm not a big fan of widgets because if I have to interact with screen to use them, it is just as easy to quickly press and open an app.

3. Anything about webOS that makes you jealous?
    It is prettier but pretty doesn't get the work done.

4. I know it's not a new problem, but with the introduction of OpenGL it seems like the issue of platform fragmentation is going to get worse. Or am I crazy? Does it bother you?
    I'm not worried about platform fragmentation. RIMM loves to shovel phones out there (10 million+ last quarter) and their money will be made betting on the future. Someone who is using a 2-3 year old phone isn't going to be looking for a new game app to buy whether it is OpenGL or not. They are looking to be left behind and there isn't money to be made on them. So you target your development for the more recent and enjoy the results. All the phone numbers are so large compared to other devices that even small successes are measured in huge ways. I mean at the current pace RIMM will probably push almost 40 million phones out there next year. If that isn't a large enough pool for someone to make money on then they are in the wrong business.

5. Do any of the recent outages have you thinking about a different platform that doesn't have that single point of failure?
    The single point of access also holds down the data requirements that have made the daily use of the iPhone intolerable. I'd rather worry about a failure like this a couple times a year rather than worry about AT&T failing me every day of the year.

6. Do you have any desire to get a BlackBerry with both a physical keyboard and a touchscreen?
    No, the current Storms are great to type on in my book. They can keep getting refined, especially improving battery life, weight and thinness.
    12-29-09 06:44 PM
    entering again
    12-29-09 06:52 PM
    Hi y'all!

This is a good week for the Smartphone Round Robin, as it's the magical week when there's synergy in which sites have which phones. To wit: I have BlackBerry this week and Kevin has webOS.

1. The basics: what would a webOS user gain by going BB? What would a webOS user lose?

2. The biggest surprise for me this year is how much I like the Storm2 (and how well I can type on it!). I still think that the touch features on it feel a little tacked-on, though. Given that it doesn't look like RIM is going to be doing a massive restart of the OS, what touch features would you like to see?

4. I know it's not a new problem, but with the introduction of OpenGL it seems like the issue of platform fragmentation is going to get worse. Or am I crazy? Does it bother you?

5. Do any of the recent outages have you thinking about a different platform that doesn't have that single point of failure?

6. Do you have any desire to get a BlackBerry with both a physical keyboard and a touchscreen?

Don't forget - every day you post here is another chance to win the BlackBerry of your choice!
    As far as the S2 goes, I think they are getting close..but not perfect yet. I found short messages were a breeze, however longer emails had many mistakes. A smoother transition fron portrait to landscape would also be welcomed..I found the lag time to be troublesome at times.

Aas far as the recent outages, apart from their being an inconvenience, I'm not jumping ship yet. Although with more new bb users coming on board, perhaps an update to the server would help matters? Just my 2 cents. )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 09:59 PM
    shameless contest entry
    12-29-09 10:20 PM
    another entry!
    12-29-09 10:48 PM
    Really want to win the Storm 2

12-30-09 09:17 AM
    Clearly you lose lots of apps, the support of a very large and capable company behind the phones. You lose the ability to switch phone formats and carriers while remaining on the same platform.

It looks like much of what developers needed has been addressed as many more apps have shown up of late that resemble the iPhone "model of useful, but we can't sell them for large amount of money while still needing you to use them." I'm speaking about apps like Fandango for example. I'm happy with where RIMM is at and look forward to their future innovations on the platform. I'm not a big fan of widgets because if I have to interact with screen to use them, it is just as easy to quickly press and open an app.

It is prettier but pretty doesn't get the work done.

I'm not worried about platform fragmentation. RIMM loves to shovel phones out there (10 million+ last quarter) and their money will be made betting on the future. Someone who is using a 2-3 year old phone isn't going to be looking for a new game app to buy whether it is OpenGL or not. They are looking to be left behind and there isn't money to be made on them. So you target your development for the more recent and enjoy the results. All the phone numbers are so large compared to other devices that even small successes are measured in huge ways. I mean at the current pace RIMM will probably push almost 40 million phones out there next year. If that isn't a large enough pool for someone to make money on then they are in the wrong business.

The single point of access also holds down the data requirements that have made the daily use of the iPhone intolerable. I'd rather worry about a failure like this a couple times a year rather than worry about AT&T failing me every day of the year.

No, the current Storms are great to type on in my book. They can keep getting refined, especially improving battery life, weight and thinness.
    Thank you for this response. It was very humble and informative. You got to the point and that's what some don't realize. Their eyes are to focused on what looks good and not what works. People need to be less shallow and think of quality. If my President uses it, it's good to go! I have a DSi I don't need my phone to play games(waste of battery) I can play Spades/Poker, I don't need my phone 'shuffling' cards. Just some personal truth to these overgrown lies...
    12-30-09 09:34 AM
    I 2nd the above post. Great insight there.
    12-30-09 10:17 AM
    shameless contest entry
    Same thing here LoL

12-30-09 10:54 AM
    another try
    12-30-09 02:28 PM
    I'd love a full-QWERTY BB with a simple capacitive touchscreen.

12-30-09 03:44 PM
    great read so far i don't know much about the palm pre as i'm a bb user for life!! never really tought about switching to another phone other than a newer bb... but it looks like the webOS not that bad of a phone... but i'll be sticking to my bold 9000..
    12-30-09 03:45 PM
    i would not be interested in a hybrid device with a keyboard and touch screen. from my experience with the pearl flip, i've found that moving parts are just more chances for hardware failure.
    12-30-09 04:23 PM
    I think a big portion of the difference between the blackberry platform and the one that palm has created is really flexibility. As others have mentioned in this thread, blackberries are available on every carrier around the world, that makes it much more flexible depending on where you are located. Another issue --which can easily be remedied in the future-- is that as of now WebOS is only available on two devices.

This is a big limitation as those who don't necessarily need a touch screen or a full keyboard are stuck with them if the choose to go the WebOS route. Blackberry offers a lot of flexibility in that sense because the user is free to choose a device with the characteristics that he or she desires.

Also, the WebOS is pretty much limited to a touch screen. Without one, it would be virtually impossible to use. The BBOS is much more flexible in that sense as well because it is comfortable using many forms of navigation which really opens up the possibility for future devices.

It really comes down to aesthetics, while the WebOS is indeed beautiful and fun to use, I think that the blackberry can accomplish tasks much more quickly as it has a simple and functional interface which is both elegant and productive.

I think a greatly over-looked aspect of the debate between these two platforms is also one-handed usability, having used the Pre, it is impossible to navigate, and input text with one hand. Smartphones are mobile devices, which means they have to at least try to accommodate the users who are constantly multitasking or running around with things in their hands. The touchpad on newer devices and trackball on the older ones works really well as far as this is concerned because you can accomplish everything from one location instead of having to move around the device. Single-hand usability is made even more possible with the suretype keyboards on the storm, and pearl devices. Something which is nigh impossible on Palms WebOS phones.

Personally, I believe that the keyboards on both the Pre and Pixi are very difficult to use and don't work well with lengthy emails or even text messages.
    12-30-09 04:48 PM
    The Blackberry 9700 has far succeeded its previous models with style and operational ability. The ease of use for the person with typing ability to those with none at all is so small of a learning curve that the Blackberry overcomes all models that I have tried. The 9700 is not a model to be compared with any other...it is a phone to be put on a pedestal all by itself.
    12-30-09 07:19 PM
    Agreed.

9000 had a bigger keyboard though.
    12-30-09 07:36 PM
    Gain: Speed
    Lose: aesthetics

The option to skip surepress and go strictly capacitive an input option

Having used it, honestly no, it feels slow,

Not particularly, the core strengths of blackberry are intact

Not really.

Before the trackpad, yes - to avoid the trouble of worn out/dirty trackballs. Now, combined with the power of shortcuts from the keyboard and a perfectly responsive trackpad, not very much at all
    12-30-09 07:41 PM
    Hi y'all!

Don't forget - every day you post here is another chance to win the BlackBerry of your choice!
    absolutely I would love to get a blackberry with a keyboard and touch screen
    12-30-09 08:22 PM
    I think a greatly over-looked aspect of the debate between these two platforms is also one-handed usability, having used the Pre, it is impossible to navigate, and input text with one hand. Smartphones are mobile devices, which means they have to at least try to accommodate the users who are constantly multitasking or running around with things in their hands. The touchpad on newer devices and trackball on the older ones works really well as far as this is concerned because you can accomplish everything from one location instead of having to move around the device. Single-hand usability is made even more possible with the suretype keyboards on the storm, and pearl devices. Something which is nigh impossible on Palms WebOS phones.
    I might contribute to Dieter's questions later, but I have to emphasize your point there ilyak, because it's so true.

I remember getting the chance to visit LA for the first time and because of all the things I had wanted to see and do in such a short span of time, I was constantly fighting with my iPhone.

Small things, but things that really began to irk me. All the constant swiping motions and because the soft buttons could be in so many places on your screen, it made walking+using the phone such a pain (and gosh forbid if you had anything in your hand!). I could not imagine this for mobile professionals that really need quick and simple access to their phone and PIM apps.

Granted, the iPhone is not the Pre (I like the forward/backward swipe motions you can do with the Pre), and in my limited experience with the Pre, I had really liked what I saw, but the point is, the one-handedness aspect of the Blackberry is often overlooked.

It's something you can easily gloss over when people in their reviews/previews/hand-on impressions are obsessing over all the newer specs, features and all that, but if becomes absolutely everything in actual use. I can't speak to the Pre in much detail, but if you say ilyak that it is difficult to use one-handed, then that is something I'd love to see improvement on.

Last edited by Aspyred; 12-30-09 at 09:03 PM.
    12-30-09 08:57 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn

We are at the bottom of the solar cycle and heading soon to the upswing. It will be interesting to see the effects on wireless devices when we peak.

Touch screen on the Storm2 is great.
    12-30-09 09:09 PM
253 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD