When it comes to the processors used in Blackberry's, Marvell is a clear favorite and their processors are used in 80% of the blackberries. But going forward it seem like RIM had decided to ditch Marvell in favor of TI(playbook) and Qualcom(all 2011 devices). Do you think it is a wise decision? hit the breaks to read the following scoop.

Rumour: Playbook maker RIM ditches Marvell for TI - Dumped on prom night | TechEye
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 03-07-11 at 07:14 PM. Reason: BlackBerry's
    03-07-11 05:15 PM
    well it could have depend on which one offered performance and price? Im sure if marvell offered something even better it may have worked out. Both used the same type of architecture right and maybe TI just had a product ready for them to use that suited what they were aiming for?

if so maybe TI offered better support and hey there's nothing wrong with TI.

One thing's for sure, it's not like RIM had only started the software in september :P
    03-07-11 05:38 PM
    Hopefully.
    03-07-11 05:52 PM
    Marvells Earnings where down 10% last quarter, it is largely speculated that it is due to RIM's lower demands on their processors, and RIM's focus on the lower cost model phones for overseas markets.

Marvell did not predict further declines in their value for this quarter that would reflect losing RIM as a customer. so I would say that RIM is still planning on using Marvell for their phones for the near future at least.
    03-07-11 05:53 PM
    Marvells Earnings where down 10% last quarter, it is largely speculated that it is due to RIM's lower demands on their processors, and RIM's focus on the lower cost model phones for overseas markets.

Marvell did not predict further declines in their value for this quarter that would reflect losing RIM as a customer. so I would say that RIM is still planning on using Marvell for their phones for the near future at least.
    I debunk Marvell's claims about RIM being the reason for it's slowdown. RIM uses the same set of processors in all it's phones where high end or low end except for the CDMA part where they use Qualcom procs. RIM respected the pact all along but lately Marvel sort of became a bottleneck to them as they are not delivering what other vendors are like a good GPU, 3g/4g on a SoC or a matter of a fact a widely acknowledged processor. RIM bear the burnt last year with sup-par specs on the Torch and may be they thought enough is enough and decided to go with new vendors this time. I hope this is a welcome sign for all of us.
    03-07-11 06:08 PM
    I debunk Marvell's claims about RIM being the reason for it's slowdown. RIM uses the same set of processors in all it's phones where high end or low end except for the CDMA part where they use Qualcom procs. RIM respected the pact all along but lately Marvel sort of became a bottleneck to them as they are not delivering what other vendors are like a good GPU, 3g/4g on a SoC or a matter of a fact a widely acknowledged processor. RIM bear the burnt last year with sup-par specs on the Torch and may be they thought enough is enough and decided to go with new vendors this time. I hope this is a welcome sign for all of us.
    You my friend are the one with the Myth,
    RIM does NOT use the same processors for all of it's phones, the Torch HAS a different processor than the Curve / Bold line.
    The Torch is Running the Marvell PXA940
    Where as the Bold/Curve lines run the older, and there for cheaper PXA930

Had RIM tried pushing the PX940 into more phones, like the 9780 and the 9300 Marvell could have seen theoretically 10% greater profits, if not MORE because RIM did grow in 2010,

That said Marvell never directly fingered RIM, though that is the industry speculation.
    03-07-11 06:41 PM
    They should just use Qualcomm across the entire line of these new phones. All the new Qualcomm SoCs support both CDMA and GSM/HSPA+. Makes no sense to split the products with GSM using Marvell and CDMA using Qualcomm when you can have Qualcomm handle it all and buy in larger quantity at probably a reduced price, not to mention reduce the amount of hardware you have to support in your OS. The CDMA phones had GPU's for how long compared to GSM? I think that Marvell's poor offerings were holding RIM back, and apparently RIM abandoned a Marvell processor in the Playbook for the TI because of Marvell's inability to get the software and hardware working together.
    03-07-11 07:05 PM
    Last I checked, the New Curve is using an overclocked Marvell PXA940, while all the high end upcoming devices are using Qualcomm (possibly Snapdragons except for the Curve Touch)?
    I think RIM intends to use 800mhz Marvells in their low end but is focusing on Qualcomm for the hight end (and obviously CDMA), leading to Marvell reporting that RIM is only buying their low-end CPUs?

Looking at the details, it seems like the Keyboard Curve is the ONLY upcoming device that uses Marvell. All the others potentially use Snapdragons, even the Curve touch (Albiet a slower version).
    Last edited by grahamf; 03-07-11 at 07:12 PM.
    03-07-11 07:08 PM
    Last I checked, the New Curve is using an overclocked Marvell PXA940, while all the high end upcoming devices are using Qualcomm (possibly Snapdragons except for the Curve Touch)?
    I think RIM intends to use 800mhz Marvells in their low end but is focusing on Qualcomm for the hight end (and obviously CDMA), leading to Marvell reporting that RIM is only buying their low-end CPUs?

Looking at the details, it seems like the Keyboard Curve is the ONLY upcoming device that uses Marvell. All the others potentially use Snapdragons, even the Curve touch (Albiet a slower version).
    I haven't seen any leaks that actually indicate the processors in the upcoming device line up,
    Just speculation based on speeds.
    03-07-11 07:14 PM
    Exactly what I was saying, you and I have same opinion but expressed differently, RIM uses this same set of marvell processors(PXA930/PXA940 ) in most of their phones, IMO Marvell PXA940 and Marvell PXA930 IMO are low end processors in the current age and even in 2010, they have no dedicated GPU or processing power like other vendors for example: last years snapdragon, apple A4, samsung's humingbird etc. Blackberry torch was limited for the most part because of the Marvell processor as it doesn't have dedicated GPU to support high res screens or graphics. Their claims only make sense if RIM is not using their armada line of processors which in a way are considered high end and they were supposed to be in Playbook but got dropped to some inconsistencies. It is a good sign that RIM is looking at other vendors
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-07-11 at 07:26 PM.
    03-07-11 07:20 PM
    They should just use Qualcomm across the entire line of these new phones. All the new Qualcomm SoCs support both CDMA and GSM/HSPA+. Makes no sense to split the products with GSM using Marvell and CDMA using Qualcomm when you can have Qualcomm handle it all and buy in larger quantity at probably a reduced price, not to mention reduce the amount of hardware you have to support in your OS. The CDMA phones had GPU's for how long compared to GSM? I think that Marvell's poor offerings were holding RIM back, and apparently RIM abandoned a Marvell processor in the Playbook for the TI because of Marvell's inability to get the software and hardware working together.
    well said, RIM is adapting Qualcom processors in 2011 line of phones, even Apple seem thinking the same as one phone supports both CDMA and GSM.
    03-07-11 07:23 PM
    Isn't Qualcomm going to be, for the most part, the exclusive LTE chipset manufacturer?
    03-07-11 08:12 PM
    I haven't seen any leaks that actually indicate the processors in the upcoming device line up,
    Just speculation based on speeds.
    the UAProf documents of the upcoming devices all say Qualcomm.

if you read them yourself they say Qualcomm in the cpu section.
    03-07-11 09:05 PM
    the UAProf documents of the upcoming devices all say Qualcomm.

if you read them yourself they say Qualcomm in the cpu section.
    Then were did you see Marvell in the New Curve?
    03-07-11 10:10 PM
    Exactly what I was saying, you and I have same opinion but expressed differently, RIM uses this same set of marvell processors(PXA930/PXA940 ) in most of their phones, IMO Marvell PXA940 and Marvell PXA930 IMO are low end processors in the current age and even in 2010, they have no dedicated GPU or processing power like other vendors for example: last years snapdragon, apple A4, samsung's humingbird etc. Blackberry torch was limited for the most part because of the Marvell processor as it doesn't have dedicated GPU to support high res screens or graphics. Their claims only make sense if RIM is not using their armada line of processors which in a way are considered high end and they were supposed to be in Playbook but got dropped to some inconsistencies. It is a good sign that RIM is looking at other vendors
    How was that what you were saying?

you were "debunking" a "myth" about the use of Marvell Processors in existing Blackberry's and Marvell blaming rim for using the lower end processors claiming they were all the same.

When clearly every BB except the Torch used the PXA930 which is a 2008 Processor, vs the Torch using a PXA940 which is a 2010 processor,
    Has RIM moved their 9780 and 9300 from the PXA930 to the PXA940 it is safe to assume Marvells earnings would not have been as low.

AND RIM could/should have allowed the PXA940 to run 800mhz to 1000mhz
    as it was more intended to do.
    03-07-11 10:18 PM
    How was that what you were saying?

you were "debunking" a "myth" about the use of Marvell Processors in existing Blackberry's and Marvell blaming rim for using the lower end processors claiming they were all the same.

When clearly every BB except the Torch used the PXA930 which is a 2008 Processor, vs the Torch using a PXA940 which is a 2010 processor,
    Has RIM moved their 9780 and 9300 from the PXA930 to the PXA940 it is safe to assume Marvells earnings would not have been as low.

AND RIM could/should have allowed the PXA940 to run 800mhz to 1000mhz
    as it was more intended to do.
    I am just refuting Marvell's claims about RIM and it is a good business decision on RIM's part on what they want. IMO PXA930 and PXA940 are low end processors. What does PXA940 bring extra to the table and does it deserve extra cost? PXA940 is a glorified PXA930 with ARM A8 instruction set support and 45nm process but still lacks in many areas like no GPU, doesn't support OpelGL, no HD video recording which are the main consumer facing attributes. PXA930 is doing extremely good in Bold and Curve series and why would RIM want to upgrade to PXA940 for an extra cost with no feature upgrades in it. Unless it has a good GPU even a 2Ghz process can't give you a smooth performance and also it can't support a high resolution screen. Processor Mhz(clock speed) alone doesn't mean anything and there are various factors that influence the decision on clocking the CPU.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-07-11 at 11:09 PM.
    03-07-11 11:07 PM
    Marvell should stop whining and stop manufacturing crap. Especially with the reports leaking out that the Playbook business was there's to lose and they lost it cause they couldn't make everything work together but TI could. The only thing I've seen of Marvell being used in any of the new devices is the Tavor M1 in the GSM Curve Apollo. Again I don't get why they would do this when the chip in the CDMA Curve Sedona is more than capable of supporting GSM, and the MSM8255 is probably a much more complete solution.
    03-08-11 07:05 AM
    Then were did you see Marvell in the New Curve?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f237/bl...-specs-575709/

Also: the Curve non-touch does not have a USAProf IIRC.
    03-08-11 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD