I had a Bold, and I was on 6.0.0.222 and I got fed up with the problems it had, and returned it and got the Fascinate instead. I LOVE the Fascinate, except for the short battery life and the lack of a real keyboard. I'm tempted to go back to BlackBerry, but it feels so old compared to a Droid. Why can't BlackBerry just step up their game?

Things I miss:
    1. The push notifications
    2. Email
    3. Texting on a real keyboard.
    4. Battery life

What should I do?
    10-12-10 12:09 PM
    2. Email
    BlackBerry core strengths.

Email with the urgency of a pager. If your income depends on staying connected, BlackBerry is the superior choice.
    10-12-10 12:11 PM
    BlackBerry core strengths.

Email with the urgency of a pager. If your income depends on staying connected, BlackBerry is the superior choice.
    My income doesn't depend on staying connected as I'm a student, but it's just annoying having to actually open my email to see if I have any new emails (any service besides for Gmail) - and the notifications are killing me, I get Facebook notifications hours later.
    10-12-10 12:17 PM
    Battery life is a biggie too. It's one of the main reasons I haven't considered an Android, as well as what Reed said.

What I would do.. Make a list of the pros of both devices, for you, and see which one "wins".
    10-12-10 12:19 PM
    Battery life is a biggie too. It's one of the main reasons I haven't considered an Android, as well as what Reed said.

What I would do.. Make a list of the pros of both devices, for you, and see which one "wins".
    The battery life is pretty bad, I unplugged it at 7 A.M and sent MAYBE 100 texts, and by 5 P.M it was dead. If I DO decide to go back to the BlackBerry, what would I do - sell the Fascinate (on Ebay or something) and buy a BlackBerry? Because I thought I read you can only return/exchange phones to Verizon one time..
    10-12-10 12:25 PM
    Battery life issues seem to be dependent on the device. I have heard some of the HTC are bad, but I heard my Vibrant would be awful and I make it from 9 am to midnight with 30-40% power remaining. I am more than happy with the battery - and that's with WiFi, live wallpaper, Facebook sync, email sync, gmail push...me thinks you have some settings that need to be tweaked.
    10-12-10 12:26 PM
    Battery life issues seem to be dependent on the device. I have heard some of the HTC are bad, but I heard my Vibrant would be awful and I make it from 9 am to midnight with 30-40% power remaining. I am more than happy with the battery - and that's with WiFi, live wallpaper, Facebook sync, email sync, gmail push...
    Wow, that's great. I barely touch my phone and I can almost see the battery draining.
    10-12-10 12:27 PM
    Too bad you didn't try 6.0.0.280, you just might have kept your Bold.
    10-12-10 12:29 PM
    2. Email
    Only if you have gmail. Everything else is delayed at least 5 minutes. And push notifications from the Facebook app are still a fail.
    10-12-10 12:30 PM
    Too bad you didn't try 6.0.0.280, you just might have kept your Bold.
    Is it good? Don't say that. I want it back, what's my best course of action?
    10-12-10 12:32 PM
    Is it good? Don't say that. I want it back, what's my best course of action?
    I had minor issues with 222, 280 fixed them and it's much snappier. Are you only allowed one exchange within 30 days?
    10-12-10 12:36 PM
    I have the bold 9650 and i haven't upgraded to leaked os6 and i just got the htc desire Saturday and im returning it today.
    10-12-10 12:36 PM
    I have the bold 9650 and i haent upgraded to leaked os6 and i just got the htc desire Saturday and im returning it today.
    Lucky.

I had minor issues with 222, 280 fixed them and it's much snappier. Are you only allowed one exchange within 30 days?
    I thought that's what I read somewhere..
    10-12-10 12:38 PM
    The battery life is pretty bad, I unplugged it at 7 A.M and sent MAYBE 100 texts, and by 5 P.M it was dead. If I DO decide to go back to the BlackBerry, what would I do - sell the Fascinate (on Ebay or something) and buy a BlackBerry? Because I thought I read you can only return/exchange phones to Verizon one time..
    I believe as long you're within 30 days of getting the Fascinate, you shouldn't have a problem returning it if you are unsatisfied. Not being a VZW customer, I'm not positive of this. Never hurts to try. Carriers tend to be lenient on certain rules to keep customers happy.
    10-12-10 12:38 PM
    I signed another contract so i could test the htc desire before giving up my blackberry.I have 30 days to return and cancel contract.So im returning it today and still have my blackberry.The htc desire is nice but as lolreconlol stated those cons were my reasons for returning the htc desire.
    10-12-10 12:47 PM
    I was previously a Verizon customer and am now with Sprint, so I don't know if you're only allowed to switch once. I know with Sprint I switched twice and had to pay a restocking fee of $35 each time. I'd call Verizon to check on this before completely losing hope. In the meantime, I'd try adjusting some of the settings on the Fascinate to see if you can extend the battery life.

Good luck!
    10-12-10 12:53 PM
    I had a Bold, and I was on 6.0.0.222 and I got fed up with the problems it had, and returned it and got the Fascinate instead. I LOVE the Fascinate, except for the short battery life and the lack of a real keyboard. I'm tempted to go back to BlackBerry, but it feels so old compared to a Droid. Why can't BlackBerry just step up their game?

Things I miss:
    2. Email
    3. Texting on a real keyboard.
    4. Battery life

What should I do?
    My income doesn't depend on staying connected as I'm a student, but it's just annoying having to actually open my email to see if I have any new emails (any service besides for Gmail) - and the notifications are killing me, I get Facebook notifications hours later.
    Hi,

My first post here...

I don't know about the Fascinate but I do use an Android phone, among others and you should be able to configure your notifications. Don't you get a message envelope in the notifications bar, flashing lights, etc when you get a new message?

Also check the widgets that come with the phone. There may be an email widget that will display your unread email.

If email the programs that come with the phone don't do what you want, then log onto the Android Market and download K9. Hopefully that will work on your device.

If you need a fully featured Exchange client and the phone doesn't come with one then there are several to choose from.

As for the lack of push notifications, that is one of the things that annoys me the most about Android. For Facebook there are programs out there that can do push notifications, one such program is called Facebook Newsfeed and I believe that this can be set to poll for notifications every 10 minutes.

There is another program called Blue Notify that is meant to be very good and just does notifications and will cost you $1.

For Typing, I don't know if you have Swype on the device or not. If you do, use it. Run the tutorial then go to the website and watch the videos. It's very good. If you don't have it you can find it in various places such as XDA-Developers.

For battery life, I can only suggest things that you have probably done already: turn off GPS, etc, check and see if the screen is set to auto-dim and reduce the default screen brightness.

I too wish that Blackberry would step up their game.
    10-12-10 02:44 PM
    You should be able to return it within 30 days but will likely be subject to a $35 restocking fee if you did an early upgrade to get it.
    10-12-10 03:10 PM
    IMO if you have to shut down some programs to extend battery life, what is the point in having a phone? Silly to me.

I like some of these new Andriod devices as well, but I am not gonna strap myself to a wall outlet or be in my car all day. And the extended batteries don't do a good enough job IMO.

But it is the nature of the beast of the nice screen, which is big and the processor...it all adds up to eating the battery life.

So weigh your options and like others said, see which one has more.

I still love my 9700!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-10 03:24 PM
    No.

10-12-10 05:38 PM
    BB is stepping up the game imo. In 07 you had the 8300 since you have the Bolds the Storms and now Torch. There's neen 4 os's in that time. If yoy don't like what's on the table wait a minute you will.

10-12-10 07:16 PM
    BB is stepping up the game imo. In 07 you had the 8300 since you have the Bolds the Storms and now Torch. There's neen 4 os's in that time. If yoy don't like what's on the table wait a minute you will.

Except the current Bolds are still using the same basic hardware as the original, as are the other devices in their respective series. The Torch is the firsst BB to change the hardware/bump up the specs for what, 2+ years?
    10-12-10 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD