I know some cities use 311 for city based services (Chicago does anyway). I was able to dial 311 from my AT&T and I think my Verizon phones, but when I try to dial 311 from my Tmobile 8900 I get "The number you have dialed is not in service..." Sometimes it is necessary to dial 311 and I would like to know if anyone knows how to enable this number. Thanks in advance!
    03-03-09 11:53 PM
    Well you wouldn't really enable the number since its on the carrier side that makes the connection between 311 and the non emergency services. You'd probably want to call a T-Mobile Rep in the Chicago area or stop into a store and see if they know. You have to remember that you are on a phone that changes location so when you dial any of the N11 numbers the carrier needs to determine your location and send you to the appropriate agency for that area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 07:43 AM
    Try 411 I know that works on my phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 07:49 AM
    what does 311 do? Sorry if this is a dumb question, we dont have that in MI.
    03-04-09 09:33 AM
    411 and 311 are completely different. We use 311 here in NYC as well, it's fairly recent. It's used to connect to city agencies to get info or request services. I used it the other night when there were some traffic lights out in a really busy intersection near my place. It's supposed to cut down traffic to 911 as well for non-emergency calls...

like someone said previously, call T-mo or walk into a store - there should be no reason why you can't dial it on T-mo...
    03-04-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD