This is not the plan from what I heard. They are going to round up all the most important apks and have each company send them in. BlackBerry will convert it for them. And place them in BlackBerry World.
    I'm not sure why you think this latest attempt to get Android App developers to submit their Apps to BB will work when it should be clear by now that they have little interest in doing so. I'll briefly mention BB's lack of power in this relationship making it unlikely that BB can "have each company send them in".

It's not like repackaging their App inside a bar file was presenting an insurmountable difficulty to Devs before, or that it was the main obstacle preventing a flood of Android Apps reaching BBW. So now that BB will do that conversion, do you honestly expect a flood of Android Devs to submit their Apps to BB?
    01-15-14 02:25 PM
    Finished 30 levels of candy crush.. now I am stuck because to go futher it has to communicate with the play store.. and of course that doesn't work. I honestly wonder if people will end up being more annoyed by all the android apps that don't work vs. happy about the ones that do.
    And this ^^^ is one of the reasons I reckon few Android Devs will want to bother with BB. People are more likely to blame the App maker IMO, than dig a little deeper and point the finger at BB for not coming to an business-like understanding with Google over access.

Similarly, any Android App that doesn't work properly under BB's android runtime is quite likely to receive bad reviews... when it may work perfectly on "real" Android devices and any "fix" is impossible for the Devs as it's actually BB's runtime that is to blame.
    01-15-14 02:34 PM
    And this ^^^ is one of the reasons I reckon few Android Devs will want to bother with BB. People are more likely to blame the App maker IMO, than dig a little deeper and point the finger at BB for not coming to an business-like understanding with Google over access.

Similarly, any Android App that doesn't work properly under BB's android runtime is quite likely to receive bad reviews... when it may work perfectly on "real" Android devices and any "fix" is impossible for the Devs as it's actually BB's runtime that is to blame.
    I think the problem here is one kind of a problem with easy solution. As a dev, publish on BBWorld, than just take 5 minutes and update the app changing the connection from google play to BBWorld. And that's it. It will also help transaction-donation I believe. So if I WANT to port my app to BlackBerry users that's the only thing to do.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 03:09 PM
    I think the problem here is one kind of a problem with easy solution. As a dev, publish on BBWorld, than just take 5 minutes and update the app changing the connection from google play to BBWorld. And that's it. It will also help transaction-donation I believe. So if I WANT to port my app to BlackBerry users that's the only thing to do.
    Yes, that might work. However, it does involve the Dev changing some aspect of their App (to point to BBW rather than the Play Store), and you have to ask why would a Dev feel inclined to even do that little. The ROI from BB users must be lost in the noise compared with what they would get from an Android store so I'm not sure, if I were that Dev, that I'd even bother taking the 5 minutes.

If I wasn't confident that my Android App would work perfectly, without any modification whatsoever, on BB devices... I wouldn't take the risk of bad reviews. And I doubt the ROI of even small changes, with the consequent costs of maintaining multiple versions of my App on the different stores, would be worthwhile.

Still, I'm happy to be proved wrong by sight of thousands of (worth having) Android Apps arriving in BBW "soon".
    01-15-14 03:23 PM
    People are more likely to blame the App maker IMO, than dig a little deeper and point the finger at BB for not coming to an business-like understanding with Google over access.
    It depends on Google's terms for getting this access. Most Android phone makers need to be running an almost 100% Android OS to get the access. BB10 runs the Android virtual machine inside of BB10, and this may violate Google's requirements.

For example, Google won't give Amazon access to its services because Amazon uses a modified version of Android.

So clearly, BlackBerry cannot come to a business-like agreement with Google if Google requires BlackBerry to throw out BB10 before it will give BlackBerry access.

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    01-16-14 08:04 AM
    It depends on Google's terms for getting this access. Most Android phone makers need to be running an almost 100% Android OS to get the access. BB10 runs the Android virtual machine inside of BB10, and this may violate Google's requirements.

For example, Google won't give Amazon access to its services because Amazon uses a modified version of Android.

So clearly, BlackBerry cannot come to a business-like agreement with Google if Google requires BlackBerry to throw out BB10 before it will give BlackBerry access.
    I actually agree with you. Despite the "Better Android Than Android" nonsense, and several upbeat threads on this I've seen on CB regarding BB gaining access, I reckon BB's chances of getting full access to the Play Store are slightly less than my chances of winning the lottery, twice, on successive weeks.

My main point was that, when a Android App doesn't work or requires in-app purchases, it's more likely that the App developer will get the blame rather than BB's faux-Android implementation.
    01-16-14 12:14 PM
    Devs Confirm BlackBerry World Soon Accepting Android Apps-img_20140116_131605.png

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:16 PM
    Finished 30 levels of candy crush.. now I am stuck because to go futher it has to communicate with the play store.. and of course that doesn't work. I honestly wonder if people will end up being more annoyed by all the android apps that don't work vs. happy about the ones that do.
    I don't understand why it has to communicate with the play store, on .1055 i was in the 90ish level in candy crush, before i updated to .1925 and lost all my candy crush data...

and for those that say that BB10 hasn't 100% compatibility and therefore can't get access to GP with Google approval, well there's a lot of android devices that can't have access to all the apps, for example my galaxy tab 3 hasn't access to all the apps, and you'd guess that since it's made by samsung it have access to most of them, but it doesn't (my z10 runs android apps that my tab 3 can't, maybe it's because it's a tablet but still, other "low end" tablets have access to apps that i can't have working on my tab 3...).

And BTW, most of the apps that don't work on my z10 is because i don't have Google play services, so if google grants gps to bb10, it would be compatible with most of the apps...i don't think google is looking for 100% compatibility, because that's impossible....but hey, maybe i'm wrong
    01-20-14 04:16 AM
    If BlackBerry no get us native apps and use just android apps well BlackBerry is dead and lost the market competition...in this case why would we have BlackBerry..we go to android directly At least app wud works much better...my openion..
    If that happens i wud Feel so sad coz actually i dont like android..

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 02:54 PM
    If BlackBerry no get us native apps and use just android apps well BlackBerry is dead and lost the market competition...in this case why would we have BlackBerry..we go to android directly At least app wud works much better...my openion..
    If that happens i wud Feel so sad coz actually i dont like android..

Posted via CB10
    Because BB10 is different from Ios and android?
    I'm never, and i mean never would switch devices for apps! I love BB for the multi-tasking, gesture, hub, and all the other things that i LOVE about my z10 that i can't do as efficiently on my iphone or android tablet.
    And i'm not someone who has 2-3 apps, apps ARE important to me, heck my phone is full of them natives and sideloads. But a phone is more then only apps, it's a communication devices and there's no other phone that is better at communication (that's my opinion, if you don't agree well just sell your device and get something else!)
    01-24-14 02:23 AM
    Because BB10 is different from Ios and android?
    I'm never, and i mean never would switch devices for apps! I love BB for the multi-tasking, gesture, hub, and all the other things that i LOVE about my z10 that i can't do as efficiently on my iphone or android tablet.
    And i'm not someone who has 2-3 apps, apps ARE important to me, heck my phone is full of them natives and sideloads. But a phone is more then only apps, it's a communication devices and there's no other phone that is better at communication (that's my opinion, if you don't agree well just sell your device and get something else!)
    No need to sell it actually first coz i dont want to..but if someday sooner or later i switch to another and i guess it will happen as long as BlackBerry keeeps going with android apps..i switch to iphone....

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 09:30 AM
    No need to sell it actually first coz i dont want to..but if someday sooner or later i switch to another and i guess it will happen as long as BlackBerry keeeps going with android apps..i switch to iphone....

Posted via CB10
    Huh? What? I don't know if it's because I had some drinks, but I really didn't get what you just said?!?$ but from what I understood if blackberry has more android apps you'll switch to Ios?

And that makes sense because?!

if you don't want those android apps just don't download them? Plus most of the apps that you'll get on ios are apps that are also on android, I just don't understand what you're saying.

So basically you'd get an iPhone because blackberry can run android apps? Once again, maybe it's because I'm tipsy but that really didn't make sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    sickyute likes this.
    01-26-14 04:29 AM
    Huh? What? I don't know if it's because I had some drinks, but I really didn't get what you just said?!?$ but from what I understood if blackberry has more android apps you'll switch to Ios?

And that makes sense because?!

if you don't want those android apps just don't download them? Plus most of the apps that you'll get on ios are apps that are also on android, I just don't understand what you're saying.

So basically you'd get an iPhone because blackberry can run android apps? Once again, maybe it's because I'm tipsy but that really didn't make sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    Because who would want to run some half baked Android apps when you can get the full featured apps on iOS? Just a thought. If someone has no real 'loyalty' to any platform, then changing is easy, especially if the app situation is arguably better. Factor in the the fact that even some Android apps run like crap on Android compared to their iOS counterparts and it's quite a logical choice from an informed users perspective.
    amjass12 and JeepBB like this.
    01-26-14 05:02 AM
    Because who would want to run some half baked Android apps when you can get the full featured apps on iOS? Just a thought. If someone has no real 'loyalty' to any platform, then changing is easy, especially if the app situation is arguably better. Factor in the the fact that even some Android apps run like crap on Android compared to their iOS counterparts and it's quite a logical choice from an informed users perspective.
    Because there's more to a phone than apps?

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    To you. You are not xales. I am not xales. We all have different uses for our devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-26-14 06:34 AM
    Yup, you keep telling yourself that.

I suspect most of the rest of us understand that a strong App ecosystem is what drives sales and platform adoption/retention. BB doesn't have one, and piggybacking on rival platform's ecosystem is a sticking plaster solution to a big problem.

Tell me you don't really believe that "better Android than Android" nonsense?
    Drew808 likes this.
    01-26-14 06:37 AM
    Yup, you keep telling yourself that.

I suspect most of the rest of us understand that a strong App ecosystem is what drives sales and platform adoption/retention. BB doesn't have one, and piggybacking on rival platform's ecosystem is a sticking plaster solution to a big problem.

Tell me you don't really believe that "better Android than Android" nonsense?
    Yeah I'll keep telling myself that, because I believe that. I'm not saying that apps aren't important, I'm just saying that I wouldn't choose my phone only based on apps, but more on how good I can use it as a communication tool, and for me bb10 is better than other platforms for what I use it for.
    And for the record I never once said that bb10 is better android than android...

Posted via CB10
    sickyute likes this.
    01-26-14 06:52 AM
    I'm just saying that I wouldn't choose my phone only based on apps, but more on how good I can use it as a communication tool, and for me bb10 is better than other platforms for what I use it for.
    All smartphones can make voice calls, and do email on the go, and play music, and allow internet browsing. I doubt that anyone thinking of buying a phone even consciously considers any of those features as they are a given... It's 2014 after all! Nobody picks up any smartphone and seriously considers if it can be used as a communication tool!

So, what's left? Erm... camera quality might be important to some, and there will be other factors, but I'm sure that overwhelmingly the choice is based on knowledge that specific Apps are available.

So, I agree with you. I doubt anyone would choose a phone based only on Apps, but when you've eliminated the other factors that are a given for any phone in 2014, the App ecosystem becomes the primary differentiator to many potential buyers.
    Drew808 likes this.
    01-26-14 08:10 AM
    All smartphones can make voice calls, and do email on the go, and play music, and allow internet browsing. I doubt that anyone thinking of buying a phone even consciously considers any of those features as they are a given... It's 2014 after all! Nobody picks up any smartphone and seriously considers if it can be used as a communication tool!

So, what's left? Erm... camera quality might be important to some, and there will be other factors, but I'm sure that overwhelmingly the choice is based on knowledge that specific Apps are available.

So, I agree with you. I doubt anyone would choose a phone based only on Apps, but when you've eliminated the other factors that are a given for any phone in 2014, the App ecosystem becomes the primary differentiator to many potential buyers.
    Obviously, I wasn't talking about making voice calls and sending emails, but more on how fast you can use your phone as a tool of communication .

let's take for example legacy blackberry devices users that refuse to switch to bb10 because they want a track pad, or people that will never get an iPhone cause they need a keyboard, or people that would never switch from android because they like how they can customize their phone, etc.

But I definitely understand your point, an ecosystem IS important, an blackberry is lacking one, and I'm sure some people do choose their phone based on this, but I'm also convinced that there's also a lot of people that choose their phone on how they enjoy using it. I didn't get a bb10 phone because of apps, I got it because I liked all the gestures and how fast I could multi-task.

Posted via CB10
    sickyute likes this.
    01-26-14 04:02 PM

All smart phones are not the same when it comes to browsing. The font on the iPhone is too small. A browser on a phone that allows for text reflow is the best. The text size on the Z30 I tried was OK. The default font size on the Z Q 10 was way too small and I bet they lost sales as a result. No sales person that I talked to understood how to change the font size. Does not really matter much any more because it is very difficult to find a BlackBerry in a store that is actually plugged in and works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-27-14 08:56 AM
    All smart phones are not the same when it comes to browsing. The font on the iPhone is too small. A browser on a phone that allows for text reflow is the best. The text size on the Z30 I tried was OK. The default font size on the Z Q 10 was way too small and I bet they lost sales as a result. No sales person that I talked to understood how to change the font size. Does not really matter much any more because it is very difficult to find a BlackBerry in a store that is actually plugged in and works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app

Devs Confirm BlackBerry World Soon Accepting Android Apps-mockit_28012014141403.jpg
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-28-14 01:14 PM
    Only issue I have with BlackBerry World is saving to device, please make a choice, or Native app on device and Android on media card

Posted via CB10 on my ?Zed10
    01-29-14 11:11 PM
172 ... 567