The post you linked to is pretty much the person agreeing with me and what I said. Everybody already knows it can run APK files directly. Far too much attention for something that was already known.

The only thing this information introduces is that developers will no longer need to convert to .BAR files BEFORE uploading to BlackBerry World. That's all it equates to. If no developer does it then you still have no apps or worst case, you end up with broken, non-working correctly apps.

Again, all they did was remove one step from the whole process that was already in place. No more porting.
    He is right, the only thing that changes is submitting APK files directly and not having to go through the extra steps of converting. The less hoops to jump through, the better. The only thing i forgot to ask, and i am kicking myself for it now, is if the APK files have to be signed with a keystore file, similar to Google Play, or if Android apps will be signed with Blackberrys own q12 format.

You would figure Blackberry has to get developers to "sign" the file when the upload it, so things can be traced back. This is the way they have always done BAR files, interesting no one has mentioned this yet.
    01-13-14 12:26 AM
    You still need to get over the barrier of the fact that Android devs don't want to submit their apps. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    Yes, this is true. Even if you look at Blackberry focusing again on enterprise customers. You would be hardpressed to find official stuff from Cisco, Microsoft and other companies submitting apps to Blackberry. Instead, they just submit to Google Play, to a much wider audience. Hopefully Blackberry can convince them to just upload their APK files to Blackberry World.
    01-13-14 12:28 AM
    Yes plenty of people running the leak are getting apps from 1mobile. Either that or their are plenty if people lying on countless threads. Some people are using 1mobile, some are using Amazon, some are using SNAP, and some are using combinations or all three.

Posted via CB10
    some are using the Good e-Reader app store too! Good e-Reader App Store - Alternative Android App Stores
    01-13-14 12:29 AM
    BlackBerry has officially jumped the shark. Please lower your smartphone and mourn the transition of BlackBerry 10 to just another Google Android running device.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-13-14 01:53 AM
    BlackBerry has officially jumped the shark. Please lower your smartphone and mourn the transition of BlackBerry 10 to just another Google Android running device.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Blackberry is confirming ubiquity of their secure OS, whatever the format (APK or BAR) will be used.

As a side note, I'd add that the convert process (APK to BAR) is - AFAIK - the smoothest way to detect potential major problems for porting an Android app on BB10 OS (and devices). While it'll not be enough as such, this is kinda the fast mandatory first step for (serious) devs. I do believe it's a pretty good (light) barrier to avoid both massive flooding with fart aps and IP issues (the one who signs is responsible of what is published).
    If a developer is serious (I mean not "throw and see") about offering an app on BB World, this won't be a problem.
    Corbu and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-13-14 02:35 AM
    What if BlackBerry itself start sending each "big" android dev an email to let them know they can actually upload apk? Maybe some of them will do, maybe others will take a look at native development,others finally will just delete the mail of course..

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 03:24 AM
    Reading this thread, and other tread as well, I just don't understand why some people are against blackberry doing all they can to get android apps working on BB10 devices. People saying that they are going to switch devices if that happens, WTF?!?!?! I mean, you know that those apps are not going to be installed by themselves right? If you don't want them, just dont hit the download button, problem solved.
    And for people saying that devs won't make native apps cause they'll be able to just 'port' their apps to bbworld, just like bla1ze said, you know that 'big devs' don't give a hoot of the bb10 platform right, so if we ever want to see their apps on bb10 that's the only way...
    And maybe, and that is a big maybe, if the apk direct install ever catch up and people start buying bb10 devices then we could say that we want android apps to be native, be right now, we should consider ourselves lucky to have those android ports.
    And like I said, if you don't want them, then just don't download them, I just can't stand people giving bad reviews to apps just cause they're android ports, like seriously people grow up!

Posted via CB10
    smart548, Superfly_FR and ATMJOE like this.
    01-13-14 03:25 AM
    Reading this thread, and other tread as well, I just don't understand why some people are against blackberry doing all they can to get android apps working on BB10 devices. People saying that they are going to switch devices if that happens, WTF?!?!?! I mean, you know that those apps are not going to be installed by themselves right? If you don't want them, just dont hit the download button, problem solved.
    And for people saying that devs won't make native apps cause they'll be able to just 'port' their apps to bbworld, just like bla1ze said, you know that 'big devs' don't give a hoot of the bb10 platform right, so if we ever want to see their apps on bb10 that's the only way...
    And maybe, and that is a big maybe, if the apk direct install ever catch up and people start buying bb10 devices then we could say that we want android apps to be native, be right now, we should consider ourselves lucky to have those android ports.
    And like I said, if you don't want them, then just don't download them, I just can't stand people giving bad reviews to apps just cause they're android ports, like seriously people grow up!

Posted via CB10
    ^ ^ ^

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 03:55 AM
    If an Android dev currently thinks converting an apk to a bar file is a hassle then he probably won't want to even go through the hoops of creating an account on BlackBerry World, submitting the proper icon (different spec than Play Store) and a feature image. I just don't see this as a big deal to improve submissions as the final step of converting to a bar file takes less than a minute.
    I think it still has complications. The performance is not as good.
    01-13-14 05:31 AM
    I think it still has complications. The performance is not as good.
    ... but also prevent blind/bulk submission that would result into BB reviewer overload.
    01-13-14 06:14 AM
    I'd say stop being confused. BlackBerry has confirmed nothing. If it turns out BB is not going ahead with this Android idea, then the co will remain consistent with your idea and BB's own assertion of apps not games, enterprise/business not the iToy market.
    01-13-14 10:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    What ???.... even QNX runs android on overlay... BB10 isn't going anywhere...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-13-14 11:12 AM
    I'd say stop being confused. BlackBerry has confirmed nothing. If it turns out BB is not going ahead with this Android idea, then the co will remain consistent with your idea and BB's own assertion of apps not games, enterprise/business not the iToy market.
    They are using android is the app leverage, nothing more.
    01-13-14 01:09 PM
    What ???.... even QNX runs android on overlay... BB10 isn't going anywhere...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    But the continual development effort expended by BlackBerry on the BlackBerry Android Player is sending conflicting messages to users or potential users in addition to diverting scarce resources from more important features native to BlackBerry OS 10 and native applications.
    01-14-14 12:38 AM
    But the continual development effort expended by BlackBerry on the BlackBerry Android Player is sending conflicting messages to users or potential users in addition to diverting scarce resources from more important features native to BlackBerry OS 10 and native applications.
    Mixed messages? Scare on software employees ? This is what they are focusing on the most... that would signal a focus on more software meaning improving QNX, bb10 and the android runtime across the board. What you said about going full Android is so wrong and not backed by any facts...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-14-14 01:01 AM
    I believe, not.
    BlackBerry is now targeting the cross-platform crowd. BES, BBM being advertised as such.
    Having BB10 devices able to run android apps is a natural way to convert former Android users to BB10, provided they can get the apps they cannot get natively aboard.
    There's still work to do in this area - google services point is obvious - yet, the least we can say is that the 10.2.1.xxx Android "player" is more than simply functional.
    I don't believe this requires an army of developers to go further in this area, but they cannot stop as Android if a mutant, in permanent evolution.
    01-14-14 03:44 AM
    Alec's comment makes no sense. You currently can do apk submission in bar format already
    I fail to see what he means by direct apk submission, BUT still in bar format
    I wonder whether you can submit apk directly, but the process will convert to bar automatically during the upload to BBW?
    Seems feasible, but that's just a speculation
    Reread what he said. You are misquoting him.
    01-14-14 09:07 AM
    This article is so flawed, It does NOT bring anything new to the table.

Android apps are already supported, with 10.2.1 even more features are supported (still No Bluetooth LE(4) )

Android runtime already supports in-app purchases, BUT - the developer must of course first register as a vendor for BBWorld, then have the APK repacked as BAR, then submit it as a normal app to BBWorld for vetting, and if found OK - the app will be available..

BlackBerry will not turn their back on BB10 developers, and there has been no sign that there would be a separate section in BBWorld for pure APK files.

BlackBerry has worked hard to create BlackBerry10 UI/UX , and so far there are NO Android apps that can deliver anything even close to this. Instead of cheering to much for all the Android support, let us instead keep pushing developers into supporting BlackBerry10 platform directly, - and only use Android for those few who for various reasons can't do non-Android...

Also- Android apps are NOT supported on BES10 (management sopports Android devices, but Android apps is NOT permitted in the work space on a BlackBerry10 device) - at least not for now...
    01-14-14 09:17 AM
    The only thing that is lacking for android apps is Google services so I guess that will still remain a road block but I really do hope they market this, imagine.. want apps? The New blackberry10 has them all!

On another note, can anybody with some technical coding knowledge tell me why android apps can't achieve the same performance as on an android.

I mean same apps on z10 and HTC one with similar specs and the HTC launches faster and loads all menus faster.

If all androids run a runtime or dalvik machine, any chances of increasing performance in later builds. Is it because it's all sandboxed?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Posted via CB10
    The HTC One is FAR more powerful than the Z10. It's a full generation ahead of it.

They definitely don't have anywhere near the same specs.

HTC One :

- has DOUBLE the graphics performance of the Z10

- has a QUAD core CPU versus the dual core Z10

- has cores that run at faster clock speeds than the cores in the Z10's CPU.

- has a better CPU architecture
    (i.e: we could reduce the clock speed of the HTC one's CPU cores by 200 Mhz each (to match the speed of the Z10's cores), AND remove two full cores from the HTC One's CPU... and the HTC One's CPU would STILL execute code faster than the Z10's CPU)

CB10 : Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1803
    Last edited by mnc76; 01-14-14 at 10:35 AM.
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    01-14-14 09:56 AM
    I am sorry but this is a death sentence for BlackBerry.

The whole point of being able to download apks directly was just that.. to download apks directly. This should be distinct from blackberry world.

To ur average consumer, blackberry world is where u get ur apps that work 100 percent.

The apk solution is actually good as a,' ok this is the best we can do' solution., but it's a bit if a Russian roulette. As the runtime has improved so has the compatibility. But the store is still riddled with apps that don't work properly, have poor integration with the bb10 system, ie, line does not make video calls because it doesn't recognise the camera, Snapchat has no notifications ( as well as other apps)... this is suicidal, and adding these apps to blackberry world is adding mediocrity to the mix.

Good luck disappointing the customer and then keeping them.

I sincerely hope BlackBerry 10 apps are kept separate from apk direct downloads. At the same time having 2 app stores is also a bit of a problem from a what is the point when I can get it all from one app store elsewhere point of view ... but I would really really hate to see apk files that have 'just had updated profiles and icons' modified.

Sorry sir/miss, while ur at it, can you also modify the whole app to make sure it works on this system. Thank you. This is where the emphasis should be at.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-14-14 05:59 PM
    I am sorry but this is a death sentence for BlackBerry.

The whole point of being able to download apks directly was just that.. to download apks directly. This should be distinct from blackberry world.

To ur average consumer, blackberry world is where u get ur apps that work 100 percent.

The apk solution is actually good as a,' ok this is the best we can do' solution., but it's a bit if a Russian roulette. As the runtime has improved so has the compatibility. But the store is still riddled with apps that don't work properly, have poor integration with the bb10 system, ie, line does not make video calls because it doesn't recognise the camera, Snapchat has no notifications ( as well as other apps)... this is suicidal, and adding these apps to blackberry world is adding mediocrity to the mix.

Good luck disappointing the customer and then keeping them.

I sincerely hope BlackBerry 10 apps are kept separate from apk direct downloads. At the same time having 2 app stores is also a bit of a problem from a what is the point when I can get it all from one app store elsewhere point of view ... but I would really really hate to see apk files that have 'just had updated profiles and icons' modified.

Sorry sir/miss, while ur at it, can you also modify the whole app to make sure it works on this system. Thank you. This is where the emphasis should be at.

Posted via CB10
    This is not the plan from what I heard. They are going to round up all the most important apks and have each company send them in. BlackBerry will convert it for them. And place them in BlackBerry World.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Superfly_FR and Bbnivende like this.
    01-14-14 06:27 PM
    So advanced users can continue to get their apks from wherever they wish, but the disclaimer when installing from these sources always appears.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-14-14 06:28 PM
    yes, and a testing process to make sure they work well before they go on BlackBerry world I hope.

The article may be vague, because it doesn't sound like it

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 03:07 AM
    Still BlackBerry 10.2.1 is not official released, so you might get this on 10.2.1 not 10.3

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925 pin:24D775B4 for more information
    01-15-14 01:34 PM
    Finished 30 levels of candy crush.. now I am stuck because to go futher it has to communicate with the play store.. and of course that doesn't work. I honestly wonder if people will end up being more annoyed by all the android apps that don't work vs. happy about the ones that do.
    amjass12 likes this.
    01-15-14 01:45 PM
172 ... 4567