I hope BlackBerry will involve the PlayBook with this.

Posted via CB10 on my ?Zed10
    01-12-14 08:30 PM
    Its a rumor but I like the idea of having devs submit Apk files, this can triple the app content in BBW and actually make Blackberry a household name again. if only they can curb down the Android spam
    01-12-14 08:40 PM
    Its a rumor but I like the idea of having devs submit Apk files, this can triple the app content in BBW and actually make Blackberry a household name again. if only they can curb down the Android spam
    You still need to get over the barrier of the fact that Android devs don't want to submit their apps. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    JeepBB, kartguy and mnc76 like this.
    01-12-14 10:09 PM
    This is huge. The app gap will officially be closed. It doesn't get any better than this, the best of both worlds, BlackBerry has come a long way. Well done.

Posted via BB-Z10. OS 10.2.1.
    01-12-14 10:14 PM
    If an Android dev currently thinks converting an apk to a bar file is a hassle then he probably won't want to even go through the hoops of creating an account on BlackBerry World, submitting the proper icon (different spec than Play Store) and a feature image. I just don't see this as a big deal to improve submissions as the final step of converting to a bar file takes less than a minute.
    01-12-14 10:18 PM
    If an Android dev currently thinks converting an apk to a bar file is a hassle then he probably won't want to even go through the hoops of creating an account on BlackBerry World, submitting the proper icon (different spec than Play Store) and a feature image. I just don't see this as a big deal.
    Exactly. Android devs are Android devs for reason. They don't care about BlackBerry. While this initiative might catch a few news ones, it's hardly something that's going to change the landscape in a dramatic way.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-12-14 10:19 PM
    Exactly. Android devs are Android devs for reason. They don't care about BlackBerry. While this initiative might catch a few news ones, it's hardly something that's going to change the landscape in a dramatic way.
    If it at least fills the app holes on BBW it's a mission accomplished. There is still more work to be done for the android runtime but they'll get there.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 10:23 PM
    I'd love to see them(BlackBerry) take on major app 1st party app development meaning develop these android apps to native with their permission. It would show dedication to their platform. But I don't think they have the money for that right now.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 10:25 PM
    If it at least fills the app holes on BBW it's a mission accomplished. There is still more work to be done for the android runtime but they'll get there.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Depends on how you look at it I suppose. Most BlackBerry users don't even want the Android apps that exist in BlackBerry World right now. Go read the comments on them, they're all nasty. If you start filling up BlackBerry World with nothing but Android apps, I can only imagine the comments.

Also, everyone seems to forget this about the 3rd or 4th attempt at actually getting Android apps into BlackBerry World now and none of the previous ventures have been overly successful. I'm not trying to be a spoil sport here, I'm just saying anyone who thinks this is going to close the app gap in some huge way is sadly mistaken.

BlackBerry would need to go to ALL the big name app publishers and have them commit to not only submitting the apps but also supporting them further on down the road otherwise, you're just going to get a bunch of smaller Android apps that even people on Android won't touch. Kind of what already exists in BlackBerry World with the few exceptions like Skype and Flipboard.
    JeepBB and Kris Simundson like this.
    01-12-14 10:29 PM
    It's just a native app to get access to Google play. As simple as that.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925

Per CB article:

You just simply sideload the BAR file, load up the app and search for the app you wish to install, then from there it will pull in the APK file directly from the Google Play Store and you can download and install it directly onto your BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Of course, there is one very reasonable caveat here. While Snap may find paid apps through it's search mechanism, you CANNOT actually install those paid applications as only free downloads are supported.

Representing people around the globe who are unlikely to install leaked OS's, side load Bar files, or only use free android apps, I say that BB needs to find a way to being more Android Apps to BBW.
    01-12-14 10:38 PM
    Depends on how you look at it I suppose. Most BlackBerry users don't even want the Android apps that exist in BlackBerry World right now. Go read the comments on them, they're all nasty. If you start filling up BlackBerry World with nothing but Android apps, I can only imagine the comments.

Also, everyone seems to forget this about the 3rd attempt at actually getting Android apps into BlackBerry World now and none of the previous ventures have been overly successful. I'm not trying to be a spoil sport here, I'm just saying anyone who thinks this is going to close the app gap in some huge way is sadly mistaken.

BlackBerry would need to go to ALL the big name app publishers and have them commit to not only submitting the apps but also supporting them further on down the road otherwise, you're just going to get a bunch of smaller Android apps that even people on Android won't touch. Kind of what already exists in BlackBerry World with the few exceptions like Skype and Flipboard.
    Well the android runtime of 10.2.1 performance is far different from 10.1 and 10.2 that's the perspective they have right now.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 10:40 PM
    Per CB article:

You just simply sideload the BAR file, load up the app and search for the app you wish to install, then from there it will pull in the APK file directly from the Google Play Store and you can download and install it directly onto your BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Of course, there is one very reasonable caveat here. While Snap may find paid apps through it's search mechanism, you CANNOT actually install those paid applications as only free downloads are supported.

Representing people around the globe who are unlikely to install leaked OS's, side load Bar files, or only use free android apps, I say that BB needs to find a way to being more Android Apps to BBW.
    Well that article is wrong because I'm pretty sure I was able to install a payed android app from Google play.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 10:42 PM
    Well the android runtime of 10.2.1 performance is far different from 10.1 and 10.2 that's the perspective they have right now.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    And? It means nothing to Android devs. Most of whom don't even know the Android player exists and those who do, simply do not care. This is my whole point. Android devs do not care and in order to get those apps into BlackBerry World you have to make them care. Allowing them to directly upload their APK is simply not enough to do that.
    blackmoe, JeepBB and mnc76 like this.
    01-12-14 10:43 PM
    Well that article is wrong because I'm pretty sure I was able to install a payed android app from Google play.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    You can, if you have the APK for it. That article is from the Snap article and Snap does not allow the download of paid applications. I should know, I wrote it.

http://crackberry.com/snap-blackberr...-apk-downloads
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-12-14 10:44 PM
    You can, if you have the APK for it. That article is from the Snap article and Snap does not allow the download of paid applications. I should know, I wrote it.

http://crackberry.com/snap-blackberr...-apk-downloads
    Even if already purchased ? Why bother listing the payed apps if that's the case.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 10:50 PM
    Again maybe they are reaching out to developers who's apps they've tested themselves with 10.2.1 which now work.

You keep bringing up the past but aren't pointing out that most android apps didn't even work before 4.2 and the unlocked runtime. Why would a developer have released their app if it didn't work before? Comparing now to what we had before isn't very fair.

Posted via CB10
    You're 100% correct here. This is a fairly large incentive that was not there before. I'll be letting my Android development acquaintances know about this once it goes public.

Download Noted, a 5-star rated, native BB10 memo pad app.
    01-12-14 10:51 PM
    Even if already purchased ? Why bother listing the payed apps if that's the case.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    No idea. I assume the dev is preparing for some integration that may allow it.
    01-12-14 10:56 PM
    Like I was able to download the angry birds star wars 2 giveaway through snap. It works pretty good.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 11:06 PM
    Again maybe they are reaching out to developers who's apps they've tested themselves with 10.2.1 which now work.

You keep bringing up the past but aren't pointing out that most android apps didn't even work before 4.2 and the unlocked runtime. Why would a developer have released their app if it didn't work before? Comparing now to what we had before isn't very fair.

Posted via CB10
    Many developers apps did work fine before and many people did tell those developers their apps worked fine before. They still never ended up in BlackBerry World. I have no doubt that BlackBerry is going to publishing houses and telling them of the improvements and they will gain some apps from it. That was never really in question. It's still up the publishing houses and developers if they want to submit it and support the BlackBerry platform in that way and a lot of them just don't see BlackBerry as a viable platform to spend any time on.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-12-14 11:07 PM
    Many developers apps did work fine before and many people did tell those developers their apps worked fine before. They still never ended up in BlackBerry World. I have no doubt that BlackBerry is going to publishing houses and telling them of the improvements and they will gain some apps from it. That was never really in question. It's still up the publishing houses and developers if they want to submit it and support the BlackBerry platform in that way and a lot of them just don't see BlackBerry as a viable platform to spend any time on.
    If they can't do the bear minimum of posting compatible 4.2.2 versions of their apps it's kinda weak... that's where Chen needs to step in and get these devs in line. This is no different than supporting amazon or some other store.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 11:17 PM
    If they can't do the bear minimum of posting compatible 4.2.2 versions of their apps it's kinda weak... that's where Chen needs to step in and get these devs in line. This is no different than supporting amazon or some other store.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Even in-app purchases require modification so that right there means some company has to pay their developer to make changes to the Android app in order to submit it to BlackBerry World and I'm sure I don't have to tell you how many apps these days make use of in-app purchases. That's the basis of some developers business.

Note that users will not be able to make in-app purchases through the Android Market on BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps. However, in-app purchases are supported through BlackBerry World. We highly recommend that you modify your application to remove any dependency on the Android Market, before submitting your application. Applications that heavily rely on Android Market, where the usability is significantly impacted by the inability to access the Android Market, will be rejected by BlackBerry World.
    But I digress, I'm done with this topic. The more the app gap gets closed is fine by me. I can't wait to read all the reviews in BlackBerry World cussing the developers because they never made a native app lol.
    01-12-14 11:25 PM
    Um, of course it true since in the leaks now 10.2.1 you can install .apk's directly now

Posted via CB10
    You can install APKs but not download from BlackBerry World. The key difference is to download directly from BB World.
    01-12-14 11:44 PM
    You can install APKs but not download from BlackBerry World. The key difference is to download directly from BB World.
    got it, so we just have a single way app store called Blackberry world. Is it??
    hahahha
    01-13-14 12:13 AM
    got it, so we just have a single way app store called Blackberry world. Is it??
    hahahha
    Huh no. It's just the only official way.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-13-14 12:17 AM
    Huh no. It's just the only official way.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    whatever, yes!
    01-13-14 12:22 AM
172 ... 34567