Yay more Android ports -.-.... Making me not want a BlackBerry anymore
    You know what you could do!?

Not download them!!

Please don't be dumb and think BlackBerry isn't going to screen these apps for issues that could cause problems!!

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    01-12-14 02:42 AM
    Shame..bb must get thier own apps...

Posted via CB10
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    01-12-14 03:18 AM
    Alec's comment makes no sense. You currently can do apk submission in bar format already
    I fail to see what he means by direct apk submission, BUT still in bar format
    I wonder whether you can submit apk directly, but the process will convert to bar automatically during the upload to BBW?
    Seems feasible, but that's just a speculation
    He means developers will doing even less... send the apk and BlackBerry will convert for them. since this such a hard 5 min process...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 03:47 AM
    Shame..bb must get thier own apps...

Posted via CB10
    They will... can they fill in with android first since it's the easy and logical first step ? next plan of action would be for BlackBerry to develop a way to convert these android apps to native and overlay a native bb10 ui.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 03:49 AM
    Confusing? Not really. Nothing wrong with having a two-pronged strategy at the moment though it seems one is talked about more than the other. BBRY, under Chen, realizes that while going after prosumers is the "official" strategy, continued support and evolution of the consumer base is also important. I like the approach.
    The two strategies conflict with each other. You really can't have two target demographics more different than first world business user and developing world consumers.

At one end of the spectrum, business users are unlikely fond of the new security liabilities sideloading and the like entail. At the other end of the spectrum, Indonesians are reluctant to pay for smartphones with 2 GB RAM. Try to please everybody and please nobody.
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    01-12-14 04:15 AM
    They will... can they fill in with android first since it's the easy and logical first step ? next plan of action would be for BlackBerry to develop a way to convert these android apps to native and overlay a native bb10 ui.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    3 more years??? Android apps very heavy on os 10.. and if BlackBerry will not creat the native apps will lose many consumers..
    Just my openion

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:56 AM
    Getting desperate I see.
    01-12-14 06:35 AM
    Even if this is true, which btw I don't think it is entirely, Android developers still need to submit their apps and they've pretty much proven they don't give a damn about BlackBerry. On top of that, it's not as easy as just uploading your APK, taking a few screenshots and calling it a day.

That would be rather careless on the developers side because the app may not work correctly and in turn, they would be getting emails and complaints about it which they're not prepared to handle. There was actually an email sent out to developers about Android apps recently and I think some of that got muddled, trying to find the email now.

I don't doubt there is some accuracy to the information, however it's still very chicken and egg. If developers don't submit their apps then there is no new apps. Realistically, this is no different than what they're doing now except the conversion step has been removed.
    Check out...Here It Comes (BlackBerry Native Android Apps) in [Market-Ticker]
    01-12-14 06:37 AM
    Getting desperate I see.
    No desperation but clever thinking to solve a pressing problem. Hats off the BB management team.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    LP_Rigg and LuvULongTime like this.
    01-12-14 07:06 AM
    I'm gonna miss sideloading!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 07:17 AM

At one end of the spectrum, business users are unlikely fond of the new security liabilities sideloading and the like entail. At the other end of the spectrum, Indonesians are reluctant to pay for smartphones with 2 GB RAM. Try to please everybody and please nobody.
    The android runtime is sandboxed within BB10 and so unlikely it will throw out any viruses and the like. Anyways security conscious folks will disable side-loading on the MDM server itself. Which will explain why there is a flick button to allow/disallow installing from 'Other Sources'. The FoxConn deal will appeal to the price conscious folks imho.
    01-12-14 07:27 AM
    Sometimes BlackBerry confuses me.. they say they're going to focus on business and enterprise, and then they go and do something which would seem to be a move aimed at getting regular consumers back.

If that's what they're doing, cool. I just hope that if this is somehow true, they actually market it somehow. Or else what's the good if only people with BlackBerry 10 devices know about this? They've made their money off of us. If this is to get new customers, they'd best let them know.

Super Bowl commercial, anyone?
    While this seems to be aimed more at consumers, the fact is it's about more than just games and entertainment. 'Business' users, or pro-sumers, will benefit from this as well. How many times do you seen a business advertise an app 'for your Apple or Android device'? Those are all part of the 'app gap', not just the Netflix's and Skype's.

Disclaimer: Personally, I still wouldn't trust a developed-for-Android banking app on my BB; but for those who would, they'll be there, too.
    01-12-14 07:44 AM
    Yah, well Kevin can't say more than half the stuff he knows because of his NDA, so I wouldn't take his word for much these days
    I trust the internal sources and leaks we hear more than CB these days tbh because most people in CB have NDA preventing them from saying much
    AFAIK there's no NDA between CB and BlackBerry (Kevin stated that a while ago). I believe there's some restrictions applying to devices or software but for a very short time (days), in order to allow "media" to prepare articles contents on big releases. Sorry I forgot the legal term, let's say "under the blanket". This is a general media rule; if you infringe it, your credibility will be ruined and won't be invited next time, but won't go to court.

P.S: Bla1ze, Kevin, or anybody from CB team familiar with the matter, feel free to correct me. I'm speaking as an individual here.
    01-12-14 08:04 AM
    AFAIK there's no NDA between CB and BlackBerry (Kevin stated that a while ago). I believe there's some restrictions applying to devices or software but for a very short time (days), in order to allow "media" to prepare articles contents on big releases. Sorry I forgot the legal term, let's say "under the blanket". This is a general media rule; if you infringe it, your credibility will be ruined and won't be invited next time, but won't go to court.

P.S: Bla1ze, Kevin, or anybody from CB team familiar with the matter, feel free to correct me. I'm speaking as an individual here.
    The term you're looking for Superfly is a "press embargo" and it's used as you say. I've seen a few myself with a header of "Not for public release prior to 12 noon 13th December 2013", or somesuch.

As to NDAs, CB staff have posted several times that they don't and won't sign such things - iirc due to potentially compromising their journalistic freedom.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-12-14 08:21 AM
    As usual BlackBerry's inability to communicate a cohesive message is allowing the market and user base to set unrealistic expectations that BlackBerry will fail to meet and cause these groups to get upset, even though BlackBerry never set the expectations. They have too many people spreading the message who don't know what the message is, or can't articulate it properly. Chen should set up a corporate policy with a single Twitter / Facebook /etc. and have that be the only communications. If devs need to talk to Alec, have them put on their big boy pants and use email, not 140 character personal Twitter accounts.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu likes this.
    01-12-14 09:46 AM
    While this seems to be aimed more at consumers, the fact is it's about more than just games and entertainment. 'Business' users, or pro-sumers, will benefit from this as well. How many times do you seen a business advertise an app 'for your Apple or Android device'? Those are all part of the 'app gap', not just the Netflix's and Skype's.

Disclaimer: Personally, I still wouldn't trust a developed-for-Android banking app on my BB; but for those who would, they'll be there, too.
    That is correct, both platforms are packed with high profile business productivity and business intelligence apps which are completely absent from BBRY .
    01-12-14 09:49 AM
    Sleepnbear:

Are there any real life examples of android bank app hacking ? Do you think that the bank IT staff think that their android apps are not secure ? Is the iOS bank app more secure ?
    01-12-14 10:28 AM
    if they work like native, what do you care, it's just incentive for android users to come to the dark side ;-) i used to side load, now i've become complacent and lazy, my next phone will have apks installed directly by me - what's not to like?
    01-12-14 10:41 AM
    Sleepnbear:

Are there any real life examples of android bank app hacking ? Do you think that the bank IT staff think that their android apps are not secure ?
    Not that I'm aware of; but Google has crossed the privacy line enough mining data supposedly for advertising purposes that I just don't trust them. It may just be the platform over any specific app that's less than ideally secure, but that's just me.

Is the iOS bank app more secure ?
    If I had to guess I'd say yes, but iOS apps won't be running on BB10 (that we know of).
    Revampd likes this.
    01-12-14 11:02 AM
    Not that I'm aware of; but Google has crossed the privacy line enough mining data supposedly for advertising purposes that I just don't trust them. It may just be the platform over any specific app that's less than ideally secure, but that's just me.

If I had to guess I'd say yes, but iOS apps won't be running on BB10 (that we know of).
    If that would be possible, I would never get an Android or iPhone again (or WP #NoOneCaresMS). Give me a Z50 with a 1080p resolution, removable battery and the ability to run iOS apps!!!
    01-12-14 11:09 AM
    Sleepnbear:

Are there any real life examples of android bank app hacking ? Do you think that the bank IT staff think that their android apps are not secure ? Is the iOS bank app more secure ?
    It doesn't matter if the Android bank app is hacked if you have any app that has access to protected storage and is malicious on the phone. If that app also loads a service you're screwed as it then does not have to be visible to execute and can register an intent to be woken up on any event it wishes.
    01-12-14 11:24 AM
    We'd guessed this was coming, even if we didn't know when. We still don't know when. But extra corroboration is good.

Posted by the inimitable Z10 handheld system
    01-12-14 11:24 AM
    Why would a bank put out a App that can be hacked or used by a third party? The bank would be liable should that happen . The millions of Android users of Bank Apps have not reported problems with their bank apps so basically I chalk this down to fear mongering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-12-14 11:59 AM
    Why would a bank put out a App that can be hacked or used by a third party? The bank would be liable should that happen . The millions of Android users of Bank Apps have not reported problems with their bank apps so basically I chalk this down to fear mongering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Any app can be hacked even if it's to merely add a keylogger leaving the banking functionality itself along. This is why you need to get your apps from a trusted source such as the official app stores to at least minimize that risk. 1Mobile is not where I would be getting my banking apps from.
    01-12-14 12:07 PM
    Ok..people are getting into this a little too much lol

Just reminding everyone that this is a rumor.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Corbu and eldricho like this.
    01-12-14 12:18 PM
172 12345 ...