Why skip 10.2.2, 10.2.3 etc?

Lots of versions available before 10.3.

Usually the importance of the release including new features is what determines which part of the version# is incremented with the final section reserved for build number. Bug fixes do not warrant 10.3.
    Maybe but I don't think 1925 will be the next big official update, the runtime needs just a little more tweaking and some of the bugs need to be worked out still. I heard there is at least one carrier that might release it, but I'm not sure if blackberry will bill it as their "big " one.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:03 PM
    Maybe but I don't think 1925 will be the next big official update, the runtime needs just a little more tweaking and some of the bugs need to be worked out still. I heard there is at least one carrier that might release it, but I'm not sure if blackberry will bill it as their "big " one.

Posted via CB10
    well, it's the one on the servers right now. as for whether it's the big one, who knows?
    I mean technically for 10.1, the golden release was 10.1.0.17xx, but the actual stable builds weren't until 2354
    01-11-14 01:06 PM
    This is fantastic news!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 03:30 PM
    The only thing that is lacking for android apps is Google services so I guess that will still remain a road block but I really do hope they market this, imagine.. want apps? The New blackberry10 has them all!

On another note, can anybody with some technical coding knowledge tell me why android apps can't achieve the same performance as on an android.

I mean same apps on z10 and HTC one with similar specs and the HTC launches faster and loads all menus faster.

If all androids run a runtime or dalvik machine, any chances of increasing performance in later builds. Is it because it's all sandboxed?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 04:17 PM
    Yay more Android ports -.-.... Making me not want a BlackBerry anymore
    There not ports. They are full Droid apps.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    Barljo, dusdal and skelleytech like this.
    01-11-14 04:29 PM
    Yay more Android ports -.-.... Making me not want a BlackBerry anymore
    You don't have to install them if you don't want them. It's a far better option for those people who have been avoiding BB10 strictly because of the lack of apps.
    01-11-14 04:44 PM
    A pretty large number of new games I try from 1mobile don't work or need access to google play so I think they have a long way to go. Unless there is a contract from google to allow bb to access google play then I many new games won't work.

I think people will be very disappointed if they get a new bb thinking they can run "all" android apps.
    01-11-14 05:56 PM
    Man its gamer on now. BlackBerry needs to make some freaking commercials!

Z10
    01-11-14 06:18 PM
    Much much better than bringing the crappy G Play and all their Advertisement so called free services.

//Some forum moderators are like communist
    One thing I do hate is there are so many fake apps in google play it's ridiculous. Unless you know who the publisher is, it's a gamble.
    01-11-14 08:16 PM
    One thing I do hate is there are so many fake apps in google play it's ridiculous. Unless you know who the publisher is, it's a gamble.
    With a little bit of diligence, it's a non-issue though.

I think Google could clean up the naming convention, but for the most part, I think Play's peer review is unmatched.
    Drew808 likes this.
    01-11-14 08:21 PM
    A pretty large number of new games I try from 1mobile don't work or need access to google play so I think they have a long way to go. Unless there is a contract from google to allow bb to access google play then I many new games won't work.

I think people will be very disappointed if they get a new bb thinking they can run "all" android apps.
    1 Mobile is crappy, so maybe there lies your problem. Try Snap or Amazon appstore.
    01-11-14 08:41 PM
    Even if this is true, which btw I don't think it is entirely, Android developers still need to submit their apps and they've pretty much proven they don't give a damn about BlackBerry. On top of that, it's not as easy as just uploading your APK, taking a few screenshots and calling it a day.

That would be rather careless on the developers side because the app may not work correctly and in turn, they would be getting emails and complaints about it which they're not prepared to handle. There was actually an email sent out to developers about Android apps recently and I think some of that got muddled, trying to find the email now.

I don't doubt there is some accuracy to the information, however it's still very chicken and egg. If developers don't submit their apps then there is no new apps. Realistically, this is no different than what they're doing now except the conversion step has been removed.
    01-11-14 08:42 PM
    There should be a tool that uploads the apk to all or major app stores - Google play, amazon, BlackBerry World, 1mobile, etc. (with necessary conversion if required). Apparently nobody invested in such idea.

It's like broadcasting some news through the networks which we have quite a number.

Posted via CB10
    bpgc likes this.
    01-11-14 08:50 PM
    On another note, can anybody with some technical coding knowledge tell me why android apps can't achieve the same performance as on an android.

I mean same apps on z10 and HTC one with similar specs and the HTC launches faster and loads all menus faster.

If all androids run a runtime or dalvik machine, any chances of increasing performance in later builds. Is it because it's all sandboxed?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Posted via CB10
    There's no particular reason; indeed, the Z-10 outperforms most similar-spec'd phones on both CPU and graphics (especially graphics.)

The problem is I/O -- its extremely slow in that department. That is a "pain point" that BlackBerry should put some effort into fixing, as I'm quite-certain they can find where the interference is (likely in some combination of I/O block size differences) and by fixing it the load performance in particular will be boosted by 5x or more (the deficiency in this area is extremely large -- but it's the only deficiency.)
    Rudy Kruger, Corbu and eldricho like this.
    01-11-14 09:05 PM
    Alec's comment makes no sense. You currently can do apk submission in bar format already
    I fail to see what he means by direct apk submission, BUT still in bar format
    I wonder whether you can submit apk directly, but the process will convert to bar automatically during the upload to BBW?
    Seems feasible, but that's just a speculation
    If you read it carefully, he is actually saying that we will soon be able to install apk files directly; "soon" bc 10.2.1 is not official yet. Then he goes on to say that BBW submissions will still need to be converted to .bar format. No where in his tweet did he say "direct apk submission".

Posted via CB10
    NinjaB likes this.
    01-11-14 09:19 PM
    Sometimes BlackBerry confuses me.. they say they're going to focus on business and enterprise, and then they go and do something which would seem to be a move aimed at getting regular consumers back.

If that's what they're doing, cool. I just hope that if this is somehow true, they actually market it somehow. Or else what's the good if only people with BlackBerry 10 devices know about this? They've made their money off of us. If this is to get new customers, they'd best let them know.

Super Bowl commercial, anyone?
    01-11-14 09:26 PM
    I wish people would learn what firmware is and not use it to describe an OS.

Firmware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Most mobile phones have a Firmware Over The Air firmware upgrade capability for much the same reasons; some may even be upgraded to enhance reception or sound quality, illustrating the fact that firmware is used at more than one level in complex products (in a CPU-like microcontroller versus in a digital signal processor, in this particular case).
    What exactly was your point?

(I don't have a strong opinion on what is by definition software vs firmware, but curious to know what you're specific reasoning is)
    01-11-14 09:38 PM
    Sometimes BlackBerry confuses me.. they say they're going to focus on business and enterprise, and then they go and do something which would seem to be a move aimed at getting regular consumers back.

If that's what they're doing, cool. I just hope that if this is somehow true, they actually market it somehow. Or else what's the good if only people with BlackBerry 10 devices know about this? They've made their money off of us. If this is to get new customers, they'd best let them know.

I've pondered this point, and am a bit confused as well.

Don't know how they get undecideds to buy in. That will be tough.
    01-11-14 09:42 PM
    Even if this is true, which btw I don't think it is entirely, Android developers still need to submit their apps and they've pretty much proven they don't give a damn about BlackBerry. On top of that, it's not as easy as just uploading your APK, taking a few screenshots and calling it a day.

That would be rather careless on the developers side because the app may not work correctly and in turn, they would be getting emails and complaints about it which they're not prepared to handle. There was actually an email sent out to developers about Android apps recently and I think some of that got muddled, trying to find the email now.

I don't doubt there is some accuracy to the information, however it's still very chicken and egg. If developers don't submit their apps then there is no new apps. Realistically, this is no different than what they're doing now except the conversion step has been removed.
    Well besides the fact that a lot more apps actually work now with 4.2 and and the unlocked runtime.

Why would a developer have submited an app when it most likely didn't even work before compared to now.

Posted via CB10
    Carterbits likes this.
    01-11-14 10:57 PM
    There should be a tool that uploads the apk to all or major app stores - Google play, amazon, BlackBerry World, 1mobile, etc. (with necessary conversion if required). Apparently nobody invested in such idea.

It's like broadcasting some news through the networks which we have quite a number.

Posted via CB10
    It's not that "nobody invested in the idea", it's that you can't just go grab someone else's app catalog without consent.
    01-11-14 11:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not that "nobody invested in the idea", it's that you can't just go grab someone else's app catalog without consent.
    Superfly_FR, JeepBB and eldricho like this.
    01-11-14 11:28 PM
    I meant for app developers. When they build an apk there is a bunch of stores they need to upload their own app to. Android portal folks complained that their app got into 1mobile site without their awareness. But if there was a tool that covers many target locations and do conversion if required (as for BlackBerry World) then we would see broader distribution of apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:23 AM
    The current phone line is shot in the eye of Jon Q. Public. Do not waste this on the current line.

Come out with a new wiz bang phone with cutting edge hardware and role out the new OS with the Droid improvements.
    Market it with an edge to the ads.
    Last edited by trsbbs; 01-12-14 at 01:06 AM.
    01-12-14 12:51 AM

I agree and I would add that at least now with the conversion step it insures that the developer at least runs the app on BB10 to make sure it works. Without this extra step I think we'll see a flood of non-working apps.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    blackmoe likes this.
    01-12-14 01:06 AM

Confusing? Not really. Nothing wrong with having a two-pronged strategy at the moment though it seems one is talked about more than the other. BBRY, under Chen, realizes that while going after prosumers is the "official" strategy, continued support and evolution of the consumer base is also important. I like the approach.
    sleepngbear, Superfly_FR and Corbu like this.
    01-12-14 01:30 AM
172 1234 ...