http://www.berryreview.com/2012/06/1...beta-released/

RIM's making every tool under the sun available to developers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 05:15 PM
    Yea. You have pretty much every option you could want for developing, I guess the only thing holding them back is the smaller user base. And that'll change.
    06-15-12 06:52 PM
    That and cascades, BB10.
    06-15-12 07:08 PM
    I just got an email from RIM with the subject: "Build the interaces that users want with Cascades". It includes a link to a pretty cool 1 hour video showing tips and tricks to using Cascades. They really are going the extra mile to show people how cool Cascades can make your app and how easy it is to implement. Cudos to Alec and the dev relations team.
    06-15-12 09:02 PM
    Adobe Air is crap. Not to say RIM isn't working on improving developer tools, but that link references Air, which despite what Adobe would like, is garbage.

You'd be better off showcasing Visual Studio and/or Eclipse plugins supporting multiple languages, as well as BB10 emulators for Win/Mac/*nix platforms.

Cascades is very nice for UI elements, and I really hope they focus on providing shared libraries for a multitude of compilers. GCC being top priority.

Penned via Tapatalk.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-15-12 at 10:22 PM.
    06-15-12 10:20 PM
    Adobe Air is crap. Not to say RIM isn't working on improving developer tools, but that link references Air, which despite what Adobe would like, is garbage.

You'd be better off showcasing Visual Studio and/or Eclipse plugins supporting multiple languages, as well as BB10 emulators for Win/Mac/*nix platforms.

Cascades is very nice for UI elements, and I really hope they focus on providing shared libraries for a multitude of compilers. GCC being top priority.

Penned via Tapatalk.
    It depends on who you're talking to.

Adobe Air isn't the best platform, agreed, but many, many apps have already been published for the Playbook that use it.

Are you suggesting that those developers shouldn't be given the opportunity to upgrade to the new platform? I can't imagine they'd be happy to hear that.
    06-16-12 12:20 AM
    I'm pretty sure there are emulators for Mac/Linux

The native SDK uses qcc, which is basically just gcc for qnx. What more are you wanting? Different C(++) compilers (if so, why)? Different languages? We're getting rid of Java, and disagree if you want, but I think it's a good move.

I don't think VS is possible, although that would be pretty awesome. It's pretty complicated using different compilers with VS, if you ask anybody trying to develop Android apps with it. Although I believe it's easier using makefiles with VS10.
    06-16-12 12:39 AM
    Writing apps for BB10 should be quite lucratinve from the get go. RIM sells its apps via the App store and therefore ensures a revenue stream for its developers. The biggest market for phone apps is, of course, Android where many of the apps are free and not all come via Google.

I have heard it said that today BlackBerry apps are second only to Apple in profitability. This should continue with BB10. I hope so.

RIM still needs to do more, imo.

1). It needs to have far more quality control on its App Store products. Aplle does this well (a bit too well with its moral stance, imo)

2). a "very nice to have" tool would be an Android and perhaps iPhone cross compiler. Using this a developer could take theor sources for Android and recompile them as BB10 apps. If this could be done for the iPhone as well, then with little extra effort, RIM will have a large number of extra apps available and devs will have a second revenu stream with little incremental work.

Clearly not all programs can be cross compiled and many more will need code changes BUT, if RIM supply the tool and the libraries, then it should do the job.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-16-12 04:37 AM
    The biggest let down for me is VMPlayer. It's trash.
    06-16-12 05:24 AM

Pretty much sums it up
    06-16-12 05:25 AM

Penned via Tapatalk.
    Then, go there : https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/ .
    After #BB10jam, it was clear to me : Webworks/BBui is the proper tool for me.
    ... and ... I'm codin' ;-)
    06-16-12 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD