Hello! I currently own a bb 9900. Long story short, for the last 3 or 4 months I've been experiencing lots of problems. From losing all my bbm contacts (2.000), to having to wipe and install OS every 2 or 3 weeks (because some, different, error appears). So, I am thinking in selling this 9900 and buy a new cellphone. Not sure if I want to deal with another bb 9900... so that's why I'm asking for advice here. Besides, I know couple of friends who owns 9900 and almost everyone of them had problems and even had to buy a new 9900 (even when they didn't use their 9900 for a year!).

My first option would be 9780... what do you think? Does it work properly? Do you know if it's a device with several OS/memory/etc problems like the 9900?
    I reeally NEED a qwerty phone and don't like slider ones. So,... options are 9780, 9790 or just wait for X10 (the ugliest bold I've ever seen :S)

Any piece of advice is welcome.
    01-28-13 08:21 PM
    If you want reliability, your best bet is to wait for the X10. BB10 should be significantly more reliable than the old BBOS. Having said that, have you tried updating your 9900 to the latest OS? I haven't had much reliability issues with my 9810, but I've always made sure to keep the OS up-to-date.
    01-28-13 08:26 PM
    Your bbm contacts are up using your bbid so that shouldn't happen technically. But what errors are/were you getting? Was it from a particular app? I've had my phone for over a year and nothing like that has been happening. 9780 is good. Its the same size as the 9700 which I had and had no problems with that one either.
    01-28-13 08:26 PM
    Z10 or X10 i would get a Z10 personally.
    01-28-13 08:27 PM
    I've had the 9780 since T-mo launched it two or three years ago. ITS ROCK SOLID.

I have had very few issues and am in no hurry to upgrade to "10" although I will upgrade eventually.

For now, i love my 9780. I am a heavy business user and i pound the keyboard like a maniac all week. IT'S A WORKING MACHINE.
    01-28-13 08:38 PM
    Only you can decide what device you what. With that being said, I would still like to add the bb10 devices are much more advanced by any standard.
    01-28-13 08:39 PM
    If you want reliability, your best bet is to wait for the X10. BB10 should be significantly more reliable than the old BBOS. Having said that, have you tried updating your 9900 to the latest OS? I haven't had much reliability issues with my 9810, but I've always made sure to keep the OS up-to-date.
    I'm not so sure about BB10. First, from experience (i've only own 1 bb, and that's my actual 9900) new devices have to update constantly... I want to go for the SAFEST choice. I'm not willing to deal with updatin OS, wiping, etc. BELIEVE ME I went from os 7 to 7.1 (more than 15 'versions' of 7.1, from different companies) and still each one gave me trouble.

Your bbm contacts are up using your bbid so that shouldn't happen technically. But what errors are/were you getting? Was it from a particular app? I've had my phone for over a year and nothing like that has been happening. 9780 is good. Its the same size as the 9700 which I had and had no problems with that one either.
    From nuckin/bricking/ to losing my info, to experience errors in the on-board memory (which I had to wipe, because couldn't be repaired) to the most recent problem (happened yesterday) login with BBID and havin NO BBM CONTACTS! I had to restore a backup from NOVEMBER! (that for me, were at least 500 contacts lost... and I work as a PR, so a BIG pain in the...)

I've had the 9780 since T-mo launched it two or three years ago. ITS ROCK SOLID.

I have had very few issues and am in no hurry to upgrade to "10" although I will upgrade eventually.

For now, i love my 9780. I am a heavy business user and i pound the keyboard like a maniac all week. IT'S A WORKING MACHINE.
    That's what I think of it! that's why it's my primary choice right now.

Only you can decide what device you what. With that being said, I would still like to add the bb10 devices are much more advanced by any standard.
    I won't say I'm not attracted to Z10 and X10... BUT since I live in Argentina... it's complicated to get one for couple of reasons. I would need to be factory unlocked (neverlocked) and I heard that's not legal any more in the USA? Also, the price it's going to be insanely high here. And there are no official suport here (last time I spent 100u$d to send my 9900 to miami and came back with problems..).

So that's why I want and need a safe choice.
    01-28-13 08:58 PM
    I think your 9900 issues are isolated and maybe device specific due to a manufacturing defect.

Mine works great, I have almost literally trusted my life with it while in some VERY risky places in this world in the last year

you shouldnt lose your bbm contacts with bb id?
    01-28-13 09:16 PM
    I would need to be factory unlocked (neverlocked) and I heard that's not legal any more in the USA?
    You can still buy unlocked phones in the US. You just can't buy them cheap on a contract subsidy and get them unlocked in the US without the carrier's permission.
    01-28-13 09:42 PM
    I'm not so sure about BB10. First, from experience (i've only own 1 bb, and that's my actual 9900) new devices have to update constantly... I want to go for the SAFEST choice. I'm not willing to deal with updatin OS, wiping, etc. BELIEVE ME I went from os 7 to 7.1 (more than 15 'versions' of 7.1, from different companies) and still each one gave me trouble..
    But these are the reasons that the OS was delayed. Also we are talking about QNX over Java now. QNX should be much safer than Java, also the complete way the OS gets updated is going to be different.
    01-29-13 05:35 AM
    I think your 9900 issues are isolated and maybe device specific due to a manufacturing defect.
    Mine works great, I have almost literally trusted my life with it while in some VERY risky places in this world in the last year
    you shouldnt lose your bbm contacts with bb id?
    I shouln't... but I did lost them... There's NO LOGIC in changing the BBM6 to 7 so we don't have to do a backup, and then just your BB ID wipe your contacts for no reason! I don't know if there's a way to recover them.. is it? I mean like restore the BBID bbm contacts

The thing is that almost 1st year worked perfectly. Then just fell apart. I lose count of how many times I had to wipe (losing everything, mostly my precious bbm contacts) install a new OS, etc.

You can still buy unlocked phones in the US. You just can't buy them cheap on a contract subsidy and get them unlocked in the US without the carrier's permission.
    Oh, I see!

But these are the reasons that the OS was delayed. Also we are talking about QNX over Java now. QNX should be much safer than Java, also the complete way the OS gets updated is going to be different.
    Hope it is... X10 will be as well lunching/selling on 30th JAN? Do you know if only contract mobiles will be available from 30th jan (tomorrow) or if factory phones will as well?
    01-29-13 06:58 AM
    Hope it is... X10 will be as well lunching/selling on 30th JAN? Do you know if only contract mobiles will be available from 30th jan (tomorrow) or if factory phones will as well?
    Hard to say. Heins always said that they would be marketed together, but the physical keyboard could be about 3 weeks behind. We'll know for sure in less than 24 hours
    01-29-13 12:19 PM