So, before I get flamed - yes I know that there is a lot of info on these devices out there and I have read much of it. I'm looking for advice from those that have actually had their hands on these units... Also, this will be my first BB, so please bear that in mind.

Onyx, or Storm 2?

I've been waiting since last year for Rogers to release a Storm (the rumoured 9520) - which doesn't look like coming anymore (ever since WES I guess). The reason that I wanted a Storm was mostly cosmetic - I'm not struck by the Bold, which seems a little wide to be pocketable. I wanted a larger screen for GPS usage (I don't use it a lot, but when I do it's worth its weight in gold). I also want 3g for voice+data capability and for tethering. I was also interested in a larger screen for viewing movies when I'm stuck at airports. Again, not an essential thing, but a nice to have.

Anyway, since I've been waiting forever I'm ok waiting some more. Which should I go with? I'm not under contract right now, and the phone will be bought by my company (so cost and provider are non-issues). I'm in Canada but travel frequently to the US (I have an AT&T sim that I currently use when I'm there).

I know that both units are said to be good and I'm sure that in the end I would be happy with either. However...

Do you think that the screen on the Onyx is big enough for my desired uses (movies, GPS etc)?
    Which one is likely to hit first (I may have been waiting, but I'm not a masochist)
    Which of them would you choose if you could have only one, and why?

I know that it's a little 'horses for courses'. Some people need a physical keyboard, some are ok with a soft keyboard. For me, so long as it's functional I can deal with either.

P.S. apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum....
    Last edited by Robot_Goundhog; 07-09-09 at 01:00 PM. Reason: wrong area?
    07-09-09 12:58 PM
    well im getting the storm in a day so ill some back to this and tell you how i like it but its from verizon so idk how it will be for you.....what phone do you have now?...and GOOD LUCK
    07-13-09 01:33 PM
    The storm is terrible! get the Tour :-)
    07-13-09 01:36 PM
    So, before I get flamed - yes I know that there is a lot of info on these devices out there and I have read much of it. I'm looking for advice from those that have actually had their hands on these units... Also, this will be my first BB, so please bear that in mind.

Onyx, or Storm 2?

I've been waiting since last year for Rogers to release a Storm (the rumoured 9520) - which doesn't look like coming anymore (ever since WES I guess). The reason that I wanted a Storm was mostly cosmetic - I'm not struck by the Bold, which seems a little wide to be pocketable. I wanted a larger screen for GPS usage (I don't use it a lot, but when I do it's worth its weight in gold). I also want 3g for voice+data capability and for tethering. I was also interested in a larger screen for viewing movies when I'm stuck at airports. Again, not an essential thing, but a nice to have.

Anyway, since I've been waiting forever I'm ok waiting some more. Which should I go with? I'm not under contract right now, and the phone will be bought by my company (so cost and provider are non-issues). I'm in Canada but travel frequently to the US (I have an AT&T sim that I currently use when I'm there).

I know that both units are said to be good and I'm sure that in the end I would be happy with either. However...

Do you think that the screen on the Onyx is big enough for my desired uses (movies, GPS etc)?
    Which one is likely to hit first (I may have been waiting, but I'm not a masochist)
    Which of them would you choose if you could have only one, and why?

I know that it's a little 'horses for courses'. Some people need a physical keyboard, some are ok with a soft keyboard. For me, so long as it's functional I can deal with either.

P.S. apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum....
    Its still coming. It was pushed off, and will take the form of the Storm 2 now.
    07-13-09 01:52 PM
    Its still coming. It was pushed off, and will take the form of the Storm 2 now.
    Thanks for the info Radio... I don't suppose that you know whether there will be a significant (>3 month) delay between the CDMA carrier launch and the GSM launch for this phone?

I suspect that's more of a carrier / commercial decision than a hardware thing.. but I figure I'll ask anyway
    07-13-09 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD