While listening to the last Upstream, one of the guys made a really interesting point about BlackBerry devices...

To sum it up, there hasn't been any consistency in the latest device names, which is really confusing for consumers. We've got the Leap, the Priv, the Passport, the Classic, and now the DTEK50 and 60. Unless you take the time to research the phones, or have sales rep adequately explain them to you (which we all know is NEVER the case when it comes to BlackBerry), it's kind of just a confusing mess. With the iPhone, everyone knows you've got the 5, then the 5s, then the 6, then the 6s, etc. With Samsung, you've got the Galaxy S5, S6, S7, etc. You've even got the the Oneplus, 2, 3, etc. When you go with this sort of naming structure, people know they're getting the phone they love and are comfortable with, but with updated specs.

I'm hoping that BlackBerry goes this route, as part of their new Android strategy. If the DTEK is going to be their flagship line of phones, they should continue with the 60, 70, 80 naming. I also think that the Mercury should be named the DTEK65 (then 75, 85, etc.). There has to be some consistency, to give people an upgrade to look forward to. Everyone who bought the DTEK50 should want to upgrade to the DTEK60, and in a year, when the DTEK70 comes out, they should be looking forward to upgrading to that.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-16 03:16 PM
    Spec wise the Mercury should be the DTEK55, according to what's being floated for the internals.
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-27-16 03:22 PM
    In a way they tried. The "Z" series meant all-touch, the 10 was followed by the 30. The "Q" series meant QWERTY 1:1 screen ratio, 5, 10, then 20/Classic. However, BlackBerry is handicapped by their willingness to support different form factors. The Passport is not really an updated Q series phone. It should have a different name. the Priv probably could have been called the Z40 but they naturally wanted to put some distance between it and the BB10 phones.

Apple and Samsung have been selling essentially the same products for some time so it is easy for them to use a linear naming convention.

The question is moot at this point as the Mercury (if it comes) will be the last BlackBerry. If any licensed phones are produced, I'm sure their owners will want to name them themselves.
    11-27-16 03:43 PM
    The question is moot at this point as the Mercury (if it comes) will be the last BlackBerry. If any licensed phones are produced, I'm sure their owners will want to name them themselves.
    Perhaps it should be called the Swan Song?
    11-27-16 04:38 PM
    Elevator to hell

Blackberry Passport and Blue Classic
    11-27-16 05:30 PM
    Spec wise the Mercury should be the DTEK55, according to what's being floated for the internals.
    Give me it with a Snapdragon 830 and 4/6 gb of ram and call it the Chenberry style 10 if you want, I Will buy it

Posted via CB10
    11-27-16 07:59 PM
    While listening to the last Upstream, one of the guys made a really interesting point about BlackBerry devices...

To sum it up, there hasn't been any consistency in the latest device names, which is really confusing for consumers. We've got the Leap, the Priv, the Passport, the Classic, and now the DTEK50 and 60. Unless you take the time to research the phones, or have sales rep adequately explain them to you (which we all know is NEVER the case when it comes to BlackBerry), it's kind of just a confusing mess. With the iPhone, everyone knows you've got the 5, then the 5s, then the 6, then the 6s, etc. With Samsung, you've got the Galaxy S5, S6, S7, etc. You've even got the the Oneplus, 2, 3, etc. When you go with this sort of naming structure, people know they're getting the phone they love and are comfortable with, but with updated specs.

I'm hoping that BlackBerry goes this route, as part of their new Android strategy. If the DTEK is going to be their flagship line of phones, they should continue with the 60, 70, 80 naming. I also think that the Mercury should be named the DTEK65 (then 75, 85, etc.). There has to be some consistency, to give people an upgrade to look forward to. Everyone who bought the DTEK50 should want to upgrade to the DTEK60, and in a year, when the DTEK70 comes out, they should be looking forward to upgrading to that.

Posted via CB10
    Just call it BlackBerry 1, 2, 3 and so on.. would be easier to be remembered. For extended version like Silver version of Passport: 1X, 2X,..

Posted through my  Z30
    11-27-16 10:57 PM
    OK, then, the SS55 and if it never comes, the BS55.
    11-28-16 04:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Chen migrated from the Q and Z series naming conventions and went to more buzz words like Leap, Classic and Passport. The Priv is also a part of the buzz names and was the first to introduce the DTEK app which is the magic app that helps keep your phone secure. The catchy names have dropped and the DTEK line has emerged which is a strategic name to emphasis the pragmatic security of the devices. The DTEK line seems to be what will carry over to the outsourced devices and I'm guessing be the new name of BlackBerry handsets co-branded with their manufacturer similar to the Nexus line.
    11-28-16 06:26 PM
    The DTEK naming is horrendous, please do not stick to it. But honestly I don't see many more phones coming out with the BBRY forked android.
    11-28-16 07:43 PM
    The DTEK naming is horrendous, please do not stick to it. But honestly I don't see many more phones coming out with the BBRY forked android.
    If they exit totally, I expect them to do by the big Door with a high end (even if leaks tell otherwise) Mercury, give it a Snap 835 and 6gb of ram and 128gb BlackBerry, exit the proper way, not with a pseudo-curve BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    11-28-16 07:49 PM
    Android with a real Hub would be nice though. Not a mix between Hub and notifications. And I'm totally agree. DTEK name is horrible, it sounds too technical.

Posted through my  Z30
    11-29-16 12:25 AM
    Everyone knows that a phone is worthless unless it's got the latest CPU and gigabyte upon gigabyte of RAM etc etc. [Insert Android fandomness]
    11-29-16 12:28 AM
    If you are unhappy with naming now - wait until we start seeing the licensed models.
    11-29-16 12:58 AM
    You are cruel! (and I'm still chuckling....)
    11-29-16 01:09 PM
    You are cruel! (and I'm still chuckling....)
    Glad to amuse. You seem less stuffy than that other character F2 that used to hang around here.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-29-16 05:07 PM
    There is some consistency... all the recent names are only four characters long. LEAP, PRIV, DTEK.

I assume that's part of Chen's overall cost-cutting initiatives, saving money on typesetting and ink in all the documentation and so on.
    11-29-16 05:20 PM
    Glad to amuse. You seem less stuffy than that other character F2 that used to hang around here.
    Leave me, Him, us alone!
    11-29-16 09:14 PM
    Why?

HTC has three (Desire x, 10, and One). LG is bloody crazy with multiple single-letter model names. Samsung is crazy too. There's the ones we all know, the Galaxy Sx, Edge x, Note x, but there's also Ax and Ex lines and additional product lines for other markets.

I think BlackBerry's naming scheme is better, to be honest. The Passport is not a Q-series phone and bears no similarities to the other Q's except for software, so it shouldn't be called a Qx and isn't. It's the size and shape of a typical passport, so it's called a Passport. It's easy to remember as "that big pkb phone that BlackBerry made."

Similarly the Priv is dissimilar to anything previous from BlackBerry, so it should and does have its own name. If an updated Priv was planned it might be called Priv X or something, but that'll never happen.

Assuming Mercury actually happens, it'll be the first, last, and only one of its kind so it doesn't much matter what the name is.
    11-29-16 09:18 PM
    There is some consistency... all the recent names are only four characters long. LEAP, PRIV, DTEK.

I assume that's part of Chen's overall cost-cutting initiatives, saving money on typesetting and ink in all the documentation and so on.
    Yes bring back the BOLD for the last in house designed phone.
    12-04-16 12:19 PM