I believe that when people purchase things, part of the motivation that goes into their choices are expressions of individuality. For example, choice of vehicle can say if someone values functionality (like with a bare bones simple hatchback) or prestige and what people thing about them (like a luxury vehicle). Car colour choice also says something about the driver.

Similarly then, one's choice of smartphone should be no exception to this trend. BlackBerry seems like the choice for those who need (pardon the clich�) a tool and not a toy. And even within the BlackBerry brand itself, one can go on to break it down even further by saying that the Classic and the Passport, for example, each represent different lifestyles.

So what does your device say about you? I'm using a Classic right now. I wanted a device that allows me to be an effective and efficient communicator, while at the same time, I didn't want a device that encouraged me to be glued to social media and other time-wasting activities.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze and skstrials like this.
    12-31-15 07:56 AM
    I believe that when people purchase things, part of the motivation that goes into their choices are expressions of individuality. For example, choice of vehicle can say if someone values functionality (like with a bare bones simple hatchback) or prestige and what people thing about them (like a luxury vehicle). Car colour choice also says something about the driver.

Similarly then, one's choice of smartphone should be no exception to this trend. BlackBerry seems like the choice for those who need (pardon the clich�) a tool and not a toy. And even within the BlackBerry brand itself, one can go on to break it down even further by saying that the Classic and the Passport, for example, each represent different lifestyles.

So what does your device say about you? I'm using a Classic right now. I wanted a device that allows me to be an effective and efficient communicator, while at the same time, I didn't want a device that encouraged me to be glued to social media and other time-wasting activities.

Posted via CB10
    That marketing didn't work, "tools not toys", is not only a cliche it is far from reality. I would say that in my experience with iOS, Android and Blackberry that as much as I try to use the PKB I'm always frustrated by the lack of productivity apps in BB. So I find BB to be much more of a toy due to the lack of apps. And by the way I have an iPhone 6 as my main work phone, a Nexus 6 for a personal account and a Passport for a special project I am trying at work. At one time I had a personal BB and a work one at the same time (different carriers) and have been using RIM devices since before they were phones. I just think they lost out to the competition.
    12-31-15 08:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    This "tool not toy" delusion needs to stop. Take a look at the mobile landscape. More and more, individuals, business and even governments are overwhelmingly buying and using the "toys" over the "tools."

I tell people simply to buy the phone that suits their needs, or just simply buy the phone that their friends are using.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, outlooker, Witmen and 1 others like this.
    12-31-15 08:44 AM
    I seriously believe there is a collective wince in Waterloo every time someone reuses that unfortunate phrase.
    Smply_Rckless and shaleem like this.
    12-31-15 09:52 AM
    This hasn't worked for Blackberry. You cannot read someone by looking at their clothing or smartphone. We change moods, likes and dislikes, age, etc.
    shaleem likes this.
    12-31-15 10:27 AM
    Geez, another one of these. My best friend is a Cardio Thoracic Surgeon and he uses an iPhone. I guess he wanted a toy and doesn't need to effectively communicate with people.

And if Blackberry users require tools not toys, then please explain this, because someone isn't being productive with their Blackberry:

Device choice as a personal statement-screen-shot-2015-12-31-11.35.55-am.jpg
    12-31-15 10:37 AM
    Over the last 5 years I've owned 1) two Android smartphones, 2) three Windows Phone smartphones (1 WP7, 2 WP8), 3) two webOS smartphones, 4) three iOS smartphones, and 5) two RIM/Blackberry smartphones (1 BB7, 1 BB10). This doesn't even include the desktops/laptops and tablets I've owned in the same period. I guess my personal statement is I'm willing to try many OS platforms and don't like to be a fanboy of any one platform unless I really, really like a particular OS.
    12-31-15 10:42 AM
    I agree with the sentiment that purchasing choices are an expression of individuality, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are a window into a person's soul. This is because our choices are complex and the thing is never a perfect result to that complexity, only a best fit that figures into hundreds of other choices that may not be related. My reasons for choosing Blackberry may be different from yours.
    Tatwi and anon(9188202) like this.
    12-31-15 10:45 AM
    I think you could make some generalizations about who is more likely to use a BlackBerry.

Older demographic.
    More men than women.
    Probably consume less media.
    Had a BlackBerry work phone.
    Text centric use predominates.
    Not used as part of a streaming eco system.
    Afraid of typing on glass.
    Contrarian by nature (Individualistic ).
    Do not desire a large phone.
    Not into social apps.
    Use a real camera in most circumstances.
    12-31-15 12:05 PM
    I get a phone that works well for me.
    The way i set it out is how i make my personal statement.
    My homescreen is completely minimal, with 2 widgets. A swipe up shows me my agenda for the day. A swipe to the right shows me my To Dos and notes. My main apps are on my dock, swipe left to get to all apps. This allows me to access most of my apps really easily.
    I have gestures to access my contacts and favourite apps from anywhere (on homescreeen, or while in a full screen app).
    This setup is my personal statement on my device. The device itself is a tool for it though and not part of the statement. If it wasnt for the camera, it could have been any other device quite easily
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-31-15 12:17 PM
    No the only factors that go into my device choice is what device is best suited for my needs. I don't suffer from insecurities that would dictate what I buy - car, clothes, house or phone. If you let others opinions control your life then what phone you buy is the least of your problems.

I sometimes do way too much analysts and research when doing a purchase, but one factor that does not even cross my mind is what others might think of my purchase.

I do personalize my device. I use Nova Prime to configure my phone to meet my specific needs. Same for the calendar app and calendar page widget I use. I add widgets I need to help my phone function better for my needs. Not to show off to others. I have no idea what others might think of how I have set up my phone and don't care. Works great for me.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 12-31-15 at 03:34 PM.
    12-31-15 03:23 PM
    I think if the OP would have left one sentence out of his post, this would have probably been a much different thread.

That being said. I use a Classic. I don't know if it says anything about me, but I know it does what I need it to do. It is quite possibly the best business phone I have ever used. Everyone has different needs for their phone.

I know I am different and stand out for having a BlackBerry. Good or bad, I honestly couldn't care less.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-31-15 05:27 PM
    I agree with the sentiment that purchasing choices are an expression of individuality, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are a window into a person's soul. This is because our choices are complex and the thing is never a perfect result to that complexity, only a best fit that figures into hundreds of other choices that may not be related. My reasons for choosing Blackberry may be different from yours.
    Fair point indeed. Price, availability, and store recommendations likely play a large role in people's phone choices. Given that the majority of mobile users are on Android devices, I would imagine that these types of practical matters are more important to people than thoughts of self expression. Androids are often cheap, if not free, yet quite capable, all while looking and feeling decent.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-31-15 06:21 PM
    I think you could make some generalizations about who is more likely to use a BlackBerry.

Older demographic.
    More men than women.
    Probably consume less media.
    Had a BlackBerry work phone.
    Text centric use predominates.
    Not used as part of a streaming eco system.
    Afraid of typing on glass.
    Contrarian by nature (Individualistic ).
    Do not desire a large phone.
    Not into social apps.
    Use a real camera in most circumstances.
    You would be almost entirely correct.

Fearlessly typed on glass via a relatively large z30.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    01-01-16 11:12 PM
    ^^ I too agree with the previous post. A majority of the conditions apply to me

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789
    01-01-16 11:21 PM
    Kinda is...

:-)

So why is everyone buying or wanting the same phone then..?
    Fit in or be individual. Either way you're kinda making a statement.

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    01-02-16 12:08 AM
    Geez, another one of these. My best friend is a Cardio Thoracic Surgeon and he uses an iPhone. I guess he wanted a toy and doesn't need to effectively communicate with people.

And if Blackberry users require tools not toys, then please explain this, because someone isn't being productive with their Blackberry:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 11.35.55 AM.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	386197
    Have you EVER used and iPhone to send email attachments? If you have you will KNOW what a tedious task it is and that includes their latest iPhone 6S that I also currently own. Productivity means different things to many people.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 07:56 AM
    Have you EVER used and iPhone to send email attachments? If you have you will KNOW what a tedious task it is and that includes their latest iPhone 6S that I also currently own. Productivity means different things to many people.

Posted via CB10
    All the time. I didn't realize how difficult it was until I read it here.
    paulbbp and solitude1984 like this.
    01-02-16 08:18 AM
    It's similar to the impervious task of finding apps.
    01-02-16 08:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sure I have. I don't find it tedious at all. You click add attachment then pick the cloud source or file system you want to send it from.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the top apps in BBWorld being games and social media though.
    paulbbp likes this.
    01-02-16 08:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you that smartphone choice comes down to individual tastes or needs, but seriously..."Tools, not toys?" That phrase belongs in the same trash can as "iPhone killer." That phrase made some sense when iOS and Android didn't have penetration in the Enterprise or have any focus on productivity. Things have changed. They've become tools AND toys. The major(and misguided) criticism of iOS and Android devices is that they're only for social media and games. If BB devices are only made to be tools, why are there games available for download to them? Because people don't want a tool 24-7, and someone at BlackBerry must've realized that. Also, it's not as if iOS, Android, or WP devices don't allow you to be productive. As a matter of fact, on a WP device, you have arguably the best mobile productivity suite there is: Microsoft Office. That suite is also available on Android and iOS. Android devices also have Google's suite of productivity apps. Then there's iOS. Not only do iOS users have access to Office and Google's suite, but Apple has their own iWork apps. Imagine that: three great sets of tools on those so-called toys.
    01-02-16 09:08 AM
    It's similar to the impervious task of finding apps.
    No, it's much more difficult. Plus we don't need apps.
    01-02-16 09:20 AM
    Don't know why, but the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I hear the "tools, not toys" debate is BBM Stickers. I always picture some frantic, highly-paid executive sending the CEO an urgent and highly-confidential message using Hello Kitty stickers.
    01-02-16 09:33 AM
    Don't know why, but the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I hear the "tools, not toys" debate is BBM Stickers. I always picture some frantic, highly-paid executive sending the CEO an urgent and highly-confidential message using Hello Kitty stickers.
    LOL. Probably happens too, in secret.
    01-02-16 09:46 AM
    It's a very slow process

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 12:03 PM
83 123 ...