Gamasutra: Thomas Henshell's Blog - Why I've Said Goodbye to Mobile in Favor of PC

Interesting read. I hope you folks find it as interesting as I did.

Kj

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 06:30 AM
    Thanks for that. Very enlightening indeed.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    08-24-14 07:08 AM
    Very cool read. Really shows you how difficult it is developing in mobile space

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    08-24-14 08:48 AM
    People at play are the most demanding public. It is way harder to create an entertaining game than a very good, non-game app.
    08-24-14 09:35 AM
    What he wrote goes beyond merely mobile gaming. Note that most of his problems came from the fact that he had to spent TONS of time, far more than he spend developing the actual app, to make his apps compatible with the various stores and their payment, advertising, and scoring systems, along with dealing with all of the hardware variations. This is exactly the reason why devs prefer FEWER platforms, and why few will ever bother developing for a 4th-Place platform that has 1% of the market - the development costs far exceed any profit potential.
    08-24-14 11:43 AM
    What he wrote goes beyond merely mobile gaming. Note that most of his problems came from the fact that he had to spent TONS of time, far more than he spend developing the actual app, to make his apps compatible with the various stores and their payment, advertising, and scoring systems, along with dealing with all of the hardware variations. This is exactly the reason why devs prefer FEWER platforms, and why few will ever bother developing for a 4th-Place platform that has 1% of the market - the development costs far exceed any profit potential.
    Again I disagree with your 1 % scenario. What would it take for them to develop for the one percent? Advertising revenue?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 03:38 PM
    Again I disagree with your 1 % scenario. What would it take for them to develop for the one percent? Advertising revenue?

Posted via CB10
    I know I would develop for the 1% . I love spending $20,000.00 to $40,000.00 for a return of $2,500.00, if that much. What developer would not?
    bakron1, Killjoyhere and mornhavon like this.
    08-24-14 05:43 PM
    I know I would develop for the 1% . I love spending $20,000.00 to $40,000.00 for a return of $2,500.00, if that much. What developer would not?
    Thanks I look forward to your work

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 05:49 PM
    I don't play mobile games. It's like going back to the 80's.......

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    08-24-14 08:49 PM
    Just pc.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 09:46 PM
    You don't develop for the 1 % you develop with a common ground ... that way you could release to iOS, Android, Windows phone 8 and BlackBerry 10... Unity makes that possible.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-24-14 10:07 PM
    You don't develop for the 1 % you develop with a common ground ... that way you could release to iOS, Android, Windows phone 8 and BlackBerry 10... Unity makes that possible.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    You should read the article. The guy explained very well the reasons why it is hard and costly to do that, even using a cross-platform app development SDK.

Firstly, there are the technical issues: every OS has its own way of managing the hardware components, the proceses & threads etc. - and you may encounter nasty surprises where there should have been any.

Secondly, you have the user experience issues: you have to replicate the same user experience on multiple platforms - various screen resolutions, processor speeds, user languages etc. A simple example: you may have a word of 3 letters in English, nicely displayed on a button vs. its 10 letter equivalent in German which will be displayed on two rows, ruining your carefully planned design.

The small dimensions of the mobile devices screens add to these difficulties.

So yeah, the guy knows what he is talking about.
    08-25-14 03:27 AM
    Thanks I look forward to your work

Posted via CB10
    You would be waiting for a very long time as i would not waste time and or resources programming for a % of a % market share.
    08-26-14 06:12 PM
    You would be waiting for a very long time as i would not waste time and or resources programming for a % of a % market share.
    They may find an alternative, that would be to build these functions into the OS, therefore doing away with many apps and the need for third party applications, don't think it's an impossibility.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 06:37 PM
    thanks OP that is a very insightful article about cross platform app development and that programming a playable or usable app is only part of the battle A snippet about BB in there:

I had a playable alpha of Catch the Monkey in six weeks. It took us another eleven months to complete. Why? Because the publisher wanted so many different versions of the game. It’s a 2D sprite-based game with thousands of frames of animation. When we were required to create a Blackberry Playbook version (if you actually remember what it was!) we didn't have to deal only with a different screen size, it was a totally different aspect ratio. And Video RAM is handled differently on the various operating systems. Then there was Kindle Fire, then Nook, then Android phone with its 14 different kinds of resolutions. Then there was Android’s new requirement that a game package can’t exceed 50 Mb, and ours was 70 Mb. Marmalade’s framework didn’t support the Google OBB file streaming, neither did Nook because they had their own store. So I had to write my own http file streaming processor that would work on all these various platforms. The one thing iOS has going for it is a very tightly controlled OS/Hardware environment. Once you leave that, it’s a total gong show! But all of the non-iOS builds is where Marmalade really shines, and so their motivation was to get Catch the Monkey on as many different devices as they could. And hey, they weren’t the ones late at night fighting with a C++ memory leak, so why not!
    08-26-14 07:15 PM
    You should read the article. The guy explained very well the reasons why it is hard and costly to do that, even using a cross-platform app development SDK.

Firstly, there are the technical issues: every OS has its own way of managing the hardware components, the proceses & threads etc. - and you may encounter nasty surprises where there should have been any.

Secondly, you have the user experience issues: you have to replicate the same user experience on multiple platforms - various screen resolutions, processor speeds, user languages etc. A simple example: you may have a word of 3 letters in English, nicely displayed on a button vs. its 10 letter equivalent in German which will be displayed on two rows, ruining your carefully planned design.

The small dimensions of the mobile devices screens add to these difficulties.

So yeah, the guy knows what he is talking about.
    My next gaming app is coming in Unity. It takes less than an hr to change from iOS to Google Play. BB10 max 1 week

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    08-26-14 10:34 PM
    Wish you good luck on it. Let us know how unity works when you are more familiar with it.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 07:39 PM
    My next gaming app is coming in Unity. It takes less than an hr to change from iOS to Google Play. BB10 max 1 week

Dev of AutoCrop Scanner
    By one week do you mean 40 development hours? That would seem to be a large chunk of change if you were a dev starting on IOS/Android and were considering whether its worth it to add BB or use those hours to refine your apps/add more features for the larger markets.
    08-27-14 08:08 PM