Getting exposure in Apple’s (AAPL) iOS App Store and Google’s (GOOG) Google Play market can be daunting at best. Developers must compete for exposure with hundreds of thousands of other apps, and viral success or a big marketing budget is almost a requirement at this point if an app is to see any real success. Research In Motion (RIMM) on Tuesday presented another option, however: Develop for BlackBerry.

In a post on RIM’s official blog, Milena Hewitt details the success found by mobile developer Pinelake Communications, which recently decided to see how hard it would be to port its Android game “Cubifice” over to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and RIM’s BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device. According to Pinelake Creative Director Bill Larocque and developer Dave Wagler, the process took just one hour.

That’s good news for RIM of course, because encouraging developers to bring apps over from other platforms is crucial to the company’s success with its next-generation BlackBerry 10 platform. Ensuring that this process is quick and relatively simple certainly won’t hurt RIM’s odds.

Beyond the process of porting apps, however, Pinelake notes that it has seen much more interest from users with its PlayBook app than it ever saw on Android.

“The BlackBerry user community is very engaged, and there is far greater visibility of your application on the BlackBerry App World storefront than on other platforms,” Larocque told RIM in an interview. ”BlackBerry App World has a clear layout and does not suffer from the over-saturation that you find somewhere like Google Play, where your app quickly feels lost in a huge sea of similar applications.”

He continued, “With this application, not only do we have 25 times more downloads on BlackBerry App World than on Google Play, but we’ve also been able to maintain that high number and visibility. This visibility translates into a far better return on investment once the app becomes monetized because we will have to spend far less on marketing the application to users.”
    Tags: BlackBerry, playbook, RIM

Zach Epstein

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/07/blackb...success-story/
    Last edited by spike12; 08-07-12 at 02:27 PM.
    sleepngbear, OniBerry and hpjrt like this.
    08-07-12 01:16 PM
    Here is the post on the DevBlog
    PineLake Communications on Porting Cubifice to BlackBerry 10 ęBlackBerry Developer Blog

That is a great story to get out into the media (shocked that BGR posted it), and CB also needs to cover it. Lets hope that it shows up in the actual media, RIM really needs some positive news currently.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 08-07-12 at 01:29 PM.
    OniBerry and spike12 like this.
    08-07-12 01:19 PM
    This is absolutely great for those who are contemplating developing for BlackBerry. However, I do have one concern. The eventual goal of RIM is to have BlackBerry App World resemble, in terms of number of apps, Google Play and iTunes. RIM will lose the advantage of visibility App World currently offers developers when development picks up and developers are actively developing for the BlackBerry platform.

While this is a great advantage offered to devs now, RIM needs to think of a new strategy to attract developers as this one is prone to dwindle over time.
    08-07-12 01:34 PM
    I really hope this attracts more Devs to port their apps !
    08-07-12 01:47 PM
    Having a high number of apps isnt necessarily a bad thing, it is all about how the choices are displayed to the consumers. Having a randomly generated list within each category would help visibility with even hundreds of thousands of apps, also having search results able to be filtered or at least sorted would help significantly.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    08-07-12 01:51 PM
    True it can dwindle over time, but it's a nice problem to have that can be addressed when that bridge is crossed.
    08-07-12 01:54 PM
    Sounds like a great time to be a dev for BlackBerry. Hopefully this lasts a little while and entices over some of those apps we have been missing over the years. Though they can keep Angry Birds IMO.
    08-07-12 02:02 PM
    This is absolutely great for those who are contemplating developing for BlackBerry. However, I do have one concern. The eventual goal of RIM is to have BlackBerry App World resemble, in terms of number of apps, Google Play and iTunes. RIM will lose the advantage of visibility App World currently offers developers when development picks up and developers are actively developing for the BlackBerry platform.

While this is a great advantage offered to devs now, RIM needs to think of a new strategy to attract developers as this one is prone to dwindle over time.
    Being realistic, it's likely to take a very long time before that becomes an issue, and frankly as problems go, that's not a bad one to have.

The real solution to that is for these ecosystems to do a better job of targeting users and presenting them with relevent choices. One thing I find bothersome is to keep getting promos for stuff I've already bought, so that would be the first optimization I'd like to see them adopt.

Otherwise, I'd like to see a section that would let me enter preferences for the kinds of apps/games I'd like to see, and ultimately the store could track my browsing and purchasing habits for even further refinement.
    FlashFlare11 and anon1727506 like this.
    08-07-12 02:30 PM
    Here is the post on the DevBlog
    PineLake Communications on Porting Cubifice to BlackBerry 10 ęBlackBerry Developer Blog

That is a great story to get out into the media (shocked that BGR posted it), and CB also needs to cover it. Lets hope that it shows up in the actual media, RIM really needs some positive news currently.
    Looks like it made the front page. Hopefully more stories like this will follow in the coming months.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkQvNAysbrk&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
    08-07-12 03:01 PM
    Being realistic, it's likely to take a very long time before that becomes an issue, and frankly as problems go, that's not a bad one to have.

The real solution to that is for these ecosystems to do a better job of targeting users and presenting them with relevent choices. One thing I find bothersome is to keep getting promos for stuff I've already bought, so that would be the first optimization I'd like to see them adopt.

Otherwise, I'd like to see a section that would let me enter preferences for the kinds of apps/games I'd like to see, and ultimately the store could track my browsing and purchasing habits for even further refinement.
    I agree with everything!

A personalized App World experience would be great! It would helps devs have their apps featured to their target audiences instead of uninterested users continually skipping over the apps they're not going to buy. A great idea, in my opinion!
    08-07-12 03:25 PM
    I REALLY hope RIM uses BBM with App world

I'd love to have a list of Apps my friends have downloaded within App world, and reviews written by my friends, now when downloading an app you could "don't share that I've downloaded this app" if you don't want your friends to know you've downloaded it,

but that would be a great screen inside app world

Top 5 apps downloaded by your friends this week
    Top 5 apps updated by your friends this week
    Read App reviews your friends have posted

And when you look at an App it says "X number of your BBM friends have this app"

that way you are promoting within the community as much as you are with external advertisements, Really good apps will get grow even faster, people will talk about apps
    08-07-12 03:50 PM
    I REALLY hope RIM uses BBM with App world...
    All excellent ideas. Hope their dev team sees this!
    08-07-12 04:00 PM
    I REALLY hope RIM uses BBM with App world

I'd love to have a list of Apps my friends have downloaded within App world, and reviews written by my friends,
    Until they inadvertently share that they downloaded "50 bedroom games for you and your lover"
    spike12 and randall2580 like this.
    08-07-12 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD