Last night, the NASDAQ announced that Facebook (FB) will replace Infosys (INFY) in the NASDAQ-100 index. This change will become effective next Tuesday, December 11, after market close. This is merely the first swap in what is an annual Index reconstitution tradition for the tech-heavy, IPO-error prone index: next Friday, December 14, the NASDAQ will announce the official full list of new entrants and exit-ants from the index, which will take place on December 21, which usually serves as a technical buying boost for the new members, while those companies kicked out see substantial selling pressure as index funds no longer have to own the names. Below we present an analysis by Deutsche Bank's Bo Huang who lists, in order of conviction the names most likely to benefit (additions), and be punished (removals), from the reconstitution.

The names likely most likely to benefit: Kraft Foods, Regeneron, Libery Media, Analog Devices, Catamaran and Equinix. On the other hand, those holding Netflix, Apollo Group, Warner Chilcott, Green Mountain Coffee, Electronic Arts, Flextronics, or the recent Lazarus, until a month ago left for dead, Research in Motion, may want to quietly sell their holdings. They will likely have a better re-entry point after next Friday's announcement and prompt reallocation.

From Deutsche:

This year, we anticipate 8 pairs of Additions to and Deletions from the NASDAQ-100 index.
    8 Additions: KRFT, REGN, LMCA, ADI, CTRX, EQIX, LBTYA, DISCA
    8 Deletions: APOL, WCRX, GMCR, EA, FLEX, RIMM, NFLX, MRVL
    Furthermore, we also present 3 pairs of possible, low conviction Additions and Deletions. As these Deletion companies are right on the boundaries of the NASDAQ-100 ranking methodology cut-offs, they could either remain in the index or be deleted and replaced.
    3 Low Conviction Additions: VRSK, SBAC, WDC
    3 Low Conviction Deletions: VRSN, LRCX, XRAY
    Please see Figures 1 and 2 within for our index impact estimates and more details.
    NASDAQ will announce the official changes next Friday, December 14 and implement them the following Friday, December 21. We will publish an official analysis following the announcement.
    12-05-12 03:07 PM
    Deutsche Bank......hmm weren't these the same idi0ts who kept buying American mortgage bonds when everyone and their donkey came to know they were junk. If it's all the same, I will not take any advice from these guys.
    sleepngbear, sugbo, bb624 and 5 others like this.
    12-05-12 03:18 PM
    Funny how the same group of people keep looking for negative articles about RIM/BlackBerry to post on CrackBerry.
    12-05-12 03:23 PM
    Funny how the same group of people keep looking for negative articles about RIM/BlackBerry to post on CrackBerry.
    Yeah, they are a real ray of sunshine here
    12-05-12 03:28 PM
    For those in the US you might want to rethink your criticisms in-light of the mortgage fraud committed by AIG, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, et al. The executives of these "investment" banks should have been charged with fraud and convicted in a court of law and had all their personal and corporate assets seized.
    00stryder, BB_Bmore, bb624 and 6 others like this.
    12-05-12 03:33 PM
    Deutsche Bank......hmm weren't these the same idi0ts who kept buying American mortgage bonds when everyone and their donkey came to know they were junk. If it's all the same, I will not take any advice from these guys.
    This isn't really Deutsche bank's opinion though. NASDAQ has a methodology (an algorithm) for maintaining the list, and they're just listing the stocks that match that methodology.
    12-05-12 03:37 PM
    You all COULD choose to ignore.
    homer1475 likes this.
    12-05-12 03:40 PM
    True, but as a mod you could do us a favour and close this one down before it goes downhill....the usual suspects seem to be crawling out of the woodwork already...
    12-05-12 03:47 PM
    As an investor I don't pick and choose which news I want to hear. The op offered some interesting observations. If you are an investor then ignore the post but if you are a trader you might want to take a closer look.
    12-05-12 04:34 PM
    The rule is pretty much the largest 100 nasdaq listed stocks by market cap. RIMs market cap has plummeted and after the next rebalance period RIM may be excluded. It is important to know this because people who own mutual funds or ETF that mimic the Nasdaq 100 will effectively be selling the stock if this happens.
    12-05-12 04:43 PM
    According to some studies I've read, the deletion of a stock from an index has no long term effect on its share price. There is usually a noticeable drop in price from between the announcement date and the effective date. However, this is typically offset by a similar increase in price soon after the effective date.

If this prediction comes true, it may offer a short-term trading opportunity, although the December 20th earnings announcement may make things particularly volatile as well.
    12-05-12 04:49 PM
    Here's one of the studies - http://www.finance.pamplin.vt.edu/ne...ceresponse.pdf

It deals with the S&P 500, but I'd assume the effect for other indexes would be similar.

Their conclusion:
    "In this paper, consistent with prior work, we find a permanent price increase for firms added to the S&P 500 index. On the other hand, we find that firms deleted from the index do not experience a permanent negative price effect. Initially, the firms deleted from the index lose value, but that loss is recouped in the three months following the deletion. The absence of a permanent price effect for deletions is robust to different methods of computing excess returns."
    12-05-12 04:53 PM
    I posted the article because I know there are people who trade a lot of RIMM and I thought it may be a good long term buy or short term sell. Not because I "went looking" for something bad to say. Paranoid much. It's all a big conspiracy right?

I thought it could be appealing because i would expect a considerable increase after 10 is released. That a positive thought. Ridiculous that everyone assumes the worst.
    12-05-12 05:01 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was delisted. I'm a shareholder, and obviously I would rather it not be delisted...but in reality, the stock has plummeted from it's glory days to what it is at now. Maybe one day in the future it will get relisted but I'm not going to be surprised if it is removed.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-05-12 05:14 PM
    That would make me a Moderator I think! I kid, I kid! Too soft of a pitch thrown and my sarcastic side wouldn't let me pass.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-05-12 07:10 PM
    When New York traders tried to take down Fairfax Financial, Prem Watsa fought back, sued, and delisted from NY, so he would have to deal with all BS that goes on there.
    bungaboy and anon(4018671) like this.
    12-06-12 06:51 AM
    I posted the article because I know there are people who trade a lot of RIMM and I thought it may be a good long term buy or short term sell. Not because I "went looking" for something bad to say. Paranoid much. It's all a big conspiracy right?

I thought it could be appealing because i would expect a considerable increase after 10 is released. That a positive thought. Ridiculous that everyone assumes the worst.
    Without stating why you posted the article its easy to see why it would appear you were dumping on BB.
    Anyway its a big deal but perhaps no real effect. Based on market cap the index lists the largest 100 NASDAQ listed companies. NASDAQ takes into account fluctuating market conditions when making these decisions however it is reasonable to expect time for RIMM to bounce back tomorrow. I don't see a big problem, index options are being sold by Funds and (some) investment banks seem likely to buy. If BB continues to manage expectations well, the share price should reflect that - hopefully in the upward direction!
    12-06-12 07:22 AM
    As an investor I don't pick and choose which news I want to hear.
    As a matter of principle I don't pick and choose which news I want to hear.

Guarding against confirmation bias is a challenge for everyone. But the desire of some to filter out information or opinions that they disagree with - that's the path to cultdom.
    12-06-12 07:25 AM
    When New York traders tried to take down Fairfax Financial, Prem Watsa fought back, sued, and delisted from NY, so he would have to deal with all BS that goes on there.
    Prem Watsa also didn't get sucked into the sub-prime mortgage scam - a lot of respect for him there. RIMs comeback could very well take years and its reasonable to expect that however they don't NEED to be listed on the NASDAQ 100 for that to happen sooner.
    12-06-12 07:41 AM
    kindly note how everyone that was up in arms over wanting a netflix app have nothing to say on them possibly dropping from the 100.

People are at least talking about RIM which means they still care, however nobody seems to be talking about netflix. says it all for me.
    12-06-12 07:46 AM
    Seems there are a lot of skinned skinned users out there.,... it is a case of look at the source in general... Whenever you see anything put out by a financial outfit.... it tends to be very self serving..... As it is a prediction,.,,, why do people get so upset by it.... Remember to look outside as if you beliieve in the Dec 21 end of the world crowd... we should be able to see the planet Nirubu heading our way to collide with us.... If RIM is delisted, that is the time to put energy into this convesation.... all these threads do is perpetuate the death of RIM.... so why bother give it energy.....
    12-06-12 07:49 AM
    For those in the US you might want to rethink your criticisms in-light of the mortgage fraud committed by AIG, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, et al. The executives of these "investment" banks should have been charged with fraud and convicted in a court of law and had all their personal and corporate assets seized.
    Darn right!
    12-06-12 07:55 AM
    True, but as a mod you could do us a favour and close this one down before it goes downhill....the usual suspects seem to be crawling out of the woodwork already...

As long as you guys can discuss it civilly, I see no reason to close the thread. Like I said you ARE free to ignore it.

The undeniable truth is that RIM or (RIMM if you will) is hurting right now, and stuff like this will happen, and it will get reported. We can discuss these things, we SHOULD discuss these things! But we need to be reasonable with each other and have some class, and follow the CrackBerry.com rules. They do NOT say you can't disagree, just don't be disagreeable when you do it.

And hopefully (and I believe it will) the release of BB10 will be the start of a big turn around at RIM.
    12-06-12 09:08 AM
    Along with: Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Wachovia, JPM/Chase, Goldman Sach. Lehman Brothers, Bear Sterns, Suntrust, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, BB & T, etc....
    12-06-12 11:51 AM
    and so since all the smart players are aware of this, since it is a standard procedure, you may have a sell the rumor and buy the news situation....who knows really...
    12-06-12 11:59 AM
59 123