An article today argues that Dell has to re-invent itself and should move into mobile. To do so it should buy RIM before the likes of IBM or HP or Facebook or Microsoft do.
    The argument is here:

Dell Should Buy RIM or Die - TheStreet

Of all the possible partners for RIM, this is the first time I have heard Dell mentioned. Any fit?
    08-30-12 06:37 AM
    Of all the possible partners for RIM, this is the first time I have heard Dell mentioned. Any fit?
    Awful match IMO. RIM is better off doing their own thing than having the likes of Dell bringing them aboard and RIM sinking with the Dell ship. RIM has vision with BB10 and an acquisition by Dell would hinder or stifle that vision. Remember what HP did to Palm? I think it would be as bad as that or perhaps worse because if Dell did try to acquire RIM it seems that it would be out of desperation to survive and that's not a good formula.
    08-30-12 07:03 AM
    I saw that article earlier this morning, and all I could think of was HP and Palm, and how people thought that was a good match.

At this stage of BB10's development, I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to purchase RIM. BB10 is too far along for another entity to have any kind of beneficial influence on it, and its success is still too much of an unknown -- and therefore too much of a risk -- for anyone to take the chance on acquiring it. Once BB10 has had a chance to prove itself, then I can see potential suitors taking an interest.
    pantlesspenguin and hpjrt like this.
    08-30-12 08:41 AM
    IBM makes the most sense to me at this point in time.
    08-30-12 09:28 AM
    I saw that article earlier this morning, and all I could think of was HP and Palm, and how people thought that was a good match.

At this stage of BB10's development, I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to purchase RIM. BB10 is too far along for another entity to have any kind of beneficial influence on it, and its success is still too much of an unknown -- and therefore too much of a risk -- for anyone to take the chance on acquiring it. Once BB10 has had a chance to prove itself, then I can see potential suitors taking an interest.
    Don't think it is in any BlackBerry users interest - because I'm not sure if we would even see a BB10 device. But I can see where a number of organizations might find PARTS of RIM's business of GREAT interest.
    08-30-12 09:35 AM
    I'm not sure if we would even see a BB10 device.
    RIM is already showing the phones to Canadian carriers, looks like bb10 is going to happen.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-30-12 09:55 AM
    Dell can stay the away from my BlackBerry, thank you.
    08-30-12 10:42 AM
    Or should RIM buy Dell's mobile division and crank out BB10 handsets? Dell's phone and tablet department has always been a mess of poor launches and discontinuations. I had the Dell Streak, which was a fantastic device, very top of the line when it was launched. I could see them making a decent BB10 device.

But RIM is doing this on their own, they don't need to be bought out, and I think they have a brighter future at this point than Dell in mobility.
    08-30-12 11:27 AM
    The author seems to assume RIM may get bought out by another company, raising that as one of his or her arguments for Dell acquiring RIM before someone else does. It's a flawed article.
    08-30-12 11:39 AM
    Definitely don't want any part of that. We lost WebOS to an incompetent Hardware company, lets not lose BlackBerry OS 10 as well.
    08-30-12 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD