Both going private about the same time. If dell were to get into the handset market, BlackBerry would seem a good fit for them. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 08:04 AM
    Both going private about the same time. If dell were to get into the handset market, BlackBerry would seem a good fit for them. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    I pray not as I deal with Dell at the office and they are they "WORST" to deal with. Pass the buck, unresponsive, make you repeat documentation over and over again.. make you want to slit your wrists (figuratively), worst.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    09-13-13 08:15 AM
    09-13-13 12:46 PM
    I pray not as I deal with Dell at the office and they are they "WORST" to deal with. Pass the buck, unresponsive, make you repeat documentation over and over again.. make you want to slit your wrists (figuratively), worst.
    Hmm, I just called Dell support last week. They were very prompt with getting the Latitude laptop fixed. The last couple of times I've had to call them, they've been very helpful. They even followed up with me after the field tech left to make sure I was ok with the service. I wouldn't be against the two getting together, but I can see from the post above that it's not going to happen.
    szlevi likes this.
    09-13-13 01:39 PM
    No, Dell makes horrible PC's I don't want them to ruin BlackBerry's name further.

Posted from my Red Zed
    09-13-13 02:43 PM
    Lol nope, but HP would be nice. Provided they don't kill it off like their last phones...
    09-13-13 02:53 PM
    Not sure where you are but over here in the US I pray they do buy BB because Dell Enterprise Support is very easy to deal with and with ProSupport they even support 3rd party gear, not to mention their cool workstation and server gear.
    09-13-13 04:24 PM
    Lol nope, but HP would be nice. Provided they don't kill it off like their last phones...
    Hell NO, NOT HP - after Microsoft they are the WORST takeover candidate, I swear. HP mgmt do not ****in know what they are doing for YEARS now. Ever since those scumbag lawyers on the board pushed out Hurd this once venerable company is nothing but one giant cluster**** after another, it's really a ship adrift... I don't even know why anyone expected Whitman to clean up what that utterly clueless ***** Apotheker did - she is not much better at all, just another stupid MBA-type, let's admit it.
    09-13-13 04:31 PM
    No, Dell makes horrible PC's I don't want them to ruin BlackBerry's name further.

Posted from my Red Zed
    Classic clueless post - Dell workstations are probably the best for the price in the industry.
    09-13-13 04:32 PM
    Dell's expertise is in operational efficiency. They win by keeping their costs low. I'm not sure how they would benefit owning BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 05:03 PM
    Classic clueless post - Dell workstations are probably the best for the price in the industry.
    That's subjective. I find Lenovo a better value, better quality, and when I call they speak 'merican.
    09-13-13 05:13 PM
    Clueless post?
    I work in IT, Dell PC's are garbage.

Posted from my Red Zed
    09-13-13 05:17 PM
    Clueless post?

Posted from my Red Zed
    Wow, I'm very impressed...

<facepalm>

...you are the kind of applicant ("I work in IT, Dell PC's are garbage") I can smell from the resumes miles away and never call in for interview, not even for low-level technician jobs.
    09-13-13 05:38 PM
    Dell's expertise is in operational efficiency. They win by keeping their costs low. I'm not sure how they would benefit owning BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    By creating an integrated environment from server & storage to mobile for enterprises - I'm not saying it's worth it but I can certainly see the possibilities there (but also the giant price tag that it would cost to build.)
    09-13-13 05:40 PM
    I'd want to see a company with stronger technical leadership like Microsoft or Amazon.

Dell made great innovations in business model and supply chain, but what about actual technology innovation?
    09-13-13 05:44 PM
    I'd want to see a company with stronger technical leadership like Microsoft or Amazon.

Dell made great innovations in business model and supply chain, but what about actual technology innovation?
    No such animal when it comes to Dell. There has been no innovation (from ANY manufacturer) on the personal computer side of things since the Pentium and DVD burners.
    09-13-13 05:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    The title does say 'partnership'.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    09-13-13 06:02 PM
    That's subjective. I find Lenovo a better value, better quality, and when I call they speak 'merican.
    Do you know what a workstation means?
    Dell never had US Enterprise Support outside North America.

Sent from my Xperia T using CB Forums mobile app
    09-13-13 06:18 PM
    No such animal when it comes to Dell. There has been no innovation (from ANY manufacturer) on the personal computer side of things since the Pentium and DVD burners.
    It's not about personal computers only, there are small innovations everywhere eg it was a great thing when first Dell started shipping 2-way/4-way servers with new mainboard design that allowed all memory slots to be utilized even with a single CPU installed etc.
    Dell is a giant and they are changing, mostly through acquisitions - Equallogic still leads the iSCSI market I think - and some stuff that was too early (eg 5" phablet several years ago) made Dell more considerate about chasing personal computing successes.

Historically HP is the inventor, not Dell, of course but we know how far they are from their mighty engineering-led decades now...

Sent from my Xperia T using CB Forums mobile app
    09-13-13 06:26 PM
    I'm for one very happy dell is going private

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 07:48 PM
    Clueless post?

Posted from my Red Zed
    I concur. I don't work in IT but fixing computers is something I know how to do. I spend more time fixing the office Dell computers than I do on my actual job.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    09-13-13 07:54 PM
    Found this interesting:

9:05 PMRemember the Dell Streak? If not then we envy you since it was certainly one of the least inspiring flagship smartphones the world has ever seen. With this in mind, it’s good to hear that the now-private Dell has no plans to get back into the smartphone game anytime soon. In an interview with CNBC, Dell founder Michael Dell said that his company wouldn’t be making a new smartphone anytime soon and would only act as a reseller of other companies’ devices. Dell said that his company was taking a longer-term view with its investments and would focus much more on long-term growth instead of on quarterly numbers
    09-13-13 09:31 PM
    Wow, I'm very impressed...

...you are the kind of applicant ("I work in IT, Dell PC's are garbage") I can smell from the resumes miles away and never call in for interview, not even for low-level technician jobs.
    Low blow, do you know me?
    And thank God I'm not job hunting that I would have to apply for your job, eh boss?

I agree with you, when you said that Dell PC's are cheap, they may be a pretty good bang for your buck until the motherboard fails.
    Dell PC's are nice for the average consumer, but as the person who has to diagnose and fix them, they aren't very good.

Also, I repair them at my WORKPLACE, I don't go door to door asking people if they need help with their computer.

It's my opinion, everyone is entitled to one.

Posted from my Red Zed
    09-13-13 09:59 PM
    Low blow, do you know me?
    And thank God I'm not job hunting that I would have to apply for your job, eh boss?

I agree with you, when you said that Dell PC's are cheap, they may be a pretty good bang for your buck until the motherboard fails.
    Dell PC's are nice for the average consumer, but as the person who has to diagnose and fix them, they aren't very good.

Also, I repair them at my WORKPLACE, I don't go door to door asking people if they need help with their computer.

It's my opinion, everyone is entitled to one.

Posted from my Red Zed
    You clearly lack the understanding how things work, I won't bother explaining anything - FYI about a month ago I've seen a over half a dozen 10+ years old Dell desktops on Wall St I've put in place pre-9/11... they were not in use anymore but still running fine, even with all the dust inside (seemed like a weird decision, to keep 'em up but I didn't ask anything, they deal with a lot of sensitive contracts, I'm guessing they kept some stuff off their servers for a reason...?)
    As far as workstations go you don't even seem to understand the difference between a desktop and a workstation... what are you "fixing" on them? Under warranty it's replacing a part, there's nothing to "fix" per se.. or you are the dust busting guy?
    09-14-13 03:12 AM
    You clearly lack the understanding how things work, I won't bother explaining anything - FYI about a month ago I've seen a over half a dozen 10+ years old Dell desktops on Wall St I've put in place pre-9/11... they were not in use anymore but still running fine, even with all the dust inside (seemed like a weird decision, to keep 'em up but I didn't ask anything, they deal with a lot of sensitive contracts, I'm guessing they kept some stuff off their servers for a reason...?)
    As far as workstations go you don't even seem to understand the difference between a desktop and a workstation... what are you "fixing" on them? Under warranty it's replacing a part, there's nothing to "fix" per se.. or you are the dust busting guy?
    You must work for Dell, because anyone who has any intelligence in computers wouldn't be saying what you are.
    It's kind of funny, because the only thing it sounds like you are good at is mocking people, and you aren't very good at that either.
    I'm done with you, not because you "hurt my feelings", just because I'm the bigger man apparently.

Posted from my Red Zed
    m1a1mg and mkelley65 like this.
    09-14-13 05:52 AM
27 12