So I decided to start my gmail fresh. I deleted all my contacts as they were jumbled, unorganized, and most of them useless.

Anyways, apparantly they were linked to my BB somehow and now all of my contacts are gone on my BB! Im still new to this whole thing and am not sure how/why this happened? Any idea how I can fix it?

They are gone for good huh?
    12-21-09 02:15 PM
    It sounds like your phone was tied to your google account

if that is the case they are gone for good unless you back up'd using the desktop manager.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 02:30 PM
    Simple rule of data. If its important - make three back ups.

12-21-09 02:33 PM
    Simple rule of data. If its important - make three back ups.

Well, for future reference, what did I do to link my phone to my google acount? was this done by simply setting up my google account on my phone? Or was it when I downloaded the gmail app? Which I quickly deleted as I didnt like it.
    12-21-09 02:40 PM
    You must have downloaded Google Sync to your BlackBerry. This of course syncs your Gmail contacts, and calendar, with your BlackBerry. By default Google Sync syncs between your gmail account and BlackBerry automatically (i have mine set to manual so no accidental deletes again).

i have Google Sync and accidentally deleted all my calendar entries doing the exact same thing you did with your contacts.

Took me a bit to add them all back manually. However, i always have a somewhat recent backup of my BlackBerry data. Even though i don't have a computer and it's a hassle getting a backup, it's even more of a hassle losing all your info.

Keep a recent backup (i only do a backup once every two months) on a removable memory stick or memory card just in case.
    12-21-09 03:33 PM
    I also set my Google sync to manual. I only want to sync when I know that I
    have changed contact's info.

I made a Word document with my back up, so I can email it to myself and also
    save it on my work computer. My home computer is ready to die, so I'm not
    depending on it at all.
    12-21-09 03:42 PM
    Well, for future reference, what did I do to link my phone to my google acount? was this done by simply setting up my google account on my phone? Or was it when I downloaded the gmail app? Which I quickly deleted as I didnt like it.
    If you have the gmailplugin on your phone, which i know the 9700 does, that may of done it. and i know that on the 5.0 OS it will give you an option to do it via the manage email screen, in which you do not need the GS program for syncing contacts...

12-21-09 03:46 PM
    If you have the gmailplugin on your phone, which i know the 9700 does, that may of done it. and i know that on the 5.0 OS it will give you an option to do it via the manage email screen, in which you do not need the GS program for syncing contacts...

Hm, cant seem to find the manage email screen...
    12-21-09 03:55 PM
    You must have downloaded Google Sync to your BlackBerry. This of course syncs your Gmail contacts, and calendar, with your BlackBerry. By default Google Sync syncs between your gmail account and BlackBerry automatically (i have mine set to manual so no accidental deletes again).

i have Google Sync and accidentally deleted all my calendar entries doing the exact same thing you did with your contacts.

Took me a bit to add them all back manually. However, i always have a somewhat recent backup of my BlackBerry data. Even though i don't have a computer and it's a hassle getting a backup, it's even more of a hassle losing all your info.

Keep a recent backup (i only do a backup once every two months) on a removable memory stick or memory card just in case.
    Thanks for the good info! : )
    12-21-09 03:56 PM
    Somehow I deleted all of my gmail contacts through my blackberry. Still not sure how I did it, but I started to panic. But I did find that there is a restore in gmail contacts. If you go to the options within gmail contacts on your computer, it will let you restore your contacts for an infinite amount of time prior. Got all of my contacts back, and was able to sync them back to my phone.
    04-06-11 10:36 AM
    That's a new feature with gmail, and it's very handy!
    04-06-11 11:34 AM
    Yep I recently did the same when trying to fix duplicates

Restore FTW!
    04-06-11 01:28 PM
    Everything should have backup and restore options!
    04-06-11 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD