I'm curious how many Blackberry (or other phone users) have a "deal breaker" when deciding what phone to use. I'm not talking about provider, but is there one function, capability, or app that, if unavailable, would motivate you to change handsets?

As trivial as it might sound to those of you who use your phone for business purposes, my "deal breaker" is being able to listen to live MLB games. Don't get me wrong, I love my Blackberry and all of the features and functions but if MLB Gameday audio was no longer available on my Curve I would be looking for another handset. Wondering if anyone else has a #1 feature they would not be able to live without.
    09-04-09 09:24 AM
    Nothing like that for me. As long as I have phone, messaging, calendar and contacts, I'm good to go. The other stuff is fun and I do use many other apps, but the absence of any of those other apps would not make me put the Tour up for sale.

Edit - now that I think about it, vlingo is actually so important to my work since I'm in the car about 15 hours per week, that if I couldn't compose and reply to messages by voice, I would probably have to look elsewhere. Just too dangerous to type while driving. vlingo makes my life so much easier.
    09-04-09 09:37 AM
    I will not purchase any phone that does not support removable microSD cards and has a sealed battery. Therefore, the iPhone and Palm Pre were not even options for me.
    09-04-09 11:09 AM
    Instant email is the deal breaker for my business. I need to respond to price quotes fast or I might lose jobs. Even if my clients don't use email very often it's good to know it's there if I need it.
    A bit like driving an 4x4 car, you don't go off road but you could if you wanted to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 12:19 PM
    You know, I think for me it's the push e-mail as well. I never had it before, as this is my first smartphone, but I don't think I'd be happy if I were to not have it again. I occasionally use my BB for business, but not very often, and I've become quite accustomed to getting instant facebook alerts, e-mails from friends and family, etc. It's just a nice, convenient feature, and I don't think I'd be satisfied with a WinMo device that auto-checks my inbox every 15-20 minutes or whatever and then gives me my messages, I like the idea of having them right now. That's my 2 cents.
    09-04-09 01:49 PM
    Instant email is it for me as well. My business relies on my instant availability and my Tour grants me that.

09-04-09 04:25 PM
    Push email isn't exclusive to the bb anymore. Wmd and iphone have true msoft exchange integration and push.

09-04-09 05:28 PM
    Ah, but that's trough exchange and not available to the masses. No real alternative yet as far as I know.

09-04-09 05:33 PM
    My deal breaker is WiFi. I can't see myself ever buying another phone without it.
    09-04-09 06:23 PM
    The touchscreen was what did it for me =D
    09-07-09 11:14 PM
    The touchscreen was what did it for me =D
    that and the screen size
    09-07-09 11:54 PM
    I wouldn't get a smart phone without a removable SD card, removable battery, full hardware keyboard (after using a BB for only a few weeks I don't want to go back!), camera, GPS, reasonable screen size (eg. I was considering a Pearl but that would have been a smaller screen than even my previous "dumb" phone so I passed on it), blue tooth (I use it for syncing all the time).

ummmm there are probably lots of things that would cause me to pass on a phone but those are some of the essential hardware features I can think of. But anyways I think many of these are pretty much standard nowadays anyways.

But I picked a BB specifically over say an iPhone primarily because of the full hardware keyboard and secondly because of the removable memory and battery so maybe they are the most important features to me. Also that fact that with an iPhone (as far as I know...) you're limited to apps that are in the app store and hence at the mercy of Apple as to what they approve. On a BB anyone can post any app to any website and you can download it.
    Last edited by biznatch; 09-08-09 at 12:26 AM.
    09-08-09 12:20 AM
    The reason I like this phone over the one I use to have is that I no longer have to push any buttons to have my email sent to me or to check for new email like I did on my MotoQ(no i did not have outlook just outlook express).It was not worth it to but microsoft office and then I am not sure if it would have been sent automatically like it does now.
    I would not get one without a removeable card or battery either,and a touchscreen is fine on my ipod but Not for my phone .
    I dont install many apps maybe a card game or something like that(berrybuzz,berryweather,etc) most games on ipod.I use my BB more for internet,text, and SMS alerts of all kinda from breaking news to weather to sports.
    Last edited by DavidNC; 09-08-09 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added stuff
    09-08-09 05:34 AM
    Wi-Fi with UMA capability...reception in my building on the mobile network is disgusting. Before most of the calls I received (smartphone or not) would go straight to voice mail. UMA solved my problem
    09-08-09 10:38 AM
    vlingo is the main reason I will not update my OS to the 5.0 leaks.
    09-08-09 10:40 AM
    Wi-Fi with UMA capability...reception in my building on the mobile network is disgusting. Before most of the calls I received (smartphone or not) would go straight to voice mail. UMA solved my problem
    I bet UMA is great but I don't think it will ever be available on the Verizon network.
    09-08-09 10:43 AM
    vlingo is the main reason I will not update my OS to the 5.0 leaks.
    Vlingo works great on my Tour with irtehun's 5.0v3 hybrid, based on 5.0.0.140. Maybe different on the Storm?
    09-08-09 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD