02-23-16 05:56 AM
59 123
tools
    In my hub I have 8 email accounts, Twitter, Facebook, BBM, text messages, iGrann, etc and I have absolutely no lag. Android apps is a different story as they are definitely slower than on an Android device, but the Z30 can certainly handle several accounts without difficulty.

Posted via CB10
    Do you experience lag while using the camera, switching from pictures to video recording? Opening file manager, the animation is little laggy, etc
    Like I said maybe it is that I have to many apps for a z 30 but in today's comparison there are loads of phones with better hardware, but since we are BlackBerry users everything out there is rubbish, so the closest to still being BlackBerry and having Blackberrys most top end hardware I'd suggest give Priv a try, if you are a tech guy, if you just use basics then Z30 is good

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 10:30 PM
    I think I'm more of a Basics guy. Messaging and communication is 85% of my use. The remaining 15% is some social media, CB, eBay, etc. Currently, every app I have on my Z10 works well using Snap. I can only imagine it being better using Cobalt's Play Store and a Z30. No?

Z10, 10.3.2.858, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    02-16-16 10:34 PM
    Tried the priv. Android in general is a convoluted mess. It's infinite options to tinker with can become tedious to say the least. More isn't always better and less isn't always worse. Less is more when you don't wanna dedicate more time on your phone than u need.

That's what makes bb10 beautiful imo.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 11:01 PM
    Z30 would be cheap, better quality, stronger, and more productive to work. You can break a Priv on a first drop, poor battery, expensive, and see about their hub issues!

Passport SE
    02-16-16 11:20 PM
    Z30 would be cheap, better quality, stronger, and more productive to work. You can break a Priv on a first drop, poor battery, expensive, and see about their hub issues!

Passport SE
    For a workhorse, Z30 seems to be hard to beat all things considered. If BlackBerry updates the ART the Z30 could be capable for some time to come.

02-16-16 11:23 PM
    Z30 used- 150
    Priv used- 500+
    I'd go with the Z30 gently used and you can stay off contract.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 11:29 PM
    I think I'm more of a Basics guy. Messaging and communication is 85% of my use. The remaining 15% is some social media, CB, eBay, etc. Currently, every app I have on my Z10 works well using Snap. I can only imagine it being better using Cobalt's Play Store and a Z30. No?

Then I'd strongly suggest the z30, nothing beats it, wish they come out with an os10 priv

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 01:12 AM

Passport SE
    Sounds a bit biased. I'm pretty sure that you can break any phone on the first drop if it isn't protected and you are unlucky; I really don't think that the "number of drops" is the deciding factor of when your phone will break or how 'strong' it is. "Productive" is relative as the Priv has a physical keyboard and some would argue that a PKB alone can make one more productive. The battery in the Priv is massive (much bigger than the Z30) and most people are reporting that it is more than adequate for getting them through the entire day without a recharge (which to me is the standard to aim for) and also has quick charging if you need a top-up beforehand.

To each their own but it doesn't make sense to bash one just because the other suits their needs more.

Biggest advantages the Z30 has, from my perspective, are the price and the BB10 features that we love, including a more refined and integrated Hub experience. Other than that, the Priv is an upgrade in almost every way.
    02-17-16 01:34 AM
    Can you even buy a brand new Z30 from shopblackberry or amazon or a carrier in North America? I don't see that option on shopblackberry.ca or shopblackberry US.
    02-17-16 07:27 AM
    If you don't feel the need to have the latest and greatest, Z30 would be my choice right now. Sometimes I think we get coerced in to thinking we have to keep up with everyone else, so we will spend more money.

The Z30 is really cheap off contract now. You can probably find a used one on the CrackBerry Marketplace. Then you can wait and see what you want to upgrade to, without feeling guilty that you bought an expensive phone that you might not want in a year.

I like the idea of the Priv, but am holding off because my Z30 works fine for me right now. Got it last year from the Marketplace.
    Big screen, great speakers, love the hub, th file manager, android apps.......eh, not so great but OK for the few I need.

It's a personal choice. Get what works for you.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    02-17-16 07:36 AM
    Android crap Priv? Or the awesome BB10 Os Z30...? Get the Z30!

  
    02-17-16 09:40 PM
    Do you experience lag while using the camera, switching from pictures to video recording? Opening file manager, the animation is little laggy, etc
    Like I said maybe it is that I have to many apps for a z 30 but in today's comparison there are loads of phones with better hardware, but since we are BlackBerry users everything out there is rubbish, so the closest to still being BlackBerry and having Blackberrys most top end hardware I'd suggest give Priv a try, if you are a tech guy, if you just use basics then Z30 is good

Posted via CB10
    Most of the phone is fairly snappy still, with the exception of picture password and bringing up the search function.
    02-17-16 10:02 PM
    BB10 will probably be around for a while longer so that the Z30 would be a reasonable choice. I hesitate to say this, but while Android will probably be around for a bit longer, who knows where BB is going as far as devices. Now I don't mean to suggest that they will implode quickly but ....

I'm with Verizon and also limited by choices. And for where I travel, Verizon has the best coverage. I still really like my Z30 which I've now had as an upgrade from the Z10 for a full year. I run a sufficient number of Android apps and I don't find a significant degradation in speed. Obviously, some don't work so app choices do remain limited. I don't Facebook or Instagram to whether or not BB supports or upgrades those, I don't really care.

A few weeks ago, I almost pulled the plug on another almost new Veizon Z30. Now I'm sorry I passed on it - for backup.
    02-17-16 10:54 PM
    Z30 is arguably the best all touch phone by Blackberry whilst the Priv is 2in1 device sporting both VKB and the amazing slider powered PKB. Both are unique devices. I am using the Priv now and have used the Z30 in the past . As a business phone Z30 surpasses the Priv as the Hub in BB10 is unmatchable . Having said that the Priv hub is in the evolving stage and I am sure it will be as good as BB10 Hub & not to speak of the apps store on the android . Please choose the best device which comes closer to meet your needs and wants .
    02-18-16 12:34 AM
    I vote Z30. While we are unlikely to get any new features for the indeterminable future, BB10 as it is works great and as fairly bug free and fleshed out. We are still getting security and maintenance releases, though the Priv may be getting patches faster.

Between the Amazon App store, Cobalt's kit, Snap, and Gmaps patcher I can run virtually any app available for Android (except those that require Android OS 2.4 or newer), but honestly aside from a transit app I don't really use too many Android apps and can mostly live without them. If you think you will really get into apps then the Priv with proper Android OS would be better, but otherwise the Z30 is a very good phone.
    02-18-16 02:29 AM
    If it's any help, my Z30 has been in use for nearly 2 years now, still on the original battery, which performs very well on 10.3.2.2789. I'm admittedly a light user, but 3 days plus is not uncommon between recharges.

The device itself has been 100% trouble-free, and has been capable of running all Android apps I've thrown at it (not a great many - I guess about a dozen or two). I load them using Snap, which I find very easy.

Point in favour of Priv, is that you have newer and faster hardware, so can expect better performance. On the other hand, it's still quite new, so hasn't really had much chance to prove itself in terms of durability and reliability.

I'm inclined to point you in the direction of the Z30, which is already proven.

I think I'm leaning towards grabbing a Z30. At this point, bb10 is working really well for me. I NEED the Hub. Period.

I like the idea of the Priv, but I don't want to spend $700 on a phone. I also feel the Priv has some teething problems to work out....mostly the Hub and the generally disjointed user experience some are reporting.

FF22 likes this.
    02-18-16 05:43 AM
    I appreciate all the feedback. Each device has its pros and cons. At the end of the day, I need a reliable device to get my work done securely. I think the Z30 may have the upper hand in this scenario.

02-18-16 08:16 AM
    My opinion is as follows :
    If you're a small business user and the Passport's not an option;
    1) the Z30 has the power and BlackBerry10 productivity required.
    2) And like you were saying, it also has access to the Android apps you need.
    3) Not to mention the full functionality of the HUB.
    4) Farther more it could cost about a third of the price of the Priv.

As far as your concerns of BlackBerry moving to Android, if you consider there's also speculations that BlackBerry could go to a Total Software Manufacturer. And if that's the case, if you have a Priv or a Z30, after 2 years (the term of an average contract) are you currently "promised" to have any BlackBerry device support at all, and by that time you'll be probably ready to choose another phone.

But you've done the math already, haven't you?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 09:25 AM
    Priv

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 12:18 PM
    I appreciate all the feedback. Each device has its pros and cons. At the end of the day, I need a reliable device to get my work done securely. I think the Z30 may have the upper hand in this scenario.

Again if your not going to jump ship to another carrier that has the Priv Than it a mute point. Your only choice is the Z30.
    02-18-16 05:46 PM
    I would just say that the screen on the Z30 is not as sharp as crisp as your Z10. If you want an all touch , I would be definitely be buying any number of flagship Android phones with great screens.
    02-18-16 06:21 PM
    I would just say that the screen on the Z30 is not as sharp as crisp as your Z10. If you want an all touch , I would be definitely be buying any number of flagship Android phones with great screens.
    Gotta have the hub. Not negotiable. I'm on Verizon, so the Z30 is readily available and the Priv is due shortly.

02-18-16 06:28 PM
    I don't usually ask for advice when it comes to purchasing a device. But, given the transition BlackBerry is undergoing, I am stumped on which direction to move. I currently use my Z10, and absolutely love it. But, I need a bigger screen. I get a lot of eye strain because quite frankly, I don't see all that well.

I am on Verizon, so devices like the Passport, Leap, etc. are off the table. I prefer VKB's anyway. I am a small business user, so efficient communication is essential. I use a handful of Android apps via Snap and that seems to work ok for now.

The Z30 seems like the logical choice, but with all the uncertainty surrounding BB10, I am reluctant to drop a couple hundred bucks on a device that may cease to work well. I'm going through that with my PB. But BB10 just works so well (for now).

Priv is sweet. Saw it at TMO and it is a quality piece. That said, it is pricey and many people report the Hub is weak and the OS experience is disjointed. So, while the future of BlackBerry is likely Android, I'm not sure it will be the best solution for ME. Right now, the Z30 with Cobalt's Play Store seems like a good strategy.

I'm asking the community for thoughtful feedback on this matter. Thanks in advance!

If you want something that alleviates eye strain... Get a Nokia Lumia 1520. It is an amazing phone with 4GLTE, a six inch screen, and sdxc memory card support. Not only that, Windows phone has about the best support for memory expansion cards on the market...
    02-18-16 06:37 PM
    Z30.

As dude above me said, get cheap android tablet if you need apps.

If money is no object, then get the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    If money is no object, buy BlackBerry, design your own phones!

OK I can dream, right?
    02-18-16 07:18 PM
    Z30, because it's a better value for the money, and your overall user experience will be better than that from the Priv. Don't get a Priv at this time. The Android OS is not yet where BlackBerry wants it to be (certified secure, right?). Your BlackBerry+Android user experience will stay at 1.0 for awhile. Marshmallow will help a little. But underneath it still is Android, with the malware, excessive swiping requirements in the UI, and all those suspicious processes running underneath that hogs up battery, RAM and otherwise nice hardware components. The Z30 will last you at least until the Priv's successor. And if you really suffer from app gap, the $ you save, not to mention the headaches from using the Android OS, can be spent on a nice Android tablet like the $200 nVidia Shield.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    02-18-16 08:58 PM
59 123