I don't usually ask for advice when it comes to purchasing a device. But, given the transition BlackBerry is undergoing, I am stumped on which direction to move. I currently use my Z10, and absolutely love it. But, I need a bigger screen. I get a lot of eye strain because quite frankly, I don't see all that well.

I am on Verizon, so devices like the Passport, Leap, etc. are off the table. I prefer VKB's anyway. I am a small business user, so efficient communication is essential. I use a handful of Android apps via Snap and that seems to work ok for now.

The Z30 seems like the logical choice, but with all the uncertainty surrounding BB10, I am reluctant to drop a couple hundred bucks on a device that may cease to work well. I'm going through that with my PB. But BB10 just works so well (for now).

Priv is sweet. Saw it at TMO and it is a quality piece. That said, it is pricey and many people report the Hub is weak and the OS experience is disjointed. So, while the future of BlackBerry is likely Android, I'm not sure it will be the best solution for ME. Right now, the Z30 with Cobalt's Play Store seems like a good strategy.

I'm asking the community for thoughtful feedback on this matter. Thanks in advance!

Z10, 10.3.2.858, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    02-16-16 01:24 PM
    There is a big speed difference , the Z30 is a great device but won't keep up to the Priv, and also if you need all the apps you just d/l you don't have to set anything up or side load.
    02-16-16 01:31 PM
    I'd go with the priv. You have all the apps, great screen, fast, great camera, and much more. Plus android will be supported in the future and you'll be getting marshmallow which will bring in some additional security benefits.

I have the Z30 and although it's much better than the Z10 I'd go for the priv. Had the priv for a few days but returned it cause I had no service with Wind. I loved it and it's probably gotten much better considering I used it back in December.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 02:18 PM
    I'd go for the Z30 if there was something actually wrong with the Z10 and you needed to replace it for some reason. Or, if the battery was just that much of an issue to you and you were sick of doing battery swaps (although, I actually found the spare battery charging combo with the Z10 more than just solved the short battery life as I never had to directly plug the phone in again! )

The Priv is the obvious upgrade choice. The Z30 is more of a replacement to your Z10 but it won't be leaps and bounds better like you may hope when getting a new device.
    02-16-16 02:34 PM
    All good points so far. Battery life is important, fixed that on the Z10 with an extended battery. This is an ok solution though it makes for a clunky phone.

I'm a little leary of Android. I tried a family members Android phone and it was a hot mess. I don't need to bring that frustration into my life. But maybe with a little time it would become more natural?

02-16-16 02:43 PM
    If you plan on staying with Verizon than there is only one Phone and that's the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    saxxman likes this.
    02-16-16 03:12 PM
    Yeah, I have been with Verizon for 15 years, but I am open to making a switch also. Wireless options, for me, have gotten better especially TMO. I'm not on any type of contract.

02-16-16 03:26 PM
    The way I see it I have three options:

1) Grab a Z30, throw on Cobalt's Play Store and hope for the best going forward.
    2) Grab a nice Android phone and put BlackBerry software on it via Cobalt and see how that goes.
    3) Buy a Priv for an exorbitant amount of money that will be a compromise of option #1 and #2.

iOS and Windows Phone 10 are not options for me.

02-16-16 03:46 PM
    Sounds like you have a plan, myself it's all about being value added. I bought a Priv which has worked well for me and I also carry an iPhone 6s as a second device because of IOS apps my clients require me to use. In the end, you have to choose what best fills your needs and your budget.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-16-16 03:53 PM
    Sounds like you have a plan, myself it's all about being value added. I bought a Priv which has worked well for me and I also carry an iPhone 6s as a second device because of IOS apps my clients require me to use. In the end, you have to choose what best fills your needs and your budget.
    Here comes Ron again with his common sense logic! How dare you!

02-16-16 03:55 PM
    I think I'm leaning towards grabbing a Z30. At this point, bb10 is working really well for me. I NEED the Hub. Period.

I like the idea of the Priv, but I don't want to spend $700 on a phone. I also feel the Priv has some teething problems to work out....mostly the Hub and the generally disjointed user experience some are reporting.

02-16-16 03:58 PM
    I think I'm leaning towards grabbing a Z30. At this point, bb10 is working really well for me. I NEED the Hub. Period.

I like the idea of the Priv, but I don't want to spend $700 on a phone. I also feel the Priv has some teething problems to work out....mostly the Hub and the generally disjointed user experience some are reporting.

Sounds like a good choice for your needs. If you love the HUB that much you should get a couple years out of it any ways. Good luck.
    02-16-16 04:16 PM

As long as you're OK with the possibility of some of those Android apps not working, go for it. I have the Z30 and am getting more frustrated by not only Android apps but some BlackBerry apps that are no longer functioning fully. Once / if Marshmallow comes to the Priv I'll probably move in that direction knowing that the OS is a bit of a mess and the hub will be a ghost of itself compared to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 06:00 PM
    I say wait for the Galaxy s7

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 06:20 PM
    As long as you're OK with the possibility of some of those Android apps not working, go for it. I have the Z30 and am getting more frustrated by not only Android apps but some BlackBerry apps that are no longer functioning fully. Once / if Marshmallow comes to the Priv I'll probably move in that direction knowing that the OS is a bit of a mess and the hub will be a ghost of itself compared to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Just curious...how are you getting your Android apps? Amazon? Snap? Cobalt?

02-16-16 06:22 PM
    I say wait for the Galaxy s7

Posted via CB10
    I'm thinking that us going to be more than I want to spend.

02-16-16 06:23 PM
    It will be a better pbone

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 06:28 PM
    Just curious...how are you getting your Android apps? Amazon? Snap? Cobalt?

I use Snap and BlackBerry World. Funny thing is, it is two of my BlackBerry World apps that aren't working fully, as the devs are no longer updating them. In addition, Facebook and Twitter app development is at a standstill and lack features of their iOS or Android counterparts.

I tried recently loading Ultraviolet sourced movies onto my Z30 using apps from Amazon and through Snap, but the phone is being reported as unsupported.

Once again, the reality is that the app gap was closing, but I feel it is now widening again. Such a shame.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 07:00 PM
    Gebco-- Do you know if Cobalt's Play Store addresses these shortfalls? I'm not that knowledgeable on the inner workings of Play Stores like Amazon, Google, etc.

I use mostly Snap and have very few problems on my Z10. No deal breakers so to speak.

02-16-16 07:08 PM
    Gebco-- Do you know if Cobalt's Play Store addresses these shortfalls? I'm not that knowledgeable on the inner workings of Play Stores like Amazon, Google, etc.

I use mostly Snap and have very few problems on my Z10. No deal breakers so to speak.

AFAIK Cobalt's solutions allow you to use Android apps depending on Google Play Services, as well as purchasing apps, unlike Snap.

Bottom line, if you don't need the apps and the hub is your biggest priority, the Z30 should work fine. I really like my z30: big screen, nice colours, faster than the Z10 and more features.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 07:18 PM
    AFAIK Cobalt's solutions allow you to use Android apps depending on Google Play Services, as well as purchasing apps, unlike Snap.

Bottom line, if you don't need the apps and the hub is your biggest priority, the Z30 should work fine. I really like my z30: big screen, nice colours, faster than the Z10 and more features.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards the Z30. I have to have the Hub and in my line if work, I need security. That limits me.

Last edited by Platinum_2; 02-16-16 at 07:53 PM.
    02-16-16 07:26 PM
    Z30 is definitely a great device and love the speakers on it. Again it's apps that are your problem but I got a cheap android tablet for those

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 07:52 PM
    Z30.

As dude above me said, get cheap android tablet if you need apps.

If money is no object, then get the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 08:32 PM
    Using a Z30 since a while, the phone is frustratingly slow, in your case your upgrading from a Z10 so maybe you may like the change but in now way is it at par with today's market, neither is the Priv but it's hardware can still carry you forward a couple of years, I am open to Android now as BlackBerry hasn't left me a choice, using it for 15 years has become a part of my functioning, not sure how and if I'd be able to adjust to the change in os, but I just can't handle the lack of power, waiting for apps to load,to open etc is just toooo annoying now. If you don't use too many apps have basic an email or two synced and are going to use the phone as a basic phone your good with a z30, if you want apps, couple of email accounts, Android apps to work smoothly, give Priv a chance, I would have said android, but Priv is the closest you can get to the best of both the worlds

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 08:49 PM
    Using a Z30 since a while, the phone is frustratingly slow, in your case your upgrading from a Z10 so maybe you may like the change but in now way is it at par with today's market, neither is the Priv but it's hardware can still carry you forward a couple of years, I am open to Android now as BlackBerry hasn't left me a choice, using it for 15 years has become a part of my functioning, not sure how and if I'd be able to adjust to the change in os, but I just can't handle the lack of power, waiting for apps to load,to open etc is just toooo annoying now. If you don't use too many apps have basic an email or two synced and are going to use the phone as a basic phone your good with a z30, if you want apps, couple of email accounts, Android apps to work smoothly, give Priv a chance, I would have said android, but Priv is the closest you can get to the best of both the worlds

Posted via CB10
    In my hub I have 8 email accounts, Twitter, Facebook, BBM, text messages, iGrann, etc and I have absolutely no lag. Android apps is a different story as they are definitely slower than on an Android device, but the Z30 can certainly handle several accounts without difficulty.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 10:18 PM
59 123