So I recently decided that I would like to buy a blackberry (the Niagara)when my verizon contract expires. I discussed this with my roomate (who is an iphone user) and he could not be more against the idea of getting a blackberry. I told him my reasonings for wanting to get a blackberry, as I will be interning this summer. And he proceeded to tell me that getting a new blackberry is "inappropriate" in the business world.

He went on to say that by getting a new blackerry I will be showing up my boss and co-workers.He said I will be sending off the wrong message by potentially having a newer phone then them. Aparently its "snoby" and "spoiled" to get the new niagara. I couldn't have disagreed with him more and then said that the iphone is equally as expensive. But he claimed that since the iphone isn't as prevelent in the business world, it's okay to have one. For those of you that work in the business world, please tell me i'm not crazy and that my roomate is a moron.
    04-13-09 03:46 PM
    I would disagree, I think the iPhone comes off as more snobyish. People who have it think that they're the all knowing, greatest people on the planet. A lot of them are arrogant and flont it.

I was always told never to outdress your supervisor, but outphone him? Never heard that one. I would think it conveys the message you take business seriously.
    04-13-09 03:55 PM
    I have a Storm. Both my bosses have the 8703e. They both call me for tech support. Neither one seems to have any problem with me having a newer or better device than them.
    04-13-09 04:00 PM
    I don't think that a new BB comes off as being "inappropriate" in the business world. I was the first one at my company to get the storm (launch day release) and I got more positives from co-workers then negatives from it. One of my bosses even wanted to try it out. He said that it would help in the decision process when it came time to get new company devices. Just like anything in the business world, whether it be a car, house or even a BB, what you own shows what type of person you are not how serious you take your job.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 04:19 PM
    I wouldn't go so far as calling him a "moron", but he and everyone else should know that the BB is far more prevelant in the business world, than the iPhone. Both are great devices, don't get me wrong, but they are in no way equal, one or the other. It should depend on you and your business. Outway the pros and cons of both devices. Is it compatible with your business software, format compatibility, field work? I have two co-workers who own iPhones and they constantly complain about them. The iPhone is in no way leaps and bonds over the Storm, and in many repescts vice versa. It's all about preference. If your business is email and network driven, I suggest the BB over the iPhone any day of the week. If your looking for a device that levels the playing field of reliablity, business function and entertainment, then a BB is the device for you.
    04-13-09 04:42 PM
    Your roomate sounds like a hater, to be honest. Anybody in the business world who would think an intern is "snobby" or "spoiled" just because you're rocking the newest BB, doesn't belong in the business world.
    04-13-09 05:24 PM
    So I recently decided that I would like to buy a blackberry (the Niagara)when my verizon contract expires. I discussed this with my roomate (who is an iphone user) and he could not be more against the idea of getting a blackberry. I told him my reasonings for wanting to get a blackberry, as I will be interning this summer. And he proceeded to tell me that getting a new blackberry is "inappropriate" in the business world.

He went on to say that by getting a new blackerry I will be showing up my boss and co-workers.He said I will be sending off the wrong message by potentially having a newer phone then them. Aparently its "snoby" and "spoiled" to get the new niagara. I couldn't have disagreed with him more and then said that the iphone is equally as expensive. But he claimed that since the iphone isn't as prevelent in the business world, it's okay to have one. For those of you that work in the business world, please tell me i'm not crazy and that my roomate is a moron.
    In addition to not getting a new Berry you shouldn't buy a new car, house, clothes, make more money, or have a hotter wife/GF.

Seriously, your roommate is being a moron.
    04-13-09 05:29 PM
    Put your weapons down, you won't need them because you're fighting with an unarmed man. Thank your friend for his concern & follow your gut feeling. Only buy it if you can afford to.
    If your Blackberry helps you to do your work better, and you treat it as just another tool that you bring to the task, then any employer will see you as "value added".

04-13-09 05:44 PM
    Get whatever you want man, seriously, do you really think your boss care about what kind of phone you use?
    04-13-09 05:48 PM
    I think your friend wants a blackberry. Lol :P. Seriously, don't worry, it's a blackberry, not a promotion.
    04-13-09 06:16 PM
    I've heard some ridiculous arguments in the "phone wars", but this one is near the top of the list.

Your boss and your clients are not going to care one iota what kind of phone you have. And they certainly aren't going to care if it is "newer" than theirs.
    04-13-09 06:19 PM
    Your roomate is seriously disturbed he probably doesn't want you bringing competition with the niagra. As far as your boss I really doubt it will be a issue as they may even provide you with a company phone.

04-13-09 07:14 PM
    I think the fact that you have a BlackBerry is statement enough that you mean business in your new interning job. Sure the iPhone is flashy, but it is the BB that the business world turns to when productivity is key. If anything, your new boss would probably be impressed that you are willing to be accessable at any time, I don't think he'll care what model device you have.

The BlackBerry name carries a lot of weight, enjoy your new device, and your new job!

04-13-09 11:17 PM
    I think you need a new roommate.

And really...if you are in the business world yourself, stop worrying about what others think of your phone. YOU have to pay the bill; YOU have to use the phone. Get the one that makes you happy.
    04-13-09 11:24 PM
    I dont see where he is coming from?

You do what you want no one will think your snobby... so he thinks that you cant buy new stuff?

thats a little rediculous as like you said his iPhone is just as much
    04-13-09 11:29 PM
    I think that if your boss is concerned about which phone you have then maybe having a BlackBerry is going to tell them you are serious about business.

If they really care about the phone you use, and they themselves have BlackBerries, walking in with an iPhone will more than likely tell them you are happily a career college student.

If the company you are going to intern for doesn't care about the phone you carry, then the point in moot.

The other thing to look at is if you want to change carriers and go with AT&T.
    04-14-09 08:39 AM
    In todays world of NE2 discounts I think it wouldn't be unusual for subordiantes to have "newer model phones" than their bosses
    04-14-09 09:07 AM
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My friend is an iphone user and I'm a blackberry guy. The bottom line is this, do whatever makes you happy. If that means getting the new blackberry when it comes out, do it.
    04-14-09 09:13 AM
    Your roomate strikes me as a tool.

its a phone. I cant imagine how what kind one has plays into their job, in the context you two are discussing. its a BB. Its not like youre rolling in with a blinged out Vertu.

get what you want, good luck with your internship, and tell him to suck it
    04-14-09 09:20 AM
    i don't think it would be snobby, especially with the deals cellphone companies run these days, its not insane to get a great deal on a new phone.

also, some companies adopt the newer blackberrys as the standard as far as tech is concerned. granted, higher level execs have first dibs on the new phones, but hey, it happens.

blackberrys are great for email, doesn't matter which model you have.

but in the end, get whatever you think you'd like best.

btw (to the OP) how do you have a curve 8900 on verizon?
    04-14-09 09:20 AM
    I think having an iPhone in the business world is more inappropriate. The iPhone is the newest and greatest toy, its also a music player FIRST! Since most people in the business world uses a BB having an iPHone says more "I'm better than you" than having a newer BB. People always say dress for the job you want not the job you have. Owning the newest BlackBerry says you're serious and use the best technology at your disposal.
    04-14-09 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD