Dear RIM: you've got a few billion in the bank. Your loyalists love physical keyboards, you're struggling to produce a genuinely unique product. BUY THIS COMPANY:

Mobile tactile tech gets physical | TG Daily

Offer users something that is ACTUALLY unique to the market. Not something you have to convince people is. Satisfy both sectors at once.
    07-04-12 07:13 AM
    Wow! That is...freaky cool! I would say a LOT of durability issues would arise, but once perfected...wow.
    07-04-12 09:18 AM
    I agree this would be great for rim, but I think trying to implement it now would be too late for bb10 release. or atleast the first wave. I think they should focus on getting bb10 out as soon as possible, but definitely next set of phones look into this! thanks for the link
    07-04-12 09:27 AM
    So cool but so easily damaged, I would think.

And would make for a great game of Whack-A-Mole, no?
    07-04-12 10:17 AM
    Very cool! But RIM can't be distracted from anything they are working on now. Integrating something new *could* delay anything they are working on. They also need to conserve cash if income continues to drop. But it is a VERY cool product.
    07-04-12 10:51 AM
    If anything, this might be the worst time to go after this. It may push BB10 release to q4 2013 to perfect it.
    07-04-12 11:18 AM
    I like the idea but needs to be perfected. Some drawbacks:

1. fixed orientation and buttons, can't go landscape to portrait and back again

2. fixed tactile button sizes and configuration, so can't have apps control keyboard layout sizes and positioning as can do on screen

3. damage puncturing and also stretch over time and fatigue of rubbery plastic material

4. power required for inflation and deflation of the keyboard

5. screen clarity considering there will be this membraneous layering over the screen

6. tactile membraneous keyboard still NOT the same as a physical click keyboard which has a different feel, just like a regular PC keyboard is much better than the roll-up rubbery waterproof soft keyboards

7. need to determine if screen protectors are needed or could be used or not, and if interferes with inflation of keyboard bubbles

The idea is cool but not ready for prime time, has limited applications and would not withstand the demands and customization required by phone apps, and would be costly to replace.

If someone would design a matrix grid (like a display) but instead of light elements, has tactile elements that allows the entire screen to be a configurable 3D tacticle surface, that would be a different story.

Then you could make buttons of any size in your app, and orient them wherever you want. Your app would rise or depress the surface in any way or shape or design it wants. Now THAT would be something!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    07-04-12 12:21 PM
    I saw this on CNN a few weeks ago. It looks cool. And is very unique. Not sure of any durability issues, but I would give it a try.

Honestly.... I see this being more of an Apple type product; it's innovative, unique and would work nicely with their product line (iPod, iPhones, iPad)

Still... Wouldn't mind seeing it make it's way to a blackberry. When I think blackberry, I think keyboard. And this would definitely offer them something truly unique and dare I say... Magical.
    07-04-12 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD