A few months ago, travelling between somewhere and some place else, I was bored on a bus. At the time, one of my friends had just left the Blackberry collective and plumped down a wad of cash for an iPhone offline. I thought about it. I had been a long stretch with Blackberry - why was I staying? I put my thoughts down in a letter to Mike and Jim. Unfortunately, I never got around to sending it out to them. As it stands, I'm a little less enamoured with Blackberry at this point, but the bulk of my thoughts are still positive. I suppose it should now be titled "Dear Thorsten..."

Anyway, I've attached it here. Maybe you guys will have some thoughts on what I've written, I'll be interested to see if everyone is bound to Blackberry for the same reasons I am.

Dear Mike and Jim Thorsten

I've been following the news regarding the stunted anticipated economic rise of RIM as contrasted to its swift decline in popularity. I've been alarmed by the news coverage and the critical slant of much of what is said against RIM. I've read editorial after editorial on technology blogs that prophesise the impending demise that RIM is to suffer, and I don't agree with it.

I understand that the image of owning a Blackberry is pragmatic, and pragmatic alone. The iPhone is fun and Android is a technology geek's wet dream, but I need a phone to function and my Blackberry does just that. The camel may have been designed by community input, but it gets the job done properly, and though it might initially seem like an unfortunate comparison, it isn't, because the Blackberry is a camel that makes no bones with what it is supposed to do: A work companion to do what you want it to, but not necessarily swamped in finesse.

Don't get me wrong, my Bold has problems. The browser is in a class of its own; mainly because it's been disastrously incompetent and has been sent to sit by its lonesome self, but the competition is stiff. This needs improving, as do other areas, but I'm nitpicking. What is done properly, is done flawlessly. It wouldn't hurt for the platform to look nicer, but finish is not going to turn me away from a potential purchase, and I think I speak for the few million Blackberry users.

One word of advice I would like to share: I used to write for Gizmodo. At my time there, I interviewed the CEO of Pocketsurfer - a device that was way ahead of its time. The device let you surf the internet anywhere, with a GPRS connection, but had no local memory, a woeful processor and a screen with a resolution lower than the LCD watch I'm wearing. Their idea was good, but they ignored the infrastructure that was available. With Playbook, I think your idea is a winner. The internet doesn't need applications, but the hardware can't yet sustain that ideology. This is the age of the compartmentalised application, and I think, in that space, companies will rue the day they ignore such a fact. I hope you pay it some heed, although I am sure you are acutely aware of it.

Other than the gibberish above, I just wanted to let you know that your products improve the way I live my life, and I appreciate the effort you put in to make sure I'm as productive as can be. I enjoy what RIM does, and I hope you keep doing it. Damn the critics, this customer is happy and the scoreboard says I'm not alone.

Fantastically yours

Morsi
    cezley and Alex_Hong like this.
    05-06-12 09:55 AM
    a nice letter, it's realistic and positive at the same time
    Morsicatio likes this.
    05-06-12 11:35 AM
    I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. I will always have a soft spot for Blackberry, and maybe 10 will convince me to return, but until then, so long old friend.
    05-31-12 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD