I got a new Q10 yesterday. I still don't get it how no one have patience any more. This is a war. So what to lose a couple of battles during short period of time. It is going to take long time to turn around and grow. Do it like Google and earn money from it indirectly. Too late to sell Z10 cheap to entice consumer now. Let's start with Z30. Don't expect to earn high margin on it, just sell it at breakeven and bring in new users. Earn more profit from elsewhere like MDM, BBM etc. If apple, Samsung do not want me to survive, then I will bring you with me down together. This is real war.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:57 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is the best OS in the market just needs breathing space to develop further, hopefully FFF knows what to do!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:10 PM
    Please think about what you are asking Fairfax to do.

Keep taking $1B baths, so that I can keep using my phone.

I understand the emotion and sentiment, but please just think.

There will be no more $1B big gulps. They have cut the product plan from 6 to 4 phones and that is really just because the are already released. Their bid probably includes a Z30 inventory write off, but we may never know when they go private.

They will probably keep supporting bb10. Future phones may come from licensed oem's.

IMHO
    09-23-13 10:20 PM
    Well said, that's exactly what we are all thinking
    09-23-13 10:29 PM
    Reply to bump and keep thread driving. Nice OP.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:37 PM
    Please think about what you are asking Fairfax to do.

Keep taking $1B baths, so that I can keep using my phone.

I understand the emotion and sentiment, but please just think.

There will be no more $1B big gulps. They have cut the product plan from 6 to 4 phones and that is really just because the are already released. Their bid probably includes a Z30 inventory write off, but we may never know when they go private.

They will probably keep supporting bb10. Future phones may come from licensed oem's.

IMHO
    Well I wouldn't mind a licensed device with BB10 on it (Even though I would still love a BlackBerry made phone), but guess we'll have to wait and see

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 11:06 PM
    Why the heck there is no HATE button......
    If you insist on feeding the trolls, we have some very nice slow working poisons for you to give them
    Otherwise, leave the trolls alone!!!
    09-23-13 11:09 PM
    Face it people - BlackBerry as we once knew it is gone.

Such a crying shame to see a pioneer of the cellphone market fall flat on its feet due to hubris and greed. Now the vultures will start picking at what's left of BlackBerry's carcass.
    09-24-13 09:10 AM
    If you insist on feeding the trolls, we have some very nice slow working poisons for you to give them
    Otherwise, leave the trolls alone!!!
    It's hardly trolling to simply state the obvious, which far too many here are for some reason completely and utterly blind to. BBRY itself effectively announced it last week.

So here it is summed up for you in plain and simple English:

BlackBerry is abandoning the handset business.

You may not like it, you may deny it, but there's no escaping the fact. The BB10 ecosystem has no value in the market whatsoever. Assuming the deal goes through, Fairfax is not about to throw money down that black hole when it has to pay off what could be around $2 billion or so in debt. The patents will be sold off to cover part of the debt, and Fairfax will try to refashion BBRY as a company that provides enterprise solutions.

Not handhelds.
    09-24-13 09:23 AM

Not handhelds.
    I'm not too sure about that yet. We shall see.
    09-24-13 10:02 AM
    It's hardly trolling to simply state the obvious, which far too many here are for some reason completely and utterly blind to. BBRY itself effectively announced it last week.

So here it is summed up for you in plain and simple English:

You may not like it, you may deny it, but there's no escaping the fact. The BB10 ecosystem has no value in the market whatsoever. Assuming the deal goes through, Fairfax is not about to throw money down that black hole when it has to pay off what could be around $2 billion or so in debt. The patents will be sold off to cover part of the debt, and Fairfax will try to refashion BBRY as a company that provides enterprise solutions.

Not handhelds.
    JasW, they did not say they are abandoning the handset business, they did say they will focus on corporate customers. The two are not synonymous.
    QNX is the most versatile OS on the market, with the most potential for cross-product implementation. The ecosystem that can be powered by QNX would be far superior to anything on the market- there is value in that.
    While the initial adoption curve for BB10 has not been stellar, it is invalid to say that BB10 has no value in the market whatsoever. If that were the case, none of the users on this forum would be here. Blackberry remains the best suited device for many users. A focus on enterprise does not eliminate the handset business. It would be foolish of BB's ownership to kill the handset opinion, given the true superiority of the platform in the marketplace.
    09-24-13 10:04 AM
    JasW, they did not say they are abandoning the handset business, they did say they will focus on corporate customers. The two are not synonymous.
    QNX is the most versatile OS on the market, with the most potential for cross-product implementation. The ecosystem that can be powered by QNX would be far superior to anything on the market- there is value in that.
    While the initial adoption curve for BB10 has not been stellar, it is invalid to say that BB10 has no value in the market whatsoever. If that were the case, none of the users on this forum would be here. Blackberry remains the best suited device for many users. A focus on enterprise does not eliminate the handset business. It would be foolish of BB's ownership to kill the handset opinion, given the true superiority of the platform in the marketplace.
    I think you mean they are not mutually exclusive rather than not synonymous. But do you really think BBRY is going to keep building handsets for enterprise/corporate customers? I don't. That's not particularly profitable, if at all. New management, which will have debt to pay off, is not going to keep that party going, even if it is limited to corporate customers.

As to the BB10 ecosystem having no value in the market, I meant as a something a company would want to acquire or hold on to. Sure, it has value to people here at CB. But that of course is not enough to make it profitable or worth keeping as a going division within the company.
    09-24-13 10:44 AM
    I think you mean they are not mutually exclusive rather than not synonymous. But do you really think BBRY is going to keep building handsets for enterprise/corporate customers? I don't. That's not particularly profitable, if at all. New management, which will have debt to pay off, is not going to keep that party going, even if it is limited to corporate customers.

As to the BB10 ecosystem having no value in the market, I meant as a something a company would want to acquire or hold on to. Sure, it has value to people here at CB. But that of course is not enough to make it profitable or worth keeping as a going division within the company.
    Gotta agree with yours posts Jasw.
    Prem is buying the company to make money. He's not doing it as a good will gesture. He needs to make coin for himself and his shareholders. Hate to say it. I'm a huge BlackBerry fan.
    But reality is he's not a charity. If and when the deal goes through, there won't be any discussions or news on the matter. It'll be disassembled as quick as possible to get his 2bil back and the enterprise solutions that remain will be pure profit.
    He's a smart man that orchestrated this move months ago.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    09-24-13 11:00 AM
    WAKE UP.

there's so much more going on now compared to whether you get to buy a new blackberry next year. people have lost tons of money. the current CEO has an incentive to sell the company in any way that he can. the buyer has ZERO experience managing a smartphone business neither do they have relatively infite amounts of money to throw at blackberry the way it's done in dragons den.

since you guys love harassing developers so much, channel that energy into writing to the lenovo CEO. if you really love your phones as much as you claim you do, only lenovo has a chance of saving rim at this point.
    bintheredundat likes this.
    09-24-13 11:11 AM
    Jas, I meant not synonymous referring to the statements rather than mutually exclusive (which would be in reference to the events themselves)... tomato tomato (pronounced differently lol)

Prem Watsa is not a charity, agreed. At the same time, there is much more than $4.7 billion of value in BB. Many have already commented that as investors we are getting the shorter end of the stick in this transaction. BB's elimination of the handset business destroys value, not creates. I would agree with you if you were to say that Fairfax will sell the handset business off (possibly to a company like Lenovo). But to completely abandon it would be a destruction of so much of what they are buying.
    I am not an expert on mergers and acquisitions, nor am I an expert on corporate strategy. I am only trying to employ common sense to try and predict what will happen in the future.
    09-24-13 12:34 PM
    Heres the view that im looking at this situation..
    in the near future fairfax is gonna sell the patents (3000 patents correct me if im wrong) that blackberry owned, selling it to those tech giants that relevants like Apple, google, microsoft etc.

So whats left ?
    oh yeah that blackberry smartphone division with Operating sistem (QNX) which is sluggish by the way.. selling it to those that interested?
    and blackberry messenger for every platform. (in app purchase products like Line/wechat etc)
    So the Ceo of rim aware the outcome of this really deep ****ty situation on financial firm buying tech companies. They just tear the companies to pieces.

Imagine this, thorston (ceo) already shopping the company to other tech companies like samsung, Apple, Google, microsoft etc..

But it boils to one thing!! Canadian government doesnt approve of selling Blackberry to other tech company outside of Canada. Guess what happen if the same way RIM selling itself just like Nokia did!?!
    The outcome wont be so negative as capital firm buying tech firm..
    the word "acquisition" does have nice ring to it, than the word that "selling" it to capital firm. Thorston would still have dignity and pride, he can running in the bowling alley singing "baby,baby oh baby"

We have in here those dellusional hardcore blackberrry fanboys that think Fairfax is a fixer and is gonna solve for all the problems that blackberry had! sorry to break it to you Fairfax is not steve jobs!

You put up a good fight blackberry now rest in peace.
    09-24-13 01:24 PM
    Let me see, You have 3 post with Crackberry and you are now an expert. You must be an apple or android fan.
    Heres the view that im looking at this situation..
    in the near future fairfax is gonna sell the patents (3000 patents correct me if im wrong) that blackberry owned, selling it to those tech giants that relevants like Apple, google, microsoft etc.

So whats left ?
    oh yeah that blackberry smartphone division with Operating sistem (QNX) which is sluggish by the way.. selling it to those that interested?
    and blackberry messenger for every platform. (in app purchase products like Line/wechat etc)
    So the Ceo of rim aware the outcome of this really deep ****ty situation on financial firm buying tech companies. They just tear the companies to pieces.

Imagine this, thorston (ceo) already shopping the company to other tech companies like samsung, Apple, Google, microsoft etc..

But it boils to one thing!! Canadian government doesnt approve of selling Blackberry to other tech company outside of Canada. Guess what happen if the same way RIM selling itself just like Nokia did!?!
    The outcome wont be so negative as capital firm buying tech firm..
    the word "acquisition" does have nice ring to it, than the word that "selling" it to capital firm. Thorston would still have dignity and pride, he can running in the bowling alley singing "baby,baby oh baby"

We have in here those dellusional hardcore blackberrry fanboys that think Fairfax is a fixer and is gonna solve for all the problems that blackberry had! sorry to break it to you Fairfax is not steve jobs!

You put up a good fight blackberry now rest in peace.
    09-24-13 01:37 PM
    Amen to that. :-)

BB Z10 Rocks!
    09-24-13 01:40 PM
    Let me see, You have 3 post with Crackberry and you are now an expert. You must be an apple or android fan.
    is that the best you could come up with?
    the fanboy crap!? do i have to worship blackberry so i can get approval and kudos from you BBRY shareholder?

let me see your hands up in the air and singing "one time" with me..here we go
    09-24-13 01:43 PM
    Well said OP. Fully support the sentiments.
    09-24-13 01:48 PM
    Can't find anything mentioned about devices in their announcement. They do mention solutions. Code for, whatever gets Fairfax back their $17 average share price.

You may not like the "solution"
    Exactly. The "Final Solution" didn't work out so well for certain groups of people. Although one of the intended targets seems to have perfected the "Protestant Guilt" much to their own advantage ever since.

My final solution would be to have BlackBerry management and the board of directors sent to the "showers" for a little cleansing. The USD55 million severance package negotiated for the chief executive officer would be equally divided amongst the early adopters of the BlackBerry PlayBook whom also are early adopters of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones. The severance packages for the other management types would be equally divided amongst every BlackBerry employee laid-off between August 2011 and December 2013.
    09-24-13 04:20 PM
    I i agree for the full one hundred percent with the OP's post.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 04:26 PM
    Interesting that there is so much talk of selling off patents. I just caught a program where an "expert" was talking about how although they have a lot of patents, most of them aren't worth much, because other larger players already have their own variation of these patents and just wouldn't be interested in purchasing them. Not sure how valid that statement is. Does anyone have any insight as to how much their patents are actually worth?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 08:48 PM
    Thank you for that. My sentiments exactly. I have spent a lot of time in other ecosystems and BB10 really speaks to me.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    09-30-13 09:01 PM
    Interesting that there is so much talk of selling off patents. I just caught a program where an "expert" was talking about how although they have a lot of patents, most of them aren't worth much, because other larger players already have their own variation of these patents and just wouldn't be interested in purchasing them. Not sure how valid that statement is. Does anyone have any insight as to how much their patents are actually worth?

Posted via CB10
    I guess the portfolio is only worth what a company would pay. And since everything is declining with respect to BlackBerry..... perhaps companies may take a wait and see approach. Nortels went for over 4 bil.

Here's an article putting their portfolio at about $2 bil
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/24/tech...nts/index.html

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    10-01-13 07:25 AM
50 12