And just to be clear, I'm not putting Jobs and Chen in the same category. Jobs was a once-in-a-lifetime type of person.

However, Chen has proven himself to be a capable transition CEO in the past. Just showing the parallels that exists between Apple and BlackBerry and the hurt of transitioning companies.
    03-03-16 09:49 AM
    No, I'm not.
    Did you read my post regarding commodore above?
    Viability and limitations based on competition doesn't matter when you think outside a box.
    And your right the next best thing is what is needed. Android isn't the next big thing and I would rather BlackBerry be it but they can only be that by being leaders, not followers. And making an Android device is being a desperate follower in an overcrowded space, not a leader creating new revolutionary niches, which is what is required.

Technology changes but entrepreneurial thinking really doesn't. It's the same battle fought on new fields. You could go back to other IT companies such as Sun Microsystems and you would see they did the same things right when they grew and took over the industry and they did the same kinds of things badly that blackberry is doing now when dying. Same with other companies like Ford Motor, which was horribly out gunned more then once with other companies like GM but managed to rise again thanks to innovation. You innovate or you die.. there is no playing it safe. If your not making your mark your not doing anything but dying.
    When you approach Steve Jobs' level of success you can buy us all a beer and we will apologize for doubting you.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-03-16 09:59 AM
    Loyal customers? What all 15 of you?
    16; don't leave me out
    03-03-16 12:31 PM
    Read the title and had a hearty laugh to myself.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Blackberry Priv
    03-03-16 12:40 PM
    Ahh, young armchair CEO's. Gotta love 'em.
    03-03-16 02:12 PM
    Please listen for sure... I'm in!

BB 10 for sure!
    03-03-16 04:11 PM
    When you approach Steve Jobs' level of success you can buy us all a beer and we will apologize for doubting you.
    wrong. Jobs would never (had) pay (id) you a beer.
    The richest tightfisted ever. Unmatched in this area too
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-04-16 08:55 AM
    Dude...Blackberry is not making any new phones. Blackberry will not be upgrading its own new OS. Blackberry as a phone, and as a company is dead, and Chen killed it.

Time to move to Apple if you want security and good design. Or OnePlus, or Blackphone.
    03-05-16 11:35 PM
    "...entrepreneurial thinking really doesn't...".

I don't think you 'get it'...Chen is not now, nor has ever been 'entrepreneurial'. He certainly was never a consumer products guy. He was and is an enterprise guy. When the board decided it was going to hire a person with Chen's background, the board decided it was getting out of the innovation business altogether. Perhaps an argument could be made that Blackberry could survive as some sort of mobile security enterprise, but how do you do that when Chen has already stated he believes phones should be crackable for the authorities? Tim Cook and Apple own the global leadership when it comes to security. Chen would never stand up to the Canadian authorities the way Cook is standing up to the American.

Blackberry might have been saved had the original leadership remained. Or, alternatively if a person with genuine entrepreneurial history in the consumer space took over. Blackberry still had a lot of advantages when Heins was around, though he made critical mistakes. And still many when Chen arrived.Chen choose to kill the product. Which has killed the company.
    03-05-16 11:51 PM
    BB 10 is the only way forward for BlacBerry!. Chen should be kicked out! Crapdroid Priv is garbage period.

  
    JulesDB likes this.
    03-06-16 12:47 AM
    BB 10 is the only way forward for BlacBerry!. Chen should be kicked out! Crapdroid Priv is garbage period.

  
    That was an incredibly well thought out and executed contribution.
    03-06-16 04:15 AM

  
    Simple and neat opinion, period!

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 04:31 AM

  
    Spoken like a true fanboy........who doesn't accept facts.
    03-06-16 07:08 AM
    Blackberry might have been saved had the original leadership remained. Or, alternatively if a person with genuine entrepreneurial history in the consumer space took over. Blackberry still had a lot of advantages when Heins was around, though he made critical mistakes. And still many when Chen arrived.Chen choose to kill the product. Which has killed the company.
    The decision to exit the consumer market and focus on enterprise was made before Chen became CEO. Here's an article on the impact this decision had in one market (among other things),

Lack of global knowledge cost BlackBerry Indonesia - The Globe and Mail
    03-06-16 12:35 PM
    did you see Chen's quote on this topic?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnChen/...8712237058?p=v

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-20-16 02:11 AM
    did you see Chen's quote on this topic?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnChen/...8712237058?p=v

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    No, no one saw that.
    03-20-16 04:36 AM
    No, no one saw that.
    And there's not a thread about it either.
    03-20-16 07:50 AM
117 ... 345