Went to a store to sell my old 9780 and got a price at which was 10 percent of my cost. The guy told me none of the Blackberry's have any resale even the new z10s and q10s, while a Samsung or an Apple will give you 50 percent resale value on your phone. I am from India and we don't have contracts here, mostly all phones are bought without any contract.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 07:50 AM
    I usually sell my old Berrys privately, they usually go fast and for enough to cover my upgrade cost.
    07-05-13 07:54 AM
    Resale value is usually proportionate to demand. Like it or hate it, that is one reason to invest in iOS.

But I agree, you might fetch more for BB devices in a private transaction.
    07-05-13 07:57 AM
    You also have to realize the reseller has to make money therefore the offered price will be proportionate to what they think they can sell it for.

If they know / feel a customer will pay a premium for a an iPhone 5 they will offer more as it will not be a huge "hit" to their profit margin. By the same token, offering the same buy price level for a phone, BBRY in this case, that will bring in a smaller return (profit margin) makes zero sense.
    07-05-13 08:07 AM
    You also have to realize the reseller has to make money therefore the offered price will be proportionate to what they think they can sell it for.

If they know / feel a customer will pay a premium for a an iPhone 5 they will offer more as it will not be a huge "hit" to their profit margin. By the same token, offering the same buy price level for a phone, BBRY in this case, that will bring in a smaller return (profit margin) makes zero sense.
    Good points... as usual.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-05-13 08:09 AM
    No chance - I never sell my stuff to a reseller.
    I'm only using eBay / amazon / private ...but it's true that BB doesn't resell very well.
    07-05-13 08:30 AM
    No one on Kijiji wants my z10 for more than 250. I've tested this multiple times.
    07-05-13 08:55 AM
    I can agree to this. No one wants anything to do with a BlackBerry. Shame, really.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 09:09 AM
    Accept the truth BB is on 4th place after Microsoft in demand/user base. So, we can't expect a good resale value...
    07-05-13 09:29 AM
    My Sprint 9930 (for now) has pretty reasonable resale value, but its value is considerably higher on eBay than it would be as a trade-in at Sprint.
    07-05-13 09:39 AM
    What did you expect from a store. Check actual sales on ebay and you'll find respectable resale values.
    07-05-13 09:41 AM
    He's right. Resale value sucks. I recently sold my Z10 and couldn't get more than $300. Even if you look on EBay for buy it now prices, they are all below $400 Unlocked, and with unlock prices at $50, that puts resale value for this phone between $300 - $350. I paid $650 full price for the phone, so talk about a hit. What the phone actually costs is almost irrelevant. It's just simple market economics at play here and the demand for this phone at higher prices is nonexistent. That's a big reason why I sold my Z10. Felt like I was holding another playbook quite frankly. If their latest earnings didn't raise a BUNCH of red flags for anyone....

I sold mine privately.
    07-05-13 09:41 AM
    I can agree to this. No one wants anything to do with a BlackBerry. Shame, really.

Posted via CB10
    Noone? Really?! Hyperbole alive and well
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-05-13 09:42 AM
    No one on Kijiji wants my z10 for more than 250. I've tested this multiple times.
    Same. I had to throw in 3 cases and a couple screen protectors just to get a sale at $300. There's no way those accessories will sell separately on their own lol. I sold through Kijiji and reposted multiple times. Even here on CB my thread got 400 views and not one reply. No one wants a BlackBerry. Quite frankly, neither do I anymore. Never thought that day would come so soon though.
    07-05-13 09:44 AM
    Noone? Really?! Hyperbole alive and well
    They are the least sought after smart phones in the market right now.. don't try to paint a pretty picture.
    07-05-13 09:45 AM
    I think this is likely depend on the country that you reside in.

In my country, BB definitely has a lower resale value than Apple and Samsung devices, no doubt about it. Of course with Apple at the top. But Windows Phone devices here has an even lower resale value than BB. I have checked with reseller that wouldn't even want to take in the device at all, or at a ridiculously low price. But there are definitely still demand for BlackBerry devices, even older ones in my country. On a side note, i just find it pretty ridiculous how high Apple's devices have. For the same price that would have gotten me an iPhone 4 16GB, I could get a HTC One XL. Yes. A newer phone with better specs all round even compared to the 4S, LTE, 32GB of storage. It's insane. But often than not the resale value reflects the popularity of the device. More demand, higher value. That's just how it is.
    07-05-13 09:54 AM
    Wow, resale value, you guys sounds like you are selling a used car. whats funny is all you guy are right blackberry sucks to resell but most of the phone are work horses.
    07-05-13 09:55 AM
    If their latest earnings didn't raise a BUNCH of red flags for anyone.....
    So marginal loss of income (after you sub out the Venezuela issues) .03cents/share. Increase of sold Z10 from previous quarter 2.7mill from 1 mill, and increase in operational cash to 3.1 Billion. What red flag are you concerned about? The fact they won't put OS10 on the Playbook?

Red flag would be burning through cash. Just because they didn't hit what analyst FEEL or THOUGHT that BB should do is not an indicator of a red flag. Also keep in mind that the numbers of Q10 sold wasn't in that report. It may have only gotten 1 month of Q10 sales so really 2.7million was mainly all Z10, besides the other 4.x million of OS7 phones sold too.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-05-13 10:00 AM
    Wow, resale value, you guys sounds like you are selling a used car. whats funny is all you guy are right blackberry sucks to resell but most of the phone are work horses.
    I agree with you, but some people/users like to try out different platforms/devices; so this is a bummer for them ... They won't try BB if they knew they won't be able to re-sell it for a reasonable price, in case they don't like it..
    07-05-13 10:04 AM
    Resale value is usually proportionate to demand. Like it or hate it, that is one reason to invest in iOS.

But I agree, you might fetch more for BB devices in a private transaction.
    If you buy ANYTHING that you KNOW you can only sell in the future for LESS money then it is not called INVESTING.
    07-05-13 10:29 AM
    He's right. Resale value sucks. I recently sold my Z10 and couldn't get more than $300. Even if you look on EBay for buy it now prices, they are all below $400 Unlocked, and with unlock prices at $50, that puts resale value for this phone between $300 - $350. I paid $650 full price for the phone, so talk about a hit. What the phone actually costs is almost irrelevant. It's just simple market economics at play here and the demand for this phone at higher prices is nonexistent. That's a big reason why I sold my Z10. Felt like I was holding another playbook quite frankly. If their latest earnings didn't raise a BUNCH of red flags for anyone....

I sold mine privately.
    I completely understand. I'm selling mine on craigslist and have a listing here. A couple days ago I had two people from CL interested but they've since just stopped responding to texts. If I text them anymore I'd come across as desparate to unload it lol. I had the same thought as you, that I was holding another Playbook. I just figured with the upcoming Aristo and new OS7 devices, as well as them supporting legacy devices...the Z10 could get lost in that shuffle.
    agp101 likes this.
    07-05-13 10:40 AM
    If you buy ANYTHING that you KNOW you can only sell in the future for LESS money then it is not called INVESTING.
    Okay.
    07-05-13 11:32 AM
    I sold my BlackBerry Bold 9900 on EBAY for $230.00. Before that sold my 9780 for $190. Not bad IMO. Spoke with my friend who owns a phone repair and resale store. She says that BlackBerry sells well for overseas.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    07-05-13 12:05 PM
    I sold my BlackBerry Bold 9900 on EBAY for $230.00. Before that sold my 9780 for $190. Not bad IMO. Spoke with my friend who owns a phone repair and resale store. She says that BlackBerry sells well for overseas.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    Now I know you can get some decent prices for used BBs in non-NA countries.
    07-05-13 12:08 PM
    It's still an investment of sorts. Not the kind of investment that has a chance to MAKE you money, but something that makes economical sense. For example, take the difference in resale value in various car brands. If you only plan on driving the car for, say, 5 years and then sell that car to buy a new one, you'd pick a vehicle with the higher resale value. A Honda over a Kia, for example.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-05-13 12:32 PM
41 12