What really could they have conveyed?

Conveyed to people the superiority of 'Angry Farm' or 'Angry Pigs' over 'Angry birds'? That a large app selection isn't important? Or that mobile gaming isn't interesting?
    Conveyed to people that a 1.4Ghz single core CPU >> 1.4Ghz Quad core CPU?
    Conveyed to people that their flagship devices have better cameras than the ones they see being touted on the competition?
    Conveyed to the people that 2.8 inch 640 x 480 screens are superior to 4.8 inch 1280 * 800 screens?
    Conveyed to the people that Netflix doesn't matter, despite the fact that it's now by far the most used service on the Internet in North America?
    Conveyed to the people that HSDPA+ is faster than LTE?

See, these are the things that are driving sales of competitor devices, the things that most consumers seem to care about these days.

RIM relies on their excellent physical keyboards and security to drive sales. Sadly, these are not the main drivers of sales in the consumer space...and it's telling on their bottom line. Even with aggressive advertisement, I don't see how RIM would be in a much better position than they are in today.

PS: Not bashing, just saying things as I see 'em.
    For anyone reading this site.. you're right. but not everyone really cares. My mom seriously doesn't care. All she wants is something she can text with and a decent browser. So there's no reason a 9900 wouldn't be great for her. She has one and loves it. She loves the keyboard and it does everything she wants. The main reason I wanted her to get one is so I'd have her as a bbm contact, aside from that it really didn't matter what phone she had as far as she was concerned. Now that she has one, she knows she likes the keyboard. But if she'd been sent home with something else she'd have never known what she was missing. So when we go into buy it, that's a sale RIM had a pretty good shot at, and a salesman in most cases would have sent her home with an iphone or a droid.

People like my mom are a decent segment. I'm not saying RIM would win every single person in that segment, but the point of this thread is they don't even get a shot because salesmen who are most likely phone-nerds like us on these forums are shoving RIM out of the way like George McFly at the high school dance.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by gravymonster; 07-09-12 at 10:26 AM.
    07-09-12 03:04 AM
    You are missing the point completely. The point of ALL of this extends beyond
    BB10. Why you insist upon framing it in that narrow scope is beyond me.
    i can only answer to what you posted, not what is in your mind about what you posted
    07-09-12 06:27 AM
    So what does this mean, RIM needs a drive through?

How did Dave Thomas solve his dilemma and will his solution help RIM?

Where is the correlation between what Dave Thomas did and RIM?

If the Wendy's analogy is too deep... try spaghetti sauce...

Malcolm Gladwell on spaghetti sauce | Video on TED.com

07-09-12 01:54 PM
    Who cares what the media is saying or what Dave Thomas ate, I know I'm so tired of reading articles all but cheering for RIM to go belly up, and the authors preparing to start feeding on it's corpse...

RIM has to bombard the airwaves with a well crafted ad campaign.

Keep the company afloat for the release of BB10, and pound the airwaves with commercials.

IMHO - I think ad's where it starts with them poking fun at themselves for falling behind, and then transition into how BB10 is the MUST HAVE device.

Remember the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercials? They never even showed a computer in those ads, and they rammed them down our throats.

Crash the airwaves with the best ad's, produced by the best ad agency on the planet. Show what you can do that the others can't and make that look cool. People want to have what others don't have, and eventually they all have it.

Microsoft beat Apple down like a red headed step child through from the 80's to the 90's, nearly completely into oblivion. Now owning some half eat fruit product is cool. you're creative, or trendy or in the know... or at least that's what the commercials made you think.

People in the masses want to be unique, and they all go out and buy what makes them unique until they are all the same again. People are starting to clammer about how the iPhone isn't new any more, they're just refreshes and upgrades. It a cycle, and RIM should position itself to be on deck next...

Everyone has delays, RIM picked a bad time to have one.

Market the heck out of this new OS, but do it right, with crafty ads, leading up to release, and ramp it up after.
    Last edited by ericdude; 07-09-12 at 03:45 PM.
    07-09-12 03:38 PM
    Who cares what the media is saying or what Dave Thomas ate, I know I'm so tired of reading articles all but cheering for RIM to go belly up, and the authors preparing to start feeding on it's corpse...

RIM has to bombard the airwaves with a well crafted ad campaign.

Keep the company afloat for the release of BB10, and pound the airwaves with commercials.

IMHO - I think ad's where it starts with them poking fun at themselves for falling behind, and then transition into how BB10 is the MUST HAVE device.

Remember the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercials? They never even showed a computer in those ads, and they rammed them down our throats.

Crash the airwaves with the best ad's, produced by the best ad agency on the planet. Show what you can do that the others can't and make that look cool. People want to have what others don't have, and eventually they all have it.

Microsoft beat Apple down like a red headed step child through from the 80's to the 90's, nearly completely into oblivion. Now owning some half eat fruit product is cool. you're creative, or trendy or in the know... or at least that's what the commercials made you think.

People in the masses want to be unique, and they all go out and buy what makes them unique until they are all the same again. People are starting to clammer about how the iPhone isn't new any more, they're just refreshes and upgrades. It a cycle, and RIM should position itself to be on deck next...

Everyone has delays, RIM picked a bad time to have one.

Market the heck out of this new OS, but do it right, with crafty ads, leading up to release, and ramp it up after.
    I don't think marketing is important in this situation - today's marketing world is a more social and interactive place than an old school expensive commercial and billboard kind of place. If I had the cure to cancer and proved that it cured all forms of cancers... I wouldn't have to say much to many people before the whole world knew and was booting down my door (maybe literally) to get it.

If you design and create excellence, the word will spread (automagically). If the Best Buy employees LOVED the demo units they were sent... they would buy them, and convince their customers it's the newest and greatest thing - "even I use it". You could even recommend it to a friend without them laughing at you. The issue here has been a failure to do just that. As of right now, RIM should be focusing on developing the most impressive product it possibly can to impress it's reviewers, doubters, purchasers and investors instead of dumping money into dumb commercials.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 07-09-12 at 04:45 PM.
    07-09-12 04:40 PM
    You are still making assumptions about how you use your device compared to what RIM employee use case is.

From reading your other post, it would seem some of your non productive experience is an inability to use a touch screen keyboard effectively. I understand that. But that's your mileage.

Whether you want to believe it or not, iPhones are being used in business. Work is getting done.
    Honestly everything he said made to much sense for you to understand. Nobody said the iphone isn't being used in businesses. (off topic) blackberry will always be the first choice among any device no matter how many doom and bloom articles or marketshare. (on topic) try using a email that's set up with go daddy let's see how much work you get done on your iphone with that email. Btw blackberry users know how to use touchscreens, what he meant was he had to adjust the phone to his liking just like blackberry users do to they berries that's why some people hang on they berries for so long it's to productive to a point we can tell how long it takes to do anything on it etc compared to the time it takes on a iphone.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-09-12 07:33 PM
    I don't think marketing is important in this situation - today's marketing world is a more social and interactive place than an old school expensive commercial and billboard kind of place. If I had the cure to cancer and proved that it cured all forms of cancers... I wouldn't have to say much to many people before the whole world knew and was booting down my door (maybe literally) to get it.

If you design and create excellence, the word will spread (automagically). If the Best Buy employees LOVED the demo units they were sent... they would buy them, and convince their customers it's the newest and greatest thing - "even I use it". You could even recommend it to a friend without them laughing at you. The issue here has been a failure to do just that. As of right now, RIM should be focusing on developing the most impressive product it possibly can to impress it's reviewers, doubters, purchasers and investors instead of dumping money into dumb commercials.
    Marketing for RIM is very important matter fact every company. They downfall was showing bb10 so early and chopping the legs from under bb7. Even with an amazing marketing campaign and competitive device blogs and other platform users along with silly analyst who know nothing will still shoot this company down. I have never seen a company that gets punished like this.
    07-09-12 07:41 PM
    I worked at wendys for years when I was younger, love it!
    07-09-12 07:44 PM
    Do you know why Wendy's has square patties????? They don't cut corners on quality!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-09-12 07:56 PM
    Do you know why Wendy's has square patties????? They don't cut corners on quality!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Do you know why the Curve is called thw curve? Me neither.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk 2
    07-09-12 08:51 PM

In theory I absolutely agree, let the product speak for itself.

Today though, and in this case for RIM, I believe a strong and crafty ad campaign is critical. No doubt that the device must be fantastic, and be able to hold its ground among its competitors, but the current state I believe deems a strong ad campaign in tandem with a game changing OS..

But, I'm an engineer, not a marketing executive, so who am I to say what's right....
    07-09-12 10:20 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD