I know that everyone has been clamoring for the new OS upgrade. I wanted to know if anyone who has used the beta release of 4.5 can let us know what they think of docs to go. I am running OS 4.3 already, so I am most intested in that particular feature. I would say that other than html email viewing, that a good native docs program is the most overdue feature to be added.
    05-15-08 12:54 PM
    I have used DataViz for several years with palm and my treo. I swear by it and will own it as soon as it's available for my 8830.. Excellent create/edit capabilities for .doc/.xls files and will also read .pdf. Seems to be efficient and fast code. Just my pennies..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-08 04:39 PM
    I also have been using the Docs to Go suite on a Palm Treo 650 and a Treo 700p for some time now. The .doc and .xls files are truly compatible with Office 2003. I'm sure DataViz has everything in place to be compatible with Office 2007 by now.

I use the spreadsheet program every day to track personal stuff on a daily basis, and having those spreadsheets right on my phone is a great convenience. Worth the cost just for that, imho. (free when you purchase a Treo, btw)

However, because most of my other word docs and spreadsheets are several pages long, the smartphone's small screen is a bit too limiting. I now prefer storing everything else on Google Docs and access it with a laptop. Not quite as convenient as having my files in my pocket (on the phone), but it's much easier to work on a laptop than a phone.
    Last edited by butcherbird; 05-17-08 at 03:45 AM.
    05-17-08 03:37 AM
    DocsToGO on 4.5 just does Word and PowerPoint.

Excel is not there. You have to buy the product to get that. pdf files are not supported either. I have written to DataViz asking if they would be prepared to support pdf files and they say that I was, by far, not the first to ask and that they are 'looking at it'. Don't hold yer breath.
    05-17-08 04:24 AM
    DocsToGO on 4.5 just does Word and PowerPoint.

Excel is not there. You have to buy the product to get that.
    That is most unfortunate considering everything is free with a Treo.

Will be interesting to see what the price is. I noticed earlier today that the price of eOffice dropped from $99 to $60-something. Guess they're getting ready for the new competition.
    05-17-08 04:44 AM
    Excel is not there. You have to buy the product to get that.
    That's not exactly true; Excel isn't there in the 4.5 update, however you will get Excel later.

From RIM's press release on January 22: "Microsoft Office Word and PowerPoint files will be supported in conjunction with BlackBerry device software v4.5 and Microsoft Excel files will be supported in conjunction with a subsequent software release expected later in the year."

Jason C. -
    mobileofficeblog.dataviz.com
    05-19-08 07:37 AM
    That's not exactly true; Excel isn't there in the 4.5 update, however you will get Excel later.

From RIM's press release on January 22: "Microsoft Office Word and PowerPoint files will be supported in conjunction with BlackBerry device software v4.5 and Microsoft Excel files will be supported in conjunction with a subsequent software release expected later in the year."

Jason C. -
    JWC,
    Thanks for the clarification. One other matter needs clarifying, please. I've been told that Docs to Go on the blackberry will be for file viewing, not editing. I find this extremely hard to believe considering what Docs to Go does on our Treo phones.

Please confirm that Docs to Go on the blackberry will allow us to edit and save .doc, .xls, and .ppt files.

Thank you!
    05-19-08 08:44 PM
    Please confirm that Docs to Go on the blackberry will allow us to edit and save .doc, .xls, and .ppt files.
    You will absolutely be able to edit your .doc, .xls and .ppt files (as well as the Office 2007 formats).

The Documents To Go product manager did a live demo at WES; there's a youtube clip of it if you'd like to see how it works.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xy1k1W7Xk6s (sorry, I haven't posted enough times to use a link yet so you'll have to paste this)

Jason C. -
    05-20-08 07:56 AM
    thanks, jwc!
    05-20-08 09:50 AM
    Great news indeed. I am very happy to have been wrong.

Someone in another thred was saying that they thought the Blackberry version of DataViz could be somewhat disadvantaged because the phone does not have a touch screen and that DataViz's target phones mostly do.

Anyone got any opinions or experience to share?
    05-20-08 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD