Hi,

I just got thinking about how datasmart is used with BlackBerry's, by using RIM's NOC to compress data before it is sent to the BB be it web browsing, video streaming or audio streaming etc. And was thinking how do we know that RIM isn't using this and BIS to log, and save on their servers everything someone does with their BB, like web browsing, or their facebook or twitter activities? I would like to believe that RIM would not do such a thing as to track their users, but I'm not totally sure. I sometimes think of datasmart, and everything having to go through BIS/NOC a little creepy. I'm the kind of person that likes to keep my web browsing, facebook, twitter, youtube, and any other service activity between me, and the server at the other end, not being tracked or logged by the proxy in the middle. So, I was just wondering what your guys thoughts are on datasmart, do you think RIM is tracking or logging data in a personally identifiable way, do you think it's creepy at all how everything goes through BIS/NOC, or am I the only one?
    Last edited by blue_k; 01-24-13 at 03:28 AM.
    01-24-13 03:01 AM
    IDK, have you read the TOS
    01-24-13 04:07 AM
    Yes, RIM's privacy policy does state:
    "General usage data: In some cases, information like technical properties and general usage information of software and hardware utilized in conjunction with a RIM Offering might be processed when you use such products, services or software (e.g. type of web browser, referring or exit web pages, operating system version, hardware model of your device or personal computer platform, IP address), or when you use a RIM troubleshooting tool (e.g. basic usage statistics or information about your device including event logs, application configurations, battery life, radio or Wi-Fi signal levels, device reset and memory or system performance information)."

It also states this however:
    "RIM retains personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of RIM's identified purposes or as otherwise necessary to comply with applicable laws. When personal information is no longer necessary or relevant for RIM's identified purposes, or required by applicable laws, RIM will take steps to have it deleted, destroyed, erased, aggregated or made anonymous. Consistent with good business practice, RIM continues to evolve our controls, schedules and practices for information and records retention and destruction which apply to your personal information."

This makes me believe that they do not log this information, as a users data activity most likely is of no interest to RIM.
    01-24-13 04:30 AM