Alright foks I've had blackberry since the 8330, 9220, 9930, and now the Q10 and still luv it.

But I have got a few questions, maybe someone would be so kind and help me out:

1) Is there a end to end encryption with bbm? or is anybody able to check out my messages?
    2) Once a week I do a full back up over BBLink. If someone would find the file on my PC. Could someone use the data? ( I have got a full encrytion on my Q10 and use screenpassword with my Q10. Im not able to secure the data with a password. With my other / oder BB I was able to secure the backup file with a password

Data-security is one of the highes topic with my mobile .

Thanks guys
    03-22-14 05:30 PM
    I'm on a Bold 9650, and I'm with you on data security, op. It's of the utmost importance.

I read recently that BB10 Link backups are in fact encrypted, but the difference is that BlackBerry Desktop Software allows you to choose to encrypt the backup and choose your own password for the backup. With BlackBerry 10 you can't choose your own password for the backup you make with Link. Hopefully Link will improve, and this feature will be added.
    03-22-14 05:56 PM
    03-22-14 06:01 PM
    True cos whats the point in having a encrypted mobile with anybody can use the file. and by now everybody knows that it isnt that hard to get the file.....So I dont really get it. BB should improve the security and promote it! then they would sell mobiles again!!
    03-22-14 06:07 PM
    What do you mean that BBM delivers on both? Is it safe or is it like "whats app" ?Should I rather use Threema?
    I luv BBM, but I want it to be safe
    03-22-14 06:13 PM
    BBM is scrambled when messages go from/to BlackBerry devices (BBOS + BB10).
    There is a master key that is burned into all blackberry smartphones.
    The same key is used to encrypt/decrypt all BBM messages.
    If the key is stolen then _all_ BBM messages will be decrypted.

If you send/receive BBM messages from Android or iPhone then there's no protection.
    I guess there's some encryption on messages going across platforms but that likely happen with auto-generated keys and can't be trusted.
    MADBRADNYC and zephyr613 like this.
    03-22-14 06:19 PM
    Cheers thx now even I understand it
    But is your answer confirmed by BB or just a guess by urself?
    03-22-14 06:50 PM
    No! BlackBerry devices have no security whatsoever.
    BBM messages can be decrypted by a 6 year old with an Etch-A-Sketch!

So with that said, can everyone please send their BlackBerry devices to me?
    I wouldn't want anyone to worry about this all the time. I will take great care of them.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 03-22-14 at 09:05 PM.
    03-22-14 08:53 PM
    03-22-14 08:59 PM
    ok, so there is no encrytion at all on BBM. Does anybody know an alternativ to bbm with encrytion. I really want to get keep my q10. I luv it.

Oh, btw does anybody know if my backup file is safe ?
    03-23-14 10:47 AM
    ok, so there is no encrytion at all on BBM. Does anybody know an alternativ to bbm with encrytion. I really want to get keep my q10. I luv it.

It is encrypted with a public key. Any man-in-middle interception can de ode your messages. Not sure if the other 200 or so threads explained it clear enough. Probably did. Backup file is safe. To restore it, link has to be signed into your bbid.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-23-14 11:11 AM

It's not that BlackBerry devices have "no encryption at all on BBM" in communication with other BlackBerry devices.
    The messages have a "weaker" type of encryption called "scrambling" when not using BES.
    There is only no encryption when communicating with other platforms because BlackBerry has no control over their production to insert these "keys".

If you are performing back ups in public internet cafe's, be assured that your back ups are obviously not safe.
    Your back up files or anything else saved on your own personal PC are only as safe as the security measures you implement in your own home.
    If you allow someone you don't know hours of unmonitored time on your home computer, it's possible someone could capture your back ups on a thumb drive or something.
    Then they could possibly try to back engineer the file folder. But who does that? They need your BBID!!!
    It's also very highly unlikely if you secure your home prior to leaving.
    I would venture to say that if someone breaks into your home, they are stealing the whole computer, not for the data it contains, but for the value of re-sale.
    Unless you are a known high level government official, known to have sensitive data, no one wants to steal your computer for your kid's baby pictures.

True security is up to the person that retains the data, anyway.
    That's why we have password on our devices and/or our PC's.
    BlackBerry devices have he ability to deny permissions. Don't tell anyone your password or BBID.
    Or, you could just avoid downloading everything under the sun in the first place.
    We have locks on our house doors, windows, cars, and places of employment.
    People should have the sense to not allow untrusted others on your PC unless it is partitioned for that use.
    If you control the things you can, you can control your data.

Keep your Q10. It's a wonderful device. Security breaches for the most part are found when people are looking for those breaches.
    They don't usually come across breaches trying to actually steal someone's data. It's the platform itself that is normally brute forced.
    This applies even to applications. Hackers don't usually find holes by trying to steal a specific person's data.
    They find these holes by basically back engineering the product, then tell the world about how unsafe it is.

Hope it helps in your decision to keep your Q10.
    However, the offer stands, and I will gladly accept it if you don't trust it.
    03-23-14 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD