Can anyone pls tell a new Blackberry user if the phone features will still function as a regular cell phone if there is no data package subscription? I like the phone but have no use for the internet or email features that I pay an extra $30 a month for and want to use just the phone features. A Verizon rep says the phone will not work without the data package. Truth or sales pitch? Thanks.
    06-25-09 07:25 PM
    Can anyone pls tell a new Blackberry user if the phone features will still function as a regular cell phone if there is no data package subscription? I like the phone but have no use for the internet or email features that I pay an extra $30 a month for and want to use just the phone features. A Verizon rep says the phone will not work without the data package. Truth or sales pitch? Thanks.
    The carriers have now made the move to "no data plan...no BlackBerry". This is true for some carriers on some smartphones. T-Mobile requires you to have the BIS with the 8900 and the Android data plan (Google) with the G1. I'm sure other carriers are doing the same.
    06-25-09 07:30 PM
    Yes it will, however Verizon will not sell you a BlackBerry
    without a data plan
    06-25-09 07:30 PM
    I already have the phone. I was just going to cancel my data package if the phone will still work without it?
    06-25-09 07:37 PM
    That is correct. You can not activate it unless it has a.data plan on verizons network. I think att let's you have a bb without a data plan. Verizon has it set up that way because the internet is ran through blackberrys personal internet server (not verizons) therefore blackberry gets a kick back from verizon for letting them do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 07:39 PM
    Verizon doesn't have its own BIS?
    06-25-09 07:40 PM
    I already have the phone. I was just going to cancel my data package if the phone will still work without it?
    If your service rep is saying "no" then that's your answer. But, if you already have the phone tell them that. They may activate your phone just for voice use. But, remember there will be no texting either.
    06-25-09 07:41 PM
    Thanks for your help!
    06-25-09 07:43 PM
    Blackberry uses verizon for its network (making calls texting, tethering, mobile broadband). Blackberry has its own internet server which is not in any part a subsidary of verizon.

06-25-09 07:46 PM
    Oh and No you can not use your blackberry for ANYTHING if you do not have a data plan with it.

06-25-09 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD