I'm planning on getting a curve 8900 or bold 9000 with Rogers in Canada, and will be doing quite a bit of calling to the US. I want to skip the home phone, but will be working from home, so I'll have pretty consistent access to wi-fi, and also a good data plan from Rogers.

So here's what's confusing me: I want to use my blackberry for VoIP calling. Seems like it should be simple, but every service that I see described as a VoIP solution for blackberries is just a callback service, and not VoIP at all... I still need to call out to them for the number (using my voice plan), and get a call in return (using my voice plan). I don't want to do that.

Is it possible to make calls on a blackberry using only data (and not GSM voice) access?

Thanks!
    01-16-09 12:52 PM
    As far as I know there aren't any VOIP solutions for the bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 01:57 PM
    Not yet no, sorry.
    01-16-09 01:58 PM
    I believe the TMobile 8900 will be able to make VoIP calls, with the Wifi @ Home option, which I BELEVE they change extra for.

Other Wifi enabled BBs are not without hope (us VZW folks are!!!) because a 3rd Party App can possibly add this function.
    01-16-09 02:21 PM
    Rats. I guess the best bet for frequent long-distance, then, will be something like this bfree callback, and just make sure I have unlimited incoming on my plan.

bfreemobile.com/services-bfree-unlimited-call-plans-c-28_29.html

It seems strange to me that there are so many VoIP options, and so many mobiles with WiFi, and so little overlap between them!
    01-17-09 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD