Looks like Amazon might not be the right workplace for everyone.
    Good as a springboard, but apparently most don't last long there, and they're not supposed to, I guess.

Do we want to give such corporation our full support? Do their workplace ethics matter to us if their customer service is still top-notch? Would WE want to work there...?

:-D

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/te...workplace.html

This article has created some buzz.

(edit: I think it's relevant, because it's 1/2 of our appstore selection right here)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-20-15 05:20 PM
    Interesting, taking a look now

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-20-15 05:26 PM
    It's a numbers / sales business.

 Classic
    08-20-15 07:33 PM
    I'm willing to bet BlackBerry's Mexico and China (Foxconn) factories aren't in the best shape either...

But that's just the reality of the business, no one company is innocent of it.
    Cynycl and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-20-15 08:05 PM
    Not only am I unwilling to support such businesses, I feel that people who work there should be sued. Hundreds of years of worker rights and safety being thrown out by the precedent being set by fools such as these. Just because they may be idiots who don't mind indentured servitude, does not mean the rest of us will stand for it.

I have never used Amazon and I never will. It can gtfo my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    lactose and lift like this.
    08-23-15 08:10 AM
    Not only am I unwilling to support such businesses, I feel that people who work there should be sued. Hundreds of years of worker rights and safety being thrown out by the precedent being set by fools such as these. Just because they may be idiots who don't mind indentured servitude, does not mean the rest of us will stand for it.

I have never used Amazon and I never will. It can gtfo my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Then you need to stop supporting practically every business out there.

I see nothing wrong with the article other than it seems it's more of a "he said she said" opinion article without much proof. BS happens in every business. I've seen women being treated wrongfully from their bosses just because they're women...sad part is, the boss is female and treats the male employees with full respect.

I think the weak minded need to man up

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 08:43 AM
    What an ugly company ethos, particularly as it is in the pursuit of delivering consumerist junk more efficiently. It's essentially an unimportant service.

Take a step back. Sure, I admire the work ethos on one level. But at the same time, we only live for how long? Why waste time pressing these "ideals" upon anyone? Look at countries with happier citizens, it's not like Amazon. I'd rather people be happy than have drone deliveries.

I'm glad the Fire Phone failed so miserably. 5 cameras on the front? I don't trust them. I hope Amazon doesn't completely kill local shopping.

Posted via CB10
    lift and Tatwi like this.
    08-24-15 05:24 PM
    What an ugly company ethos, particularly as it is in the pursuit of delivering consumerist junk more efficiently. It's essentially an unimportant service.

Take a step back. Sure, I admire the work ethos on one level. But at the same time, we only live for how long? Why waste time pressing these "ideals" upon anyone? Look at countries with happier citizens, it's not like Amazon. I'd rather people be happy than have drone deliveries.

I'm glad the Fire Phone failed so miserably. 5 cameras on the front? I don't trust them. I hope Amazon doesn't completely kill local shopping.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but over here in Australia it's mainly eBay, with cheap junk directly from China.

Looks like gov't has spotted a revenue source, and ask (edit: want to introduce) a 10% GST charge on these imports now. Anything under $1000 AUD was free of sales tax on import...

Amazon hasn't taken off here, too remote, I suppose. Shipping cost. It's eBay instead.

A letter from China with a cheap USB cable inside is cheaper than a local letter. Go figure. :-D

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 08-24-15 at 05:47 PM.
    08-24-15 05:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    In essence, these values ultimately kill off any humanity. Make, gain, optimize, consume, buy, perform, rate, judge, assess, lay off, dispose off...

A balance between healthy drive to achieve and love to give & spend time with others is what makes us who we are and should be...

:-)

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    lift likes this.
    08-24-15 05:37 PM
    This might not be about the employees but about us and data tracking. They are so desperate that they created "Amazon Underground" (even the name made me supicious) and are asking us to turn on data tracking in order for us to get free apps.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-26-15 11:27 AM
    It is encouraging to at least see these questions starting to be asked. Most people lack the ability to think that a purchase they want may support slave labor, a company with psychopaths in leadership, a company that routinely engages in fraud and is at the end of the day a cancer on society. This unfortunate lack of reasoning has allowed our capitalism to run off into a ditch and become a monster. I pick a few companies that I think are extremely bad and avoid them, it's a start. In the end, it is just an unfortunate by-product of our cognitive intelligence (can we do it ?) outstripping our ethical / interpersonal intelligence (should be do it). My ex worked at Amazon btw, she nothing good to say about it.
    lift likes this.
    08-26-15 12:58 PM
    It is encouraging to at least see these questions starting to be asked. Most people lack the ability to think that a purchase they want may support slave labor, a company with psychopaths in leadership, a company that routinely engages in fraud and is at the end of the day a cancer on society. This unfortunate lack of reasoning has allowed our capitalism to run off into a ditch and become a monster. I pick a few companies that I think are extremely bad and avoid them, it's a start. In the end, it is just an unfortunate by-product of our cognitive intelligence (can we do it ?) outstripping our ethical / interpersonal intelligence (should be do it). My ex worked at Amazon btw, she nothing good to say about it.
    Is Amazon really that bad? Can you give me any examples? Not specifics. I'm just curious, as I'd like to begin purchasing directly from companies or supporting companies that are ethically more sound. Maybe supporting more local shops. I'm not the most savvy about this stuff, but purchasing books on my kindle always has me feeling a bit dirty.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 04:24 PM
    In an effort to create a streamlined business that performs well, it would appear as if they haven't adequately accounted for human nature (the anonymous feedback system) and have engaged in some practices that are straight off the slave plantation (no a/c in a warehouse and a fleet of ambulances to run workers to the ER when they drop?).

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-28-15 12:41 PM
    In an effort to create a streamlined business that performs well, it would appear as if they haven't adequately accounted for human nature (the anonymous feedback system) and have engaged in some practices that are straight off the slave plantation (no a/c in a warehouse and a fleet of ambulances to run workers to the ER when they drop?).

Posted via CB10
    That's ridiculous. Inhumane. :-(

Also, who would want to buy that stuff that's been cooking in such hothouse? Electronics and most of all lithium batteries go bad when exposed to too much heat over extended periods...

lift likes this.
    09-02-15 03:49 AM
    That's ridiculous. Inhumane. :-(

Also, who would want to buy that stuff that's been cooking in such hothouse? Electronics and most of all lithium batteries go bad when exposed to too much heat over extended periods...

Good point. Same with food product.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    09-02-15 04:51 AM
    Working at Amazon is optional, if someone doesn't like their practices they can choose to leave.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    09-10-15 07:43 AM
    Working at Amazon is optional, if someone doesn't like their practices they can choose to leave.

Posted via CB10
    By that logic there should be no labor laws, right?

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime and lift like this.
    09-10-15 10:53 AM
    I think the weak minded need to man up
    It's a job. You work to live. You don't live to work. Quality of life should be the most important thing in anyone's life. You ONLY have ONE life to live and I for one will not be some slave to any company. Life is hard enough every day without being some pawn to some CEO who gives a sh** about nothing but work and money. People and companies like that make me sick.
    Glad I have done very little business with Amazon and from now on, I am never doing business with them again.
    LuvULongTime and Tatwi like this.
    09-10-15 11:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    Such care and concern for your fellow human. Sigh...
    lift likes this.
    09-11-15 07:01 AM
    It's a job. You work to live. You don't live to work. Quality of life should be the most important thing in anyone's life. You ONLY have ONE life to live and I for one will not be some slave to any company. Life is hard enough every day without being some pawn to some CEO who gives a sh** about nothing but work and money. People and companies like that make me sick.
    Glad I have done very little business with Amazon and from now on, I am never doing business with them again.
    Sound great!

Sadly I'm not sure that many people in the world have the option to go find another job..... so in a way are forced to "salve" for the company, or they and their family suffer.
    09-11-15 12:29 PM
    Sound great!

Sadly I'm not sure that many people in the world have the option to go find another job..... so in a way are forced to "salve" for the company, or they and their family suffer.
    Well stay in school and upgrade your skills.

Or as Caddyshack so eloquently pointed out ........ The world needs ditch diggers too.

Last I checked Amazon wasn't shipping slaves to the USA so I think this is all sanctimonious bullchit meant to tug at your Sally Struthers heartstrings.

People don't like it let them better themselves. Last I heard the USA was the land of opportunity and I've yet to hear of one refugee coming from there.
    09-11-15 12:40 PM
    By that logic there should be no labor laws, right?

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure Amazon is subject to labour laws. You want better labour conditions, elect better politicians
    09-11-15 12:41 PM
    You want better labour conditions, elect better politicians
    Oh right. I Can elect better politicians all by myself.
    09-11-15 03:06 PM
    Oh right. I Can elect better politicians all by myself.
    I'm fairly certain you aren't capable of anything on your own ....... other than fear mongering based on something you read on the internet.

Enjoy your z30 and move along

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    09-11-15 04:12 PM
    I'm pretty sure Amazon is subject to labour laws. You want better labour conditions, elect better politicians
    You missed my point. Not everyone has the luxury of having the option to quit and pick up another job so easily. And the economy wouldn't work right now if everyone were super-educated.

And a related concern: at some point we'll have marginally skilled, minimally educated people who simply don't fit into society's job market due to robotics and automation. At that point, a basic income will become a necessity I believe. What will people say then?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 09-12-15 at 02:43 AM.
    09-11-15 04:17 PM
43 12