I recently switched off ATT to save some money with Sprint. I have taken for granted how much data I transmitted while on the phone. It is really driving me crazy; has anyone else made a similar switch and just gotten use to it, or have I errored in coming off ATT?
    12-17-09 09:04 PM
    if its that much of a deal breaker for you, either switch to a phone with wifi or back to ATT
    12-17-09 09:15 PM
    I would go nuts also, especially when receiving long calls from boring people. That is the only way I able to go through something like that! Hey what's better than surfing the web and bbm'ing when talk to uncle Joe from Babalooz? Nothing in my opinion! LOL
    12-17-09 09:27 PM
    Its one of the two reasons I stay with AT&T..the other reason is the BOLD 9000

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 09:31 PM
    Sprint is still around?
    12-17-09 11:55 PM
    Yeah, UMA is great for that too.
    12-18-09 08:28 AM
    I love UMA with a passion :-)

12-18-09 08:52 AM
    Thats the problem with big red, its not a real 3g more of a 2.5
    12-20-09 06:55 PM
    Just wondering ... Is the data transmission as fast on GSM as it is on CDMA?

12-20-09 06:59 PM
    Thats the problem with big red, its not a real 3g more of a 2.5
    where does it say that 3g is measured by the ability to talk and surf simultaneously? 3g is the speed of the network, not the ability to simultaneously talk and have data. Honestly i don't care what network you support but get your facts right before posting propaganda.
    12-20-09 07:00 PM
    where does it say that 3g is measured by the ability to talk and surf simultaneously? 3g is the speed of the network, not the ability to simultaneously talk and have data. Honestly i don't care what network you support but get your facts right before posting propaganda.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a family of standards for mobile telecommunications defined by the International Telecommunication Union,[1] which includes GSM EDGE, UMTS, and CDMA2000 as well as DECT and WiMAX. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephone, video calls, and wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.0 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+).
    Thus, 3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency.

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) defined the third generation (3G) of mobile telephony standards � IMT-2000 � to facilitate growth, increase bandwidth, and support more diverse applications. For example, GSM (the current most popular cellular phone standard) could deliver not only voice, but also circuit-switched data at download rates up to 14.4 kbps. But to support mobile multimedia applications, 3G had to deliver packet-switched data with better spectral efficiency, at far greater bandwidths.

Last edited by Mamaluka; 12-20-09 at 07:48 PM.
    12-20-09 07:45 PM
    Again more propaganda. This information is based on GSM technology. And we all know that wikipedia information is gospel. Any ***** with a few facts and an account can edit their information. Keep waving your att flag. I don't even want. To turn this into a carrier war because I'm only loyal to who suits my needs. AT the moment its Verizon tomorrow it could be t mobile.

12-20-09 07:56 PM
    Nobody's waving any flags here...you made a statement that the ability to have simultaneous voice and data is NOT 3G, and that is 100% false. End of story.
    Google "simultaneous voice and data" for yourself and enjoy the read.

12-20-09 08:54 PM
    Listen, 3G just stands for the third generation of speed and technology when it comes to phones. On the GSM network, you can do both, on the CDMA network you can't, but there are other pluses to that network. Don't call those networks, LESSER because they aren't GSM.

Data and voice...the speed....all varies within your area. So check your coverage map, and ask around friends who have what you want, ATT smartphones, or Sprint Smartphones
    12-20-09 09:34 PM
    So, assuming coverage is equal, which network, GSM or CDMA, is faster for data, and what are some advantages of CDMA? (I'm on CDMA, and apparently simultaneous voice and data isn't one of them.)

12-20-09 10:44 PM
    Typically GSM is faster. CDMA is typically better at handling volume of calls/data.
    12-21-09 07:28 AM
    So, assuming coverage is equal, which network, GSM or CDMA, is faster for data, and what are some advantages of CDMA? (I'm on CDMA, and apparently simultaneous voice and data isn't one of them.)

there are so many variables to consider when answering this question. What phone you are using, if you are inside or outside, etc. For the most part,
    AT&T is the fastest 3g network so your speeds will be marginally faster on AT&T but how consistent the 3g service is, is another question. If i get off verizon, i'm going to t-mobile. they have been rapidly expanding their 3g service and have the UMA feature.
    12-21-09 08:50 AM
    Nobody's waving any flags here...you made a statement that the ability to have simultaneous voice and data is NOT 3G, and that is 100% false. End of story.
    Google "simultaneous voice and data" for yourself and enjoy the read.

Well I for one agree with mamaluka. A question was posted and mamaluka replied with information from source that is dedicated to accurate info.it is sad to see him/her berated for answer the question.

12-21-09 01:48 PM
    no one is saying that the support of voice and data simultaneously is not a advantage of 3g, but that is only on gsm networks. the problem i have is when you say that another service that does not allow simultaneous voice and data is not 3g. totally false. No one is berating anyone else but provide the facts before calling verizon and sprint 2.5 g. it would have been much more neutral for him to state that verizon and sprint do not support simultaneous voice and data (a fact that we all know) instead of taking it a step further to criticize.
    12-21-09 02:14 PM
    what are the pluses to CDMA over GSM? I am not suggesting that there are not any, just an honest question?
    12-24-09 09:04 AM
    I recently switched off ATT to save some money with Sprint. I have taken for granted how much data I transmitted while on the phone. It is really driving me crazy; has anyone else made a similar switch and just gotten use to it, or have I errored in coming off ATT?
    Go to T-Mobile and get a 9700. You'll have a better network than either Sprint or AT&T and you'll get the best pricing in the business.
    12-24-09 12:11 PM
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned that everyone complaining about data speeds on gsm vs cdma is wrong from the beginning. GSM is the voice network and EDGE/HSPA is the data. That's why att can do both. Cdma can't since cdma actually carries both voice and data and can only do one at a time.

12-24-09 03:59 PM
    I am pretty sure if you are in an EDGE area or a "non 3G" area for ATT that data and voice simultaneously is NOT possible?
    12-26-09 08:33 PM
    I am pretty sure if you are in an EDGE area or a "non 3G" area for ATT that data and voice simultaneously is NOT possible?
    Correct only a GSM-3G signal or UMA (T-Mobile US only with a T-Mobile device) will support both voice and data at the same time.

12-27-09 08:02 AM
    i can honestly say i dont think i'll ever leave at&t... simultaneous voice/data usage is the best thing since whatever the last best thing
    12-27-09 08:11 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD