Ok... N4BB said it won't come. A more than reliable BlackBerry source said "not true". That just can't get any clearer. The mode will come, the power savings the dark mode can provide will be Q10 only.

It's quite simple really.
    If we base the information from the tweet exchange:

"Hey is it true? No Dark mode for Z10 due to LED screen?"

"Not true"

Or in other words:

"Is there no dark mode for the z10 because of the LED screen?"

"It is not true that there is no dark mode for the z10 because of the LED screen"

That's all I'm saying. To me, this tweet exchange is unclear.
    03-28-13 12:25 PM
    If we base the information from the tweet exchange:

"Hey is it true? No Dark mode for Z10 due to LED screen?"

"Not true"

Or in other words:

"Is there no dark mode for the z10 because of the LED screen?"

"It is not true that there is no dark mode for the z10 because of the LED screen"

That's all I'm saying. To me, this tweet exchange is unclear.
    By all means, do contact him and get a clearer response then.
    03-28-13 12:33 PM
    Apps can be light on either device and dark on either device. Its entirely up to the dev.

Instructions are https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...tic_asset.html
    Yeah, but if the dev does not specify, then the apps theme inherits from the default theme of the device, so if the option is made available to change the default theme OS wide, then devs should probably start updating their apps to explicitly state which theme to use if they don't already.

My Xbox app for example, does not explicitly state which theme to use, so on my Dev Alpha C, it uses the black theme (and looks mighty horrid if I do say so myself ), so along with UI updates for the smaller screen, I have to update it to use the light theme on all devices.
    03-28-13 12:40 PM
    Yeah, but if the dev does not specify, then the apps theme inherits from the default theme of the device, so if the option is made available to change the default theme OS wide, then devs should probably start updating their apps to explicitly state which theme to use if they don't already.

My Xbox app for example, does not explicitly state which theme to use, so on my Dev Alpha C, it uses the black theme (and looks mighty horrid if I do say so myself ), so along with UI updates for the smaller screen, I have to update it to use the light theme on all devices.

You can actually specify by screen size, theme, or both, when using your assets. So you should be able to do a light/dark theme selection I would think. I am not that great a programmer so others would have to take that question.
    03-28-13 12:44 PM
    hmm that doesn't make sense. At 1.6 microwatts vs 1.0 your basically loosing any advantages you had by going OLED. If this ends up being their final power consumption, they may of well of gone LCD3 My guess would be they have yet to optimise BB10.1
    What do you think?
    I think you just missed the part where I warned that I hadn't tried to ensure the two screens had the same actual brightness to my eyes. 100% on both is quite different in terms of actual brightness. I need to control for that in any real comparison.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 01:18 PM
    You can actually specify by screen size, theme, or both, when using your assets. So you should be able to do a light/dark theme selection I would think. I am not that great a programmer so others would have to take that question.
    You can style your content based on what theme is in use, yes. So you can say (In code, obviously) "if theme equals dark, make this font colour blue".

In the case of my apps, I'd rather force light/dark themes. At least for my two specific apps. for more generic apps, it may not be a big issue, but my 500px app forces the Dark theme, and I think (know) it wouldn't look as good with the light theme, and my xbox app is too colourful for the dark theme IMO, and i'd rather keep the colours and force the light theme than to use alternate styling with the dark theme.
    03-28-13 02:42 PM
    By all means, do contact him and get a clearer response then.
    BlackBerry never communicates clearly. Everything they say or write can be interpreted multiple ways. These folks are worse than politicians.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-28-13 10:39 PM
    Whatever. Dark theme or not......getting two online.....Monday. I'll order online because I wouldn't want to burden the local at&t CS that are clueless anyway.....especially about what to do regarding setup and transfer of files, etc..
    03-30-13 01:04 AM
    I think you just missed the part where I warned that I hadn't tried to ensure the two screens had the same actual brightness to my eyes. 100% on both is quite different in terms of actual brightness. I need to control for that in any real comparison.

Posted via CB10
    haha your right I did miss that part
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-30-13 08:51 PM
    What is dark mode

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    03-30-13 08:53 PM
    What is dark mode
    It should be called a theme, really, not a mode. Best way to show is an example.

Run BlackBerry World and look at the general appearance of things, including its settings menu. That's "dark".

Now run, say, Contacts and do the same... that's "bright" or "light".

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 09:38 PM
    So its a dark theme basically

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    03-30-13 09:43 PM
    so glad itll be available, all black theme is so much classier.. it's a shame it doesn't effect the hub though
    03-31-13 12:56 PM
    The Z10 is not a priority for "blacked out" themes because of its LCD screens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OLED (on the Q10) and "blacked out" applications would increase the battery life because the "black pixels" are just pixels that aren't lit up at all.
    That would mean that the Z10 IS priority for the Dark Theme...
    03-31-13 01:01 PM
    How to set system wide dark theme in z10.I'm on 10.2.1.1055 now.
    11-19-13 06:15 AM
40 12