N4BB just said that the Z10 won't be getting the Dark Mode.

So, before the rumor goes crazy, here is what a little bird told me.

Dark Mode coming to the Z10-img_00000001.png

Posted via CB10
    brian_peterson and SK122387 like this.
    03-27-13 10:22 AM
    lol @ I hate n4bb
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    03-27-13 10:26 AM
    Why must sites do the rumor thing.... best to do what the OP did... go to BB or the developer... if no answer than work with the idea it is not coming....
    03-27-13 10:56 AM
    Devs can already use the dark theme on Z10 apps for what it is worth. 10.1 will bring the dark theme.
    03-27-13 11:14 AM
    why wouldn't we be able to go with dark theme?? When Blackberry world is black themed.Sounded really dumb.
    03-27-13 11:18 AM
    The Z10 is not a priority for "blacked out" themes because of its LCD screens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OLED (on the Q10) and "blacked out" applications would increase the battery life because the "black pixels" are just pixels that aren't lit up at all.
    03-27-13 12:43 PM
    You are correct Nindia
    03-27-13 01:38 PM
    I understand that the dark mode does not bring the power consumption savings to the Z10 due to the LCD screen compared to the energy savings on the Q10 OLED screen. But if the man wants a dark theme, give him a dark theme!
    indie_b likes this.
    03-27-13 01:45 PM
    I understand that the dark mode does not bring the power consumption savings to the Z10 due to the LCD screen compared to the energy savings on the Q10 OLED screen. But if the man wants a dark theme, give him a dark theme!
    BlackBerry has always been "function over form". They wouldn't have even done a black theme if it didn't have any advantages.

One of the reasons why I have stuck with BlackBerry's over the years. They're all business.
    indie_b likes this.
    03-27-13 02:07 PM
    Like I always said n4bb just want to be first. Same site that said AT&T was launching the z10 on the 15

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 02:19 PM
    I have �news� for all of you� BlackBerry did not �waste money� on the ATT launch� There is not a sign in an ATT store, there is not a banner, they did not even spend money to create a more prominent placing of the Z 10 in the ATT stores�.

The question is �why�? Because I just stated �facts�.

Answer: Because it would have been a waste of money�.

BBRY knows that with �negativity around BBRY� at all time highs in the USA � you aren�t going to �win this round�. There is too much iTard media, iTard analysts, and iTard trolls to defeat on this round� Thorsten Heins mentioned an �Ali eigth round knock out� � or something to that effect� I get it now�.

While Z 10s are �selling out� in more favorable markets around the world, where they still love BBRY, the approach will be different int the states� Come out with the Z 10 � the BBRY �loyalists� know it is here and will buy it�. don�t spend money in ATT stores to �launch�� let the bashers come out and hate� wait them out aka �rope a dope� �.report better numbers � come out with Q 10 and have a couple of great phones in ATT stores with all kinds of free publicity and continue down the road to profitability�

Oh, and launch 4 more devices this year for varying segments.

Genius to be sure�. �Ali in the Eigth� � I get it�

BTW� like most business people � I ordered my new Z 10 on line� will be delivered to my office�. You would not have seen me in a �line�� like most �productive people� in this society � all indications are that sales have been fine in the US� �exceeding expectations� in many of the other 20 plus countries that Z 10 is out� and Q 10 aka �A True BlackBerry� will be launched this quarter�

We are going to find out who is �Right on BBRY� very soon�

I thought this was interesting
    03-27-13 02:19 PM
    BlackBerry has always been "function over form". They wouldn't have even done a black theme if it didn't have any advantages.

One of the reasons why I have stuck with BlackBerry's over the years. They're all business.
    They can be all business and be easy on my eyes. But what are we discussing now? Kinsella said it is not true. We will get it on the Z10.

I thought this was interesting
    I don't know if it is interesting but it is 110% off-topic, that's for sure.
    CDM76 and anon(3896606) like this.
    03-27-13 03:10 PM
    The Z10 is not a priority for "blacked out" themes because of its LCD screens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OLED (on the Q10) and "blacked out" applications would increase the battery life because the "black pixels" are just pixels that aren't lit up at all.
    Surprisingly enough, not all LCD screens use more power with black. Although it's common for black to use more, at the very least both the PlayBook and Dev Alpha A do use noticeably less power with an all-black screen (still turned on though) than with an all-white screen. It's significant enough to merit serious consideration from devs in apps which will be used for long periods, on battery, with the screen on.

I haven't measured this on the Z10 screen yet, but I'll do it right now. I'm sure it will be the same.

Yes, the Q10 will definitely benefit from it, powerwise. An even bigger reason to go "dark", however, is that OLED pixels are gradually "consumed", like a candle, over time. Having them constantly bright shortens their lives.
    03-27-13 06:20 PM
    Here's some initial data. Both had the brightness set to 100% for the test.

First the Z10:
    • All-black screen: 0.76W
    • All-white screen: 0.97W

Dev Alpha C (assuming for now it's same as Q10, with an OLED screen, but I don't know that for sure).
    • All-black screen: 0.34W
    • All-white screen: 0.82W

That shows that both use less power with black, though the Q10 uses, relatively and in absolute terms, much less.
    MoeR15, Korepab, BBPandy and 10 others like this.
    03-27-13 06:54 PM
    i thought the Z10 had an LCD screen not an LED
    03-27-13 10:01 PM

First the Z10:

Dev Alpha C (assuming for now it's same as Q10, with an OLED screen, but I don't know that for sure).

That shows that both use less power with black, though the Q10 uses, relatively and in absolute terms, much less.
    its also over an inch smaller
    03-27-13 10:02 PM
    its also over an inch smaller
    Well, that covers some of the "absolutely less" part, but you can't use the screen size to explain why with all-black it shows so much less than all-white. ;-) After all, with all-white they're actually in the same ballpark... and I made no effort to see how their brightnesses compared.

Interesting thought though... taking into account the sizes (resolution anyway, not physical size): the Z10 burns 1.0 microwatt per pixel, while the DA C burns 1.6 microwatts per pixel, both at 100%. Now I am curious how their brightness actually compares. :-)
    03-27-13 10:17 PM
    So let me get this straight... the Z10 can do both light and dark, but the Q10 will only be dark?

I'm looking forward to a dark theme on my Z10. I think it would look cool considering the blacked out look of the Z10 (well, mine anyways).
    But I'm also looking forward to the Q10 in general, it feels like I'm cheating on QWERTY keyboards with this new Z10. I'm loving the experience, but I will be getting that Q10 the hot second it's in a T-Mobile store.
    03-27-13 11:37 PM
    So let me get this straight... the Z10 can do both light and dark, but the Q10 will only be dark?

No, both will have dark and light themes. The Q10 will be able to save more battery by using the dark theme than the Z10 due to the OLED screen.

I'm looking forward to a dark theme on my Z10. I think it would look cool considering the blacked out look of the Z10 (well, mine anyways).
    But I'm also looking forward to the Q10 in general, it feels like I'm cheating on QWERTY keyboards with this new Z10. I'm loving the experience, but I will be getting that Q10 the hot second it's in a T-Mobile store.
    And straight it is.

This Z10 will be my main driver for a good while now. Just had few rounds of http://global.blackberry.com/static/...aze/index.html with my mum (she has a brand new Razr HD) and I gotta say: This keyboard works.

But we digress...
    SK122387 likes this.
    03-27-13 11:52 PM
    No, apparently it's supposed to simply be which is the default, at least if we're talking third-party apps. Devs can choose not to explicitly specify a theme, in which case it will end up light on Z10 and dark on Q10. As far as I know, both systems will still support both themes, at least as a dev choice. (Not sure if users will be able to switch themes, at least before 10.2.)

The system apps may well be all-dark on the Q10... I don't know.
    SK122387 likes this.
    03-28-13 06:42 AM
    This doesn't clarify that Dark mode is coming to the Z10, just that it's not there not because of the screen...
    03-28-13 08:38 AM
    Good to see, not surprised though.
    03-28-13 09:41 AM
    No, apparently it's supposed to simply be which is the default, at least if we're talking third-party apps. Devs can choose not to explicitly specify a theme, in which case it will end up light on Z10 and dark on Q10. As far as I know, both systems will still support both themes, at least as a dev choice. (Not sure if users will be able to switch themes, at least before 10.2.)

The system apps may well be all-dark on the Q10... I don't know.

Apps can be light on either device and dark on either device. Its entirely up to the dev.

Instructions are https://developer.blackberry.com/cas...tic_asset.html
    03-28-13 10:30 AM
    This doesn't clarify that Dark mode is coming to the Z10, just that it's not there not because of the screen...
    Ok... N4BB said it won't come. A more than reliable BlackBerry source said "not true". That just can't get any clearer. The mode will come, the power savings the dark mode can provide will be Q10 only.

It's quite simple really.
    03-28-13 11:00 AM

First the Z10:

Well, that covers some of the "absolutely less" part, but you can't use the screen size to explain why with all-black it shows so much less than all-white. ;-) After all, with all-white they're actually in the same ballpark... and I made no effort to see how their brightnesses compared.

Interesting thought though... taking into account the sizes (resolution anyway, not physical size): the Z10 burns 1.0 microwatt per pixel, while the DA C burns 1.6 microwatts per pixel, both at 100%. Now I am curious how their brightness actually compares. :-)
    hmm that doesn't make sense. At 1.6 microwatts vs 1.0 your basically loosing any advantages you had by going OLED. If this ends up being their final power consumption, they may of well of gone LCD3 My guess would be they have yet to optimise BB10.1
    What do you think?
    03-28-13 11:17 AM
40 12