If Blackberry makes partnership with Google to bring Google Services (ie Google Play and others) Sony and Blackberry's smartphone divisions can merge.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...lackberry-ltd/
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-16-14 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Broken link.
    02-16-14 09:35 AM
    After reading the story (fixed the link), there's nothing mentioned about a possible merger, although it does mention his hedge fund is invested in Sony. Rating to help them grow and rebuild, though, is a good thing.
    02-16-14 09:48 AM
    After reading the story (fixed the link), there's nothing mentioned about a possible merger, although it does mention his hedge fund is invested in Sony. Rating to help them grow and rebuild, though, is a good thing.
    It is possible for Blackberry 10 to shift to support Android services - creates possible shift Sony from Android to Blackberry 10
    02-16-14 10:09 AM
    I'm confused on the android apps. Since they are open source & somewhat hackable, wouldn't putting them on your berry make your phone less secure all the way around? Blackberry is known for how secure their devices are, so wouldn't this be a downfall of sorts?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    02-16-14 12:15 PM
    I'm confused on the android apps. Since they are open source & somewhat hackable, wouldn't putting them on your berry make your phone less secure all the way around? Blackberry is known for how secure their devices are, so wouldn't this be a downfall of sorts?

Because they are running in a virtual machine on the OS. These two are separated.

Preisente Preisvergleich -BBworld-> https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=xOG1XHUO
    cleaverton likes this.
    02-16-14 12:19 PM
    It is possible for Blackberry 10 to shift to support Android services - creates possible shift Sony from Android to Blackberry 10
    Isn't Sony in the Open Handset Alliance? If so, they aren't allowed to make handsets that can run Android that are not blessed by Google.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 12:35 PM
    Isn't Sony in the Open Handset Alliance? If so, they aren't allowed to make handsets that can run Android that are not blessed by Google.

Posted via CB10
    Yes Sony won't be making a non-Google android phone. Acer already tried that in 2012 and Google shut it down.

People need to get over the fantasy that BB is going to have access to the PlayStore.
    02-16-14 01:10 PM
    You mean natively? I can already access the playstore through snap

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep, natively and official isn't something that is very likely to happen

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    SNAP allows access to a portion of what Google Play is. In app purchases and Google Services are still inaccessible.

Some think that BlackBerry is working to bring the full Android experience to BlackBerry... we will have to see. But I don't see how it would be good for Google to share.

As for how safe those apps are... you need to read the installation disclaimer.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 02:41 PM

If u are talking bout the android runtime on bb10, you can think of it as an emulator such as myboy emulator that lets u play gba games on your phone. All the runtime on bb10 does is emulates the android apps so we can use it
    cleaverton likes this.
    02-16-14 03:05 PM
    If u are talking bout the android runtime on bb10, you can think of it as an emulator such as myboy emulator that lets u play gba games on your phone. All the runtime on bb10 does is emulates the android apps so we can use it
    I don't buy this argument. Android apps, depending on the permissions they require, can access contacts and files. So while an Android specific virus would likely not be able to compromise the OS, a malware app could still steal or damage your data.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and app_Developer like this.
    02-16-14 07:57 PM
    I don't buy this argument. Android apps, depending on the permissions they require, can access contacts and files. So while an Android specific virus would likely not be able to compromise the OS, a malware app could still steal or damage your data.

Posted via CB10
    I second this

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 07:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes sure. But how is that an Android on BlackBerry specific issue?
    If you allow native BlackBerry apps access to your data they could steal or damage the data as well. That's on all platforms the same, as soon as you give access to anything it can be exploited...

Preisente Preisvergleich -BBworld-> https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=oisCtfD_
    02-17-14 07:05 AM
    With an native app from Blackberry World, you get to pick the permissions. With an Android app and some android ports on BB World, you don't. Now if BB could open the permissions on android apps, that would be different.

When BBM came out for android, there were many counterfeit apps on Google Play. Each one had access to your files and your contacts. That's the security issue here.
    Since Google Play isn't curated to any degree, that is a big problem.
    02-17-14 07:13 AM
    Yes sure. But how is that an Android on BlackBerry specific issue?
    If you allow native BlackBerry apps access to your data they could steal or damage the data as well. That's on all platforms the same, as soon as you give access to anything it can be exploited...

Preisente Preisvergleich -BBworld-> https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=2zXmF7ZI
    I would never give a flashlight app access to my contacts. I have the freedom to choose the permissions I grant to native BlackBerry apps, I don't have the same options with Android apps.

Now here's a hypothetical scenario: while using an Android app, I need to check my bank account. So I minimise the app, open my bank app and enter my banking password. Is there any way that a malware Android app could record my password in that situation and then transmit it without my knowledge?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 07:16 AM
    I would never give a flashlight app access to my contacts. I have the freedom to choose the permissions I grant to native BlackBerry apps, I don't have the same options with Android apps.

Now here's a hypothetical scenario: while using an Android app, I need to check my bank account. So I minimise the app, open my bank app and enter my banking password. Is there any way that a malware Android app could record my password in that situation and then transmit it without my knowledge?

Posted via CB10
    So it all comes down to your personal responsibility for security.

Answering your question (as a developer) I would say yes there is a way but only theoretically.
    If your banking app saves your password/username and so on locally on your device's storage as a blank text file that's accessible for the android vm, then theoretically an android app could be a threat. But saying that there will be no banking app with that security hole.
    So in your case scenario the banking app will be the security issue.

But then said this is no difference to native BlackBerry apps. They can access that data too.

And yes the checking in BlackBerry world is way better than google play (none existing) but you could be clever and hide your malware code or declare it to do something useful.

Edit: the android app cannot directly interact with your native app. It really comes down to the native app storing the password in a faulty way.

Preisente Preisvergleich -BBworld-> https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Td533iJ3
    02-17-14 07:55 AM

They can work on security around Android applications. (Look at the Blackphone)
    02-17-14 07:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    That is why partnership with Google needs to be created
    02-17-14 08:00 AM
    That is why partnership with Google needs to be created
    If such a partnership was possible Samsung would have already done it. They have a new OS Tizen they are trying to get off the ground but it will not have the Playstore or other Google Services, because the rules are clear: Google apps come with Android, not BB10 not Tizen, and if you are already making an Google blessed Android phone you will make no other Android fork.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-14 09:40 AM
    If such a partnership was possible Samsung would have already done it. They have a new OS Tizen they are trying to get off the ground but it will not have the Playstore or other Google Services, because the rules are clear: Google apps come with Android, not BB10 not Tizen, and if you are already making an Google blessed Android phone you will make no other Android fork.
    I am assuming it might happen because Eric Schimdt is a fan of Blackberry. (ie He can pull strings for Blackberry)
    02-17-14 07:30 PM
    I am assuming it might happen because Eric Schimdt is a fan of Blackberry. (ie He can pull strings for Blackberry)
    Not sure what one has to do with the other, just because he's a fan of keyboards doesn't mean he is going to anger Google OEM partners and devs who don't want to optimize their GPlay apps for another platform.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-14 08:06 PM
    If Jesus can walk on water,
    02-17-14 08:13 PM
    Not sure what one has to do with the other, just because he's a fan of keyboards doesn't mean he is going to anger Google OEM partners and devs who don't want to optimize their GPlay apps for another platform.
    Why would they be angry? (It is adding Google services) I do not see the big deal.
    02-18-14 07:26 PM
    Why would they be angry? (It is adding Google services) I do not see the big deal.
    Well its obvious why Android hardware partners wouldn't be happy that BB got Google Mobile Services under different rules than they have to follow. On the developer side, because BB10 is not a true android device they'd probably have to buy the handsets to test and stamp out bugs or risk their coveted good app ratings. Mostly likely many would just exclude their app from being shown in the Playstore of BB10 handsets as the reward/risk proposition just isn't there. Unless you are a top 100 app in your category the developer is one or two people and its just not worth the hassle.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-14 04:17 AM
28 12