Easy fix. WiFi. Put it on all new devices. I would'nt be surprised to see the availability of hotspots increase a lot in the near future. It is already available at Starbucks and others for free. Businesses who want customers to come in and stay for a while will start providing it, knowing that people spend more money the longer they stay. If you can use your phone to stream HD or music over WiFi while you sit and spend money, they will provide that opportunity.
    03-31-10 02:19 AM
    I do love my blackberry, however my eyes are starting to wander when I see specs like 8mp cams, 1ghz processors, plenty of on board memory, etc. The comments from
    Mike Lazardis are not encouraging at all. Could you imagine the CEO of one of the computer manufacturers making a comment like that? I wonder if he has an 8 track player in his car lol
    Actually Bill Gates was once quoted as saying nobody would ever need more than 128mb of memory in a PC (now Windows 7 "recommends" 4GB plus a 2 GB video card). And the CEO of IBM was quoted as saying nobody would ever need a computer in their home, it is totally impractical.

Of course that kind of thinking has driven IBM into the basement to where technology that was ILLEGAL to even bring into China has now been SOLD to China (IBM PCs and laptops gone, Lenovo the new IBM).

Even RIM will change their thinking. But probably too late. Microsoft should have bought them out 5 years ago. At least then we'd have a good reason for why they are so Effed up.
    03-31-10 03:45 AM
    Easy fix. WiFi. Put it on all new devices. I would'nt be surprised to see the availability of hotspots increase a lot in the near future. It is already available at Starbucks and others for free. Businesses who want customers to come in and stay for a while will start providing it, knowing that people spend more money the longer they stay. If you can use your phone to stream HD or music over WiFi while you sit and spend money, they will provide that opportunity.
    This is basically somewhat the premise of WiMAX. However, I don't think it's what needs to happen. Pure wireless outside of hotspots is what needs to grow. People don't want to be tied down to locations anymore then they like being tied down with a subpar handset. If WIFI is available for certain uses (user's choice), then that's good and a benefit to the user. (A good example of this would be if the carriers would allow VoIP across WIFI with no limitations. That way you could be at the office or work or hotspot and VoIP it for no minute charges.) I think ultimately, once LTE becomes the norm for everyone and is widely spread out, you'll see that VoIP becomes the new cell standard to use and the carriers will move to data only plans which they will initially ask you to pay by the GB (depending on how efficient the networks are). This is somewhat bad in my opinion and the carriers should really move to a flat rate system of billing. Heck, we shouldn't even be paying for minute rate plans right now, all available plans should be unlimited minutes for a comfortable price. The only reason you pay too much for unlimited voice or too much for your minute rated plan is because the carrier can get away with it in the market. Imagine if a traditional telco would reimpose a rental charge for a phone in your house and also move to metered billing per minute for both local and long distance like they used to years ago. How long do you think they'd remain in business?

Bottom line, companies get away with what they charge for a service or product as long as the public pays for it. Once that price is no longer reasonable, the company gets forced to change the price or improve the service to offset that bad taste in the customer's mouth. Economically delusional people like to call this supply and demand and good capitalism... lol People as a collective group have a lot of power, we just choose not to use that power for whatever reason we fabricate up.
    03-31-10 08:44 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD