Hello,

I have a verizon 8830. It was recently replaced by a "good as new" refurbed phone....

I have noticed over the past week this device just turns off....I did not power it down...it was just off.

The VZW rep said that the device needs to power down daily and usually does this "at night to prevent you from losing a call"

I sthis true....does it need to power down....?

Thanks

Jim
    09-23-09 06:39 PM
    There is an 8830 specific forum. But I don't recall my 8830 powering down.

Are you sure that they did not leave the Auto On/off mode in place. Check options, Auto on/off.
    09-23-09 06:46 PM
    Non-smartphones should be power-cycled daily which is probably what the rep was thinking about.

Turning a BlackBerry on and off like that doesn't do anything.

Are you sure that you don't have the "Auto On/Off" enabled in the Options?

Having said that, it's not a bad idea to do regular battery pulls with a BlackBerry.
    09-23-09 07:02 PM
    Forgive me for posting in the incorrect forum...kinda new here...

but the "excuse" the rep gaveme for my phone powering down was that it "automatically" shuts down once a day for whatver reason it "needs" to do so....

I am not trying to say it happens as a result of something I have scheduled or purposely done...

I realize a regular battery pull is "good" for my device...

Butshould my phone be randomly shutting down without my having promtped the event to occur....probably not...and it seems to me this is a fault of the device I currently possess...

The VZW rep scheduled my QUick Pull to cycle power at a certain time...I have had this phone for over a year and unless there was a "freeze' NO reason to pull battery....
    Last edited by jimgirdley; 09-23-09 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added info
    09-23-09 09:32 PM
    auto on - off is disabled on my device....
    09-23-09 09:38 PM
    more or less i want to know if this guy is selling me a story or is he right that an 8830 needs to be reset daily and it does it automatically?
    09-23-09 09:40 PM
    No and no. It's not necessary for a BlackBerry to be reset daily and it shouldn't be doing it automatically unless some program or setting is set that way.

But again, the rep probably wasn't intentionally giving wrong information because it IS true that regular phones should be reset daily.
    09-24-09 06:04 AM
    Agreed, that is not normal. The CS rep was out of line telling you that.

In practice, the only time it should power down is when the battery charge drops to a low level, then the network radio should power down to conserve the last remaining power.

At some point after that, the battery will be fully discharged and it will shut down.

09-24-09 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD