I regularly connect my BlackBerry Classic to my TV using an HDMI adapter. Recently, it occurred to me that when I do this I am only a step or two away from creating a BlackBerry Playbook.

Here's what I mean. You can buy various size portable monitors with HDMI that you can hook up to a smartphone. This is a video of how it is done.

OK... Lots of wires and the monitor has no battery. But essentially, you will have a quasi-tablet with your BlackBerry running on it. (The monitor shown in the video is not touch-enabled, so I would be curious if a touch-enabled monitor would work with a BlackBerry.)

Anyway, the next (future) step would be to have a smartphone that has Wi-Gig and a monitor that can receive Wi-Gig. So, less wires. A monitor with a chargeable battery would also be a lot better.

And that's basically it: the D.I.Y. Playbook II. Smartphone makers would be wise to give their customers the option to project their devices on to other surfaces.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 06:52 PM
    Too much effort and money would go into making this work properly.

Just get a cheap Windows 10 tablet and install a BB10 simulator on it. Run it on full screen. There.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-15-15 02:18 PM
    Too much effort and money would go into making this work properly.

Just get a cheap Windows 10 tablet and install a BB10 simulator on it. Run it on full screen. There.
    I think the system requirements for a Windows 10 tablet (especially a cheap Win 10 tab) are too high for this to work.
    09-15-15 03:33 PM
    You can find some cheap win tablets.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-15-15 03:42 PM
    I think the system requirements for a Windows 10 tablet (especially a cheap Win 10 tab) are too high for this to work.
    Well, you can think pretty much whatever you want, it's a right nobody can ever take from you (or at least I hope so!). But I really don't think the idea is that far fetched.

Specially in comparison to the OP's original proposition.
    09-16-15 04:05 PM
    Well, you can think pretty much whatever you want, it's a right nobody can ever take from you (or at least I hope so!). But I really don't think the idea is that far fetched.

Specially in comparison to the OP's original proposition.
    No really, go to the download page for the simulator--you need an Intel core 2.0 Ghz or higher or an AMD Athlon 4200+ or higher with 4 gb of memory and also fairly high graphics requirements NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT or higher, not to mention cpu support for Intel Virtualization Tech. I have a high end Lenovo ThinkPad 8. Windows 10 installed now and no chance for the simulator to run on it. Find me a cheap windows tab that has those requirements and I'll give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-16-15 10:53 PM
    Why not just use your tablet? There is also WiFi mirror cast, no?
    09-17-15 05:31 AM
    No really, go to the download page for the simulator--you need an Intel core 2.0 Ghz or higher or an AMD Athlon 4200+ or higher with 4 gb of memory and also fairly high graphics requirements NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT or higher, not to mention cpu support for Intel Virtualization Tech. I have a high end Lenovo ThinkPad 8. Windows 10 installed now and no chance for the simulator to run on it. Find me a cheap windows tab that has those requirements and I'll give it a try.
    I stand corrected.

Find a cheap W10 Tablet, install the simulator on your PC, have the tablet run Splashtop or TeamViewer and run the simulator this way.

There!
    brookie229 likes this.
    09-17-15 07:59 AM
    An awful lot of work just to get your phone screen on a larger screen lol.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-17-15 08:15 AM
    An awful lot of work just to get your phone screen on a larger screen lol.
    Yep!!
    diegonei likes this.
    09-17-15 08:17 AM