I have my curve set up to my home wireless network (an Apple Airport, not the T-mobile router) and the set up went smoothly.

Now, a week later, when I am at home, the phone sees the Wi-Fi network (it is not grayed out), but keeps the connection to the t-mobile network. I have all the settings in the wi-fi network preferences to connect automatically with WiFi "preferred" when available, but even though it is connected to the Wi-Fi network, the phone doesn't drop the carrier connection at home.

When I turn off the mobile network, the wifi network shows a UMA connection, and I can send and receive calls, but then when I go out I have to remember to turn on the t-mobile network. For some reason it is not switching automatically when my home network is available.

The only thing I can think of is that in my apt by WiFi reception alternates between 2 "bars" and 3 bars. Is there a problem with connection to a network with fluctuating reception? At the same location, my desktop gets "full signal" so is there an issue using a non-T-mobile router and reception?

I am stumped. Turning the phone on and off doesn't work, nor does resetting the router.

Anyone else experience this?
    10-10-07 04:00 PM
    goto manage connections and highlight connection - press menu and disconnect or delete and resetup
    10-10-07 06:56 PM
    same thing was happening to me. I called t-mobile, and they said to take the BB battery out and put it back in, so the phone would reset itself, and it worked. Now its recognizing wifi as soon as I get home, and I get the wifi, plus UMA signal. Also, under "manage connections" and then under "wifi options" make sure that under the list of saved wifi profiles your home network is the second after the @home. Hope this helps, it solved my problem. :-)
    10-12-07 12:00 AM
    hi skybarbie. i might be missing somethin here.

does the Curve drop the network when it's connected to WiFi via UMA? i just wanted to know because i was thinkin if i get hooked up to WiFi at home (just about any WLAN) and do the usual berry things -- push email, browse, IM -- i don't get charged by t-mo no more since i would just be using my home WLAN like i would with a laptop (no network transactions, just transactions with my internet provider)

thanks
    10-15-07 12:08 PM
    Skybarbie, one thing to remember with wi-fi signals is that your desktop/laptop or pcmcia/pci wireless card is built sole for that feature and thats why some can cost upto $80-100. The one on our Curve is so much smaller since its intergrated on our phones.

A second "problem" that I have heard of is that the signals (carrier and wifi) may cause enough interference that when your BB has a weak signal to your router, it cant get a lock.

I was having the same issue and I just delete the profile for my home wifi network and then walked through the setup process again and bingo.

What type of Airport do you have, and what version?
    10-15-07 01:42 PM
    I went through a lot of troubleshooting with T-Mobile on this:

1. Make sure that in Manage Connections->Mobile Network Options that the Connection Preference is set to "Wi-Fi Preferred".

2. Yank the battery and replace it.

Another note on this (I use a brand new Airport Extreme Base at home as well) is that Wi-Fi from a non-T-Mobile branded Wi-Fi access point your battery dies in standby and with limited calls in under 9 hours. I didn't believe that the Linksys point from T-Mobile was better, but sure enough, I got one and with the Linksys for the UMA (I plugged it into the apple basestation and I'm ONLY using it for the phone) I'm back to my usual 1-2 days of battery life depending on how many calls I make. After the rebate they are free anyway, and then you can keep your Airport Extreme at 5ghz and "n-only" for speed.
    10-17-07 01:54 PM
    Another note on this (I use a brand new Airport Extreme Base at home as well) is that Wi-Fi from a non-T-Mobile branded Wi-Fi access point your battery dies in standby and with limited calls in under 9 hours. I didn't believe that the Linksys point from T-Mobile was better, but sure enough, I got one and with the Linksys for the UMA (I plugged it into the apple basestation and I'm ONLY using it for the phone) I'm back to my usual 1-2 days of battery life depending on how many calls I make. After the rebate they are free anyway, and then you can keep your Airport Extreme at 5ghz and "n-only" for speed.
    I agree with selecting the wifi option, but Porthos, you should check your rebate. I was sadly informed that I need to sign up with the H@H service (added 20/mth) and if I didnt, then I would not qualify.

Sfman90 I am running into the same problem. I cant get a lock on my network. I was able to call Tmo H@H support and they told me that there is a problem with the SW and the techs are currently beta testing a fix for the curve and H@H. They said it should be out w/in the next week or 2. I hate having this problem, it take me 10-15 mins to reset and mess around trying to get connected back to my network, just a pain.
    10-18-07 03:02 PM
    If I turn my settings to wi-fi only, I connect fine through UMA and can make a receive calls all day long (I pay the extra money each month for the @home so this is very beneficial to me to connect via the UMA). However I have to change my settings everytime I leave home and work in order to connect via wi-fi and stay connected via UMA, And I need to remember to change back to wi-fi preferred when I leave home and work to be sure I can connect through edge when I am not at a wi-fi connection.
    This is new technology and all the bugs aren't really worked out of it yet.

I work in a complex with several buildings. About 50% of the time, I get and keep a good UMA connection in the building I work in. If I take a walk to the building next door, I seem to get 100% connectivity all the time. Same phone, same routers. I do know that the closest router to me in the building I work in is locked in a storage room and needs to send it's signal through a door and a wall. In the building next door, the router is less restricted.

I do the same thing you do. If I'm going to have a heavy day of usage on my cell phone, I lock the phone down to UMA only and turn off the cell network. Yes it's a pain because you have to remember to switch it back at the end of the day. But it's the best option if you want to make sure your calls are all billed as UMA calls.

UMA will get better with time. Remember the first cell phones years ago? They were all bricks and got horrible reception just about everywhere. UMA will continue to evolve. Believing it will be hassle-free in the immediate future is probably not realistic.

Overall I'm pleased with UMA. It ain't perfect and will improve with time. Kudos to TMo for being the innovator of this new technology.
    02-01-08 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD