I finally talked my non-techie wife into getting a bb and to get rid of her dumb phone. Question is, for her first one should I go curve or bold? We have a business together and she needs to get emails to her device...so her main use will be phone and emails. She is old school and not really into technology so probably won't do much with the device other than that. Will there be no real need to get her the more expensive bold? Will the curve be good enough?

I used an 8330 for a few years and loved it....is the new curve still a good device (9330) or are there any issues with it to steer clear from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 12:12 PM
    I hate the flat, cramped keypad on the Bold enough that I was looking at getting the Curve 3G (9300) from AT&T simply because it has the old style keypad like the 83xx Curve series had. The keypads are the same overall size, but the Curve has nice discreet buttons that you can actually use rather than those flat abominations with the raises edge that the Bold uses. Then I saw the Curve doesn't have contacts for the charging pod so you have to actually plug the cable in to charge the device rather than just drop it in the pod. That was a deal breaker for me. Other than the keypad, the Bold is a good device. If she's going to be using the keypad a lot, I would HIGHLY recommend that you go to a store and try it first. Most people don't seem to have an issue with it, but the ones that do, truly despise it.
    02-06-11 12:43 PM
    I hate the flat, cramped keypad on the Bold enough that I was looking at getting the Curve 3G (9300) from AT&T simply because it has the old style keypad like the 83xx Curve series had. The keypads are the same overall size, but the Curve has nice discreet buttons that you can actually use rather than those flat abominations with the raises edge that the Bold uses. Then I saw the Curve doesn't have contacts for the charging pod so you have to actually plug the cable in to charge the device rather than just drop it in the pod. That was a deal breaker for me. Other than the keypad, the Bold is a good device. If she's going to be using the keypad a lot, I would HIGHLY recommend that you go to a store and try it first. Most people don't seem to have an issue with it, but the ones that do, truly despise it.
    I didn't realize the keyboards were that drastically different. I guess I'll have to take her to the store for a test drive.

02-06-11 12:47 PM
    While I think the Pearl would be perfect for her, your best option with Verizon would be the Curve 9330.
    02-06-11 12:48 PM
    The Curve 9330 has the best keyboard hands down. The Buttons are well defined and not cramped next to Each other.

The Bold has a good keyboard, but not as good as the Curve's. But once you get used to the Bold keyboard, its ok.

On the other hand, the Bold has a better Trackpad, although they look similar from a distance, the Curve's trackpad is not flat, it is a bit bulged out. How would that affect her? Trust me, it would, big time. I have a 9330 before nand the thing with the bulged out trackpad is ,it is more sensitive to dampness, if her fingers were at any point of time, just a bit damp, the motion would not e flluid / smooth. OThe Bold's Trackpad which is almost flat, never has an issue no matter what state your fingers were (damp, dry, not wet offcourse )

Furthermore, the 9300 / 9330 has a very basic camera, 2 MP with no flash, the no flash i a deal breaker.

The screen on the Curve is no where as crisp as the BOLD serious, it is of low resolution.

The battery on the curve is less also

Curve = 1140 mAH
    Bold = 1500 mAH

Like others suggested, let her go for a prolonged test drive at the store. and layout all her needs in a phone.
    02-06-11 12:54 PM
    My recommendation is Curve. While the Bolds look nice, my phone easily does email 24 hours a day and more. I think they are fit for almost anybody who doesn't want/need super advanced, I'm in constant need of contacts and messaging and to me, the Curve couldn't do it better. Good luck in choosing the right one.
    02-06-11 12:56 PM
    Careful, I thought the same thing when I got my wife an 8310 a few years back. She was so anti-technology. She is using the 9800 now and I would have to pry it out of her hands to get at it. You may just unleash a monster.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    02-06-11 12:58 PM
    i would just get her the blackberry torch 9800 thay are really good i have one its like haveing the best of both world with the touch beening very good 9 out of 10 i would say plus you have the old key pad
    02-06-11 12:58 PM
    i would just get her the blackberry torch 9800 thay are really good i have one its like haveing the best of both world with the touch beening very good 9 out of 10 i would say plus you have the old key pad
    I'm on verizon, so that won't cut it....I like the curve idea the more I think about it and the more responses I get telling me to. I have 3 phones on my plan for 2 people so we can probably upgrade in a year if she needs more. However, I don't anticipate "unleashing" a monster.

02-06-11 01:28 PM
    My recommendation is Curve. While the Bolds look nice, my phone easily does email 24 hours a day and more. I think they are fit for almost anybody who doesn't want/need super advanced, I'm in constant need of contacts and messaging and to me, the Curve couldn't do it better. Good luck in choosing the right one.
    I completely agree with this statement!
    +1 for the Curve.

02-06-11 01:38 PM
    I finally talked my non-techie wife into getting a bb and to get rid of her dumb phone. Question is, for her first one should I go curve or bold? We have a business together and she needs to get emails to her device...so her main use will be phone and emails. She is old school and not really into technology so probably won't do much with the device other than that. Will there be no real need to get her the more expensive bold? Will the curve be good enough?

I used an 8330 for a few years and loved it....is the new curve still a good device (9330) or are there any issues with it to steer clear from?

Avoid the Curve series like the plague. Nothing says "I love you" like getting a good smartphone for Valentine's Day. If you give her a Curve you're going to be sleeping on the couch for a few weeks.
    02-06-11 04:19 PM
    Avoid the Curve series like the plague. Nothing says "I love you" like getting a good smartphone for Valentine's Day. If you give her a Curve you're going to be sleeping on the couch for a few weeks.
    Electronics for Valentine's Day should be avoided like the plague. Get her a good phone because she needs one (either the Bold or Curve will fill the bill. Let her make the choice)

Get her flowers candy and/or jewelry for Valentine's Day.
    02-06-11 06:17 PM
    LOL!.....I've been married long enough not to be concerned about this. But I did get a chuckle out of this.

02-06-11 08:20 PM
    Nothing at all wrong with the Curve. But as the OP said, best bet is to have her test drive a few for herself.

02-06-11 08:31 PM
    I agree, she should go to the store and try them both out. I had a bold and now I have Curve 9330 3g and I love the keypad more on the 9330. Hope she finds what shes looking for
    02-06-11 09:09 PM
    + 1, on going to the store to try them both. The Curve is a fine device. I like the Bold keyboard more. Just my opinion.

Last edited by princebb; 02-06-11 at 09:50 PM.
    02-06-11 09:47 PM
    +1 again to trying them out. The keyboards are very different and she will likely have a strong preference. Bold for me.

02-07-11 07:36 AM
    Well since I've had a blackberry started in 2007 I've been using the curve series.. Went from the 8300 (att) 8330 (sprint) now the 9330 (still sprint) I love the series, keyboard is great, battery life is amazing I can get 2 full days out my battery with moderate use! Mostly a lot of sms and bbm messaging, email and some browsing plus facebook! I would definitely start off on a curve.. It won't disappoint! I don't take many pics (maybe one a month) so the camera wasn't a problem for me... I just love the size and the spacing of the keys on the keyboard! Its a great workhorse and it gets the job done! Go for it...

02-07-11 08:57 AM
    Well since I've had a blackberry started in 2007 I've been using the curve series.. Went from the 8300 (att) 8330 (sprint) now the 9330 (still sprint) I love the series, keyboard is great, battery life is amazing I can get 2 full days out my battery with moderate use! Mostly a lot of sms and bbm messaging, email and some browsing plus facebook! I would definitely start off on a curve.. It won't disappoint! I don't take many pics (maybe one a month) so the camera wasn't a problem for me... I just love the size and the spacing of the keys on the keyboard! Its a great workhorse and it gets the job done! Go for it...

Yeah, barring something unforseen I think the 9330 is the winner here. Thanks to all that put in their $.02
    02-07-11 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD